Question on big outboard power: >

Question on big outboard power:

Notices

Question on big outboard power:

Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
What I have heard from reliable sources is the the now current 350 Verado that falls into the Mercury Hi Perf division will move to the production Verado engine family & be available as a detuned 350 that doesn't req prem fuel & will be avail w/ the 3yr warranty.

Replacing the 350 will be a 400 out of the Hi Perf division requiring premium fuel & carrying the much more limited warranty.

Don't hold me too it but that's what I'm hearing w/ announcements at the Miami show so everyone w/ a boat on order is hesitant to move forward fearing they miss out on the opportunity.
This "rumor" has been spreading for years and nothing ever comes out, even with info from "reliable sources". When we talked to the engineers at Mercury about this subject, we were told that 350hp+ can't be made without the ram-air style intake of the 350 Verado. They said this system will never be put on a standard production engine. This has been the same answer since the release of the 350 Verado.

More than likely what will be released is a Mercury Racing 350hp, short shaft Verado that weighs about what an Optimax does now.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lightweight 350 Verado woould be a nice upgrade.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwademarine
More than likely what will be released is a Mercury Racing 350hp, short shaft Verado that weighs about what an Optimax does now.
I'd like to see how they would pull that off. Just converting to a 20" SM would not come close to getting it to even within 100 lbs of the 2 stroke. The problem is what's above the mid/lower... the intercooled supercharged 4 stoke will always be a lot heavier than the 2 stroke.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 544 Likes on 330 Posts

I think that MercRacing should reinvent the V8 outboard. If done right with smaller pistons, the fuel consumption will go up, but hopefully not by much and generate in the neighborhood of 400HP to start the sales marketing campaign. Make some money and fine tune it some more to generate 475+HP

No superchargers, and keep it 4-stroke so that the burned oil doesn't go into the lake

...and give us some nice bling to go with the new V8

how about them Merc lowers!

Photo Credits: SnF High Performance Boating Online

Last edited by noli; 10-08-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 544 Likes on 330 Posts

...in open ocean waters I want a bigger cat rather than bigger engines

36' Spectre Outboard conversion - Twin 300XS

Last edited by noli; 10-08-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo rr
There is a widespread problem with the sportmasters. It goes something like this......Under high rpm the fluid pushes out a seal and then sucks water witch compromises the fluid thus damages the lower unit.....a vent kit stops this from happening. It is a common fix for that problem. Do a search for sportmaster vent kit and you see. You guys definitely need it if you dont have it.
It usually pops the shift shaft seal, merc also updated that seal a few years back. I lost 2 shift shaft seals in 2010, since the new upgraded seal I have not had a problem. I dont think you are the first person either to have a 3.0l mid break either. On a high X outboard, you really want the vent kits as the lowers get hot running out of the water. I check/change my gear lube a lot.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo rr
There is a widespread problem with the sportmasters. It goes something like this......Under high rpm the fluid pushes out a seal and then sucks water witch compromises the fluid thus damages the lower unit.....a vent kit stops this from happening. It is a common fix for that problem. Do a search for sportmaster vent kit and you see. You guys definitely need it if you dont have it.
I got my vent kits from Lakeland Marine in AZ and have had no problems with my sportmaster LU's. They are a good idea if you run your boat hard and don't want to push out a seal.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Wow, all this info on the venting.... makes me feel like a dunce!!! I wonder why no one at the marina ever mentioned that to us? They are performance guys too. One of their boats is a Spectre 30 with triples, not sure if they are 2.5's or something else. I know the smoke quite a bit. Their latest ride is a 36' Skater, but that has blown big blocks in in, and I think # 6 outdrives. That's a whole 'nother level of boating!

Anyway, I sure will check into the sportmaster vent kits. Thanks again for that tip. Sounds like they are mandatory for high speed running.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We found out about the vent kits when we had a problem of having water in the lower units. I never heard it before we asked a few people if they had this same problem. To tell you the truth I rarely hear of anyone blowing up a 300xs. Compressors....yes but a whole motor rareley. I really think your buddy needs to buy a used motor or new powerhead and keep on trucking. You are not going to find a more powerfull and fuel efficient outboard motor.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lightspeed
i got a pair of 2011 300xs motors 4 sale one with 47 hrs the other 142hrs
Lightspeed - I tried to reply to our PM's, but your mailbox is full.....

UPDATE: Hello! Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.... we had a death in the family. My oldest brother lost his battle to cancer, and we were in Raleigh NC for that. I even got a speeding ticket in Virginia on my way to see him just hours before he passed, and the trooper would not cut me a break.

Anyway, I told my other brother about your engines. He said he has decided to take the boat to Ocean Outboard in Merrick, where he originally bought it, for a re-power. They were great setting it up the first time, and he wants it done by them again. He has decided to go with 2 new engines! Now, he really hopes the rumors pan out on a higher HP engine like a 400 Verado, but if not, he's going with 2 new 300XS's. I emphasized the low hours on your engines, but he does not want 'used' motors, no matter how little use they have on them. (I wish I had his $$$.)

Anyway, the guys at Ocean Outboard (I think it was Tony Caligure) were great to work with the last time we were there. Hope this all works out as well this time. I will keep you posted, but probably won't have any updates until after the Miami boat show.

Take care, Gary.