Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015 >

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Notices

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Just to be clear. the "Unlimited Class" did NOT come up with this plan... CMS (2 races) and ENVY (0 races) did, with NO input from us (the guys that actually show up) after JC threatened to cancel the class and move us into SuperBoat class. The "plan" shows very little commitment to developing the class much past a show (3 races/kw). Lucas and Miss Geico are the ONLY ones who showed up and finished consistently. PERIOD. Both teams will now go into Key West with equipment we have raced ALL YEAR to race up against fresh boats waiting it out for the big show.

Doesn't matter I now predict No teams will Pay the 50k for the 3 race series .... We have been here before there is no reason to believe it will be any different. In most cases it's purely financial, the class is obscenely $$ to race competitively.

SBI schedule this year:

Envy- 0 races
Alex and Ani- 0 races
Qatar- 2 races (1 DNS,1-full Race, 1- 5-7 laps)
CMS- 2 races (1 full race, 1- 5 laps)
Fast Marine- 0 Races
Miss G - 6 races
Lucas - 7 Races
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right I guess my point was SBI didnt not come up with it . Certain racers from the unlimited class as u stated.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Registered

Brian
What business do you know that you go to and the owner gives u anything in the store you want for nothing? Go to Walmart fill ur cart and whenu go to the reg tell them u dont want to pay and let us all know how that works out for Lol
Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Great points...... when any new idea comes up all you hear is "kill it before it spreads".....

Bottom line is Offshore racing is no where near what it was or could be, and the current model(s) are not solving the true problem.... lack of unification. Until one organization emerges as the clear leader and eliminates the rest nothing will change. While a third group seems to go against that grain, it may serve to break the stalemate between the two current groups. This stalemate and related rancor has scared off any hopes of major sponsorships and media coverage. Maybe a clean sheet of paper is, in fact, the answer. I have no idea who this group is, nor do I really care. For all I know they may dissolve like an Alka Seltzer tablet. But if they fail because a bunch of boo birds, trying to protect their current sacred status quo, drive them out of town on a rail....then we all lose.......again...ad nauseum.
Hi Rich
to address some of your points, there are a multitude of problems. I have not been around offshore as long as you (almost no one has) but after 30 or so years of being around it and/or involved in it from a racer and promoter side of things here is what I see as some of the points that need to be addressed.
most of the racers today have no concept of how racing was done before. there used to be divisions holding 5+ races a year in their area. most boats other than open, modified, etc raced in their division. the top teams in their class EARNED the right to go to key west to race for the National championship. the national classes ran around the country and raced at certain division sites to become National Champion and then go to key west to race boats from other areas for the World Championship. we need to get back to a concept like this. National Champion needs to mean something again.
I am not a fan of Carbonell mostly because I have seen way too many compromises with rules, etc to try to keep boat count (money) coming.
the only way to fix the problems, IMO, to to get rid of everyone involved and start with a clean sheet. lay out a set of rules and tell the racers that that is it and if their boat does not fit then they cant race. boats need to be built for the class not the class built for the boats that show up. goes back to the professionalism I mentioned before.
I think OPA has done a great job so far but I think they need to be a division of a national organization. they run some great races in the northeast and they need to be allowed to concentrate on that and not allow themselves to get spread thin trying to bail out races all over the country.
APBA and UIM need to be the one and only sanctioning group but APBA needs to step up the program and work stronger with whom ever in the group to make the national race circuit a professional organization. I told racers years ago at a meeting that the reason they were never going to see sponsor money and prize money was in part because of them. I said that the night before I walked through the pits and their crew was sitting on the boat trailer in dirty tee shirts half drunk and if I was their sponsor I would pull the name off the boat. I know that lots on here treat racing like their hobby but if you want to be treated like a professional and get exposure everyone has to act like professionals.
NASCAR trains everyone on how to act in front of the press and how to come across on camera, why? media doesnt like to cover sports figures that look like they are bums.

sorry if anyone takes offense but I have watched year after year of "thats the way we always do it" mentality and yet it continues and the sport continually declines. everyone needs to stop *****ing and start making the right changes.

steve schmidt
Old 10-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Registered

The real answer is money and lost of it, and then someone that is willing to spend it. If someone want to take Millions and through it it to the wind go for it. But I hate to say not many takers, plenty of ppl to say how fuked it is but none of them are willing to write that check and I thinks its pretty fun. Everyone can do it better but they dont, it a thankless no win job with no money to be made. Lots of big name racers have tried ( OSS )and they have come and gone and lost millions trying, didnt take them long to figure it out. They didnt make the millions they were losing trying to promote boat racing being stupid.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paradox
Changes are needed. a$$hole John C to be gone .. Period

Why do you have to call Carbonell names. If you don't like him just don't race with him or don't go to his races. Apparently he is doing something right for some people. You really show how short minded and limited on information you are, and just want try to slander Carbonell. Is it working? NOT!

Last edited by chaser; 10-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by chaser

Why do you have to call Carbonell names. If you don't like him just don't race with him or don't go to his races. Apparently he is doing something right for some people. You really show how short minded and limited on information you are, and just want try to slander Carbonell. Is it working? NOT!
Aren't you the same guy that called Sheikh Hassan a terrorist?

Last edited by Cash Bar; 10-15-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
...Just to be clear. the "Unlimited Class" did NOT come up with this plan... CMS (2 races) and ENVY (0 races) did, with NO input from us (the guys that actually show up) after JC threatened to cancel the class and move us into SuperBoat class. The "plan" shows very little commitment to developing the class much past a show (3 races/kw). Lucas and Miss Geico are the ONLY ones who showed up and finished consistently. PERIOD. Both teams will now go into Key West with equipment we have raced ALL YEAR to race up against fresh boats waiting it out for the big show.

Doesn't matter I now predict No teams will Pay the 50k for the 3 race series .... We have been here before there is no reason to believe it will be any different. In most cases it's purely financial, the class is obscenely $$ to race competitively.

SBI schedule this year:

Envy- 0 races
Alex and Ani- 0 races
Qatar- 2 races (1 DNS,1-full Race, 1- 5-7 laps)
CMS- 2 races (1 full race, 1- 5 laps)
Fast Marine- 0 Races
Miss G - 6 races
Lucas - 7 Races
have to give props here. MGRT and Lucas are far and away the most represented teams on the sbi circuit. mgrt is also responsible for the lions share of attracting new fans to this sport, today.

marc, curious to know your thoughts on mgrt racing in the new org?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chaser
Paradox
I enjoy he passion of the sport, no matter who puts it on or how it's done. That being said, I say it the way I see it. I know you didn't like my comments on FB but it's consistent with my posts here. I am sorry this thread is going off topic a bit, but my OPPINION stands. John C he is what he is, and whatever. The issue is that there are changes should be made, and when there is a change in progress or possible SOME just wants to kill it before it has a chance to do something. The issues with offshore races are old. Very few racers will chime in due to passible future repercussions. I understand that, and I admire all the racers put out. And to answer your questions on FB. I do know many drivers, owners and teams, not all but enough and we do talk behind the seen and giggle about all this. A change is not a bad thing. Give it a chance.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Registered

Last edited by Donzi ZX; 10-16-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Thought it was winter already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.