Notices

Best 25' performance boat

Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 25' performance boat

Hey guys new to the performance boating scene. I have grown up on fishing boats my entire life. 50 mph top speed was the fastest I had ever seen! I buddy took me for a ride in his 19' action with a 200hp and we did 80mph by far the funnest ride I have had and since then I have wanted a performance machine. My goal is something big enough to do a poker run in, small enough to not require twins engines, and I want to build the power plant, so not outboards for me. After a little research the local poker runs in the Miami area all show a minim 25' length and a cruise speed of 60 mph i believe. I am trying to find a fixer up was thinking late 80's early 90 and maybe very early 2000's. I don't know all of the hulls and designs but if you guys could just chime in with a hull design and year range for each model that would be awesome! I have been throwing around the idea of building a twin turbo efi lsx based power plant somewhere around 1000hp, any comments or suggestions would be extremely helpful. I am looking for the knowledge that you cant read in a book but only in trial and error. Also last idea is does anyone have the cons to running an arson surface drive style drive over a convectional bravo drive. I will be running in the Florida bay and the upper keys. I would like to be able to make trips to bimini and back also. If you guys need any more info please feel free to ask and i will provide as much as I can!

thanks again guys and I look forward to your advice and experiences!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 542 Likes on 330 Posts

Hi GM383, http://www.predatorpowerboats.com/c25%20catamaran.htm

Predator has a 25 foot cat built for I/O that can take big block , high HP.

It's a cat with tall sides to go offshore. Was built taller to take a big block with scoops if needed.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Registered

active thunder sonic velocity all great boats of course on a budget check baja and checkmate lots of boat for the money
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Registered

This could be a good hull for you.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/4690594883.html
Old 09-30-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Warlock 25 sxt almost be cheating , lol maybe find a commander 25 open ,with bimini and all ,hop it up and go suprise some people . Plus you could do so much with it when your not racing
Old 09-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe an old Corsa or a Joker, Do you need a Cabin?? if not, try to find a former Race Boat. I'd be careful about taking a Big power tempermental single across the Gulf Stream, Unless you wanted to see North Carolina anyway Or Only go with a Crowd...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered

Poweplay is the best riding and handling 25 I've been in. Trouble is finding one
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My first few thoughts.

#1 Keep in mind the actual length(running surface) of most boats are not what one would guess based off their model number. Built in swim platforms are generally a good clue of this scenario.
#2 Buy as much boat as you can. Unless you have some other restraint besides money, bigger is better!
#3 Skip the 1000hp. Its unrealistic to think your ever going to effectively use it in a 25' boat. Especially in any kind of open water(assuming it gets fairly rough in Florida bay considering its the Atlantic Ocean). The HP will simply be good bar talk. In that size boat a healthy 600-650 will make the boat have enough power to cruise 60. Having said that being enough power, again in a 25' boat in open water I would argue that there are going to be few days when you will cruise at 60 and be very comfortable.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jadento
My first few thoughts.

#1 Keep in mind the actual length(running surface) of most boats are not what one would guess based off their model number. Built in swim platforms are generally a good clue of this scenario.
#2 Buy as much boat as you can. Unless you have some other restraint besides money, bigger is better!
#3 Skip the 1000hp. Its unrealistic to think your ever going to effectively use it in a 25' boat. Especially in any kind of open water(assuming it gets fairly rough in Florida bay considering its the Atlantic Ocean). The HP will simply be good bar talk. In that size boat a healthy 600-650 will make the boat have enough power to cruise 60. Having said that being enough power, again in a 25' boat in open water I would argue that there are going to be few days when you will cruise at 60 and be very comfortable.
Agreed. I feel like that if the OP is looking for older boats he's probably on a budget, one that does not include fitting and tuning a #6, SCX, or ASD-6.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.