Thinking about getting an imco shorty >

Thinking about getting an imco shorty

Notices

Thinking about getting an imco shorty

Old 09-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer
the only changes to the boat were the lower, the prop and the larger k-planes. I was running a smaller pulley prior to making the mods, so that should not have had any effect whatsoever on the difference in performance numbers. It may have been 78 to 79 mph - in any event, it was a fairly impressive gain. Remember, the shorty allowed me to run a higher pitch propeller - from a 25/27 to a 30. That makes a pretty significant difference alone. As noted above, handling wise, the boat ran better with a flatter attitude. The larger tabs helped to bring it on plane quicker but with the raised x-dimension, there was some finessing of the throttle to avoid prop-blow out. I much preferred the handling of the boat with the shorty over the stock set-up. I have no idea of how it affected cruise speed - logically, it should have improved it, running a higher pitch prop.
In theory sure bigger prop at same rpm = more speed, however slip percentage had to have increased for you to be able to spin a bigger wheel to the same or higher rpms with no change in actual power. So depending on how much the slip percentage was effected in the mid range is going to effect what your cruise speed actually was. You could have cruised the same or slower even though you had a bigger wheel