Notices

Winterization question?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winterization question?

Do not want this to be the debate, and I realize people have there wayz, BUT I had a buddy tell me he drains the blocks, and manifolds, close up the manifolds, start up with block drains out, let it run through until it spits out the exhaust, give it a rev and kill it, then 1 more quick start and kill, close everything up and call it a day, my process is a little more involved, this seemed a tad easier, and he's been doing it along time, I'm thinking I'd fill the block but what do I know

anyone do this also?
Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

That seems like an awful lot of work every year. Try this. Sell your house. But house in Florida. Never winterize again. 2 easy steps. Haha. Hope someone has the info you seek
Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

am I missing something here antifreeze ???

heres how ive done at least 3-4000 plus 14 years 300 plus boats a year

pull manifold plugs block plugs ect holes are always filled with silt dig em out
replace all plugs in block and manifolds and remove air cleaner .I have a bucket holds 6+gallons of pink stuff with a hose conn for a set of muffs and a shut off valve .I usually set it on swim platform for gravity ..open valve start motor and fogg motor till bucket is empty .been doing it that way all my life never lost 1 yet
open valve start motor .
Old 10-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes antifreeze is run through it, Ive always closed all hoses/drains back up and run it myself, just curious if anyone else ever did it this way,
Old 10-09-2014, 08:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Not all engine manufacturers recommend putting the drain plugs back in and filling the block with anti freeze for winterizations. Indmar even in their owners manual write leave them out and bag them on the steering wheel for a reminder as the boat needs a spring commission.

Also Volvo Penta recommends after all drain plugs out and hoses pulled off to pull the lanyard and crank the engine over for 3 to 5 seconds a couple of times to purge any standing water in the impeller housing and water circ pump and so on. Just saying FWIW.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres the problem,,the thermostat slams shut and the antifreeze goes rite out the exhaust every time..i run mine on the hose until the engine gets warm and i use a bilge pump and a tank to recirculate the antifreeze back into the engine..then i use a refractor to make sure the freeze point is over -34*..i do alot of boats and also never lose one.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDob8um5Xc
Old 10-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

Drain everything you can. Pull the thermostats. Reinstall the housing.. Reinstall all the drains. Hook up 6 gallon container on rv antifreeze to the drive with muffs. Run the motor until the coolant comes out the exhaust and the container is empty.

-------spend the next 5 months on OSO living life through warm weather boaters----

Reinstall of replace the thermostats in the spring and enjoy.....
Or I really like the sell the cold weather house and move south !
Old 10-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Registered

What Coops said , only I use Regular auto anti freeze. More expensive but it has rust inhibitor.