525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question >

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Notices

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On Time
I have 330 hr stock 525s with flawless performance so far so my ears always perk up when one of these threads gets going. I have a couple of comments and PLEASE find fault with me or correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Why not use the stock replacement springs directly from Merc Racing? What the spring price is about a grand instead of $3-400? Why is that such a big deal if you are getting the known exact replacement with 0 guesswork and I would think whoever the manuf is they might (just might) use an extra stage of quality control on springs resold by Merc Racing even coming off the same assy line.

2) Why change seat pressure, installed height, or any other spec from the Merc Racing recommendation? Its like when I was 17 souping up my 68 Cougar 302 engine. My father used to ask me how me and those speed shop counter jockeys knew so much more than Ford engineers getting paid $250,000 a year. Doesn't Merc build them to last as long as possible?

3) Lets get a true idea of hours on all our virgin 525 top ends. I have 330 original hours. I will start a new thread on this idea.
Don't take this the wrong way but the way something comes originally isn't necessarily the best. The aftermarket doesn't exist because oem was superior. The 8005A is what pretty much everyone uses. About $150 a set. Isky's been around forever. In all honesty I don't think one is better than the other and for that reason I wouldn't triple the cost just to say I got it from merc.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
I have 330 hr stock 525s with flawless performance so far so my ears always perk up when one of these threads gets going. I have a couple of comments and PLEASE find fault with me or correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Why not use the stock replacement springs directly from Merc Racing? What the spring price is about a grand instead of $3-400? Why is that such a big deal if you are getting the known exact replacement with 0 guesswork and I would think whoever the manuf is they might (just might) use an extra stage of quality control on springs resold by Merc Racing even coming off the same assy line.

Because if you go to the time, effort and expense to change the springs, isn't it worth considering a better quality component? As far as assuming Merc's suppliers apply better quality control , that thought kind of went out the window with CMI. The bottom line (pun intended) there is that Merc. Racing dictated to CMI to make an inferior product to reduce cost.

2) Why change seat pressure, installed height, or any other spec from the Merc Racing recommendation? Its like when I was 17 souping up my 68 Cougar 302 engine. My father used to ask me how me and those speed shop counter jockeys knew so much more than Ford engineers getting paid $250,000 a year. Doesn't Merc build them to last as long as possible?

Lasting as long as possible runs counter to Merc's strategy.. they are in the business of selling engines and more engines.. I don't think its a case of anyone being smarter than the Merc engineers; there are a lot of instances of these valve train components failing and this seems to be a common diagnosis of the root cause from some pretty reputable engine guys.

3) Lets get a true idea of hours on all our virgin 525 top ends. I have 330 original hours. I will start a new thread on this idea.
I had 200 hours on one of mine when a rocker arm exploded.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Merc OEM for the kit of 16 that's just valve springs and retainer kit is $1730.22 cents thru retail. Like I said Teague sells the exact same (PAC - MERC) for a third of the price retail and my dealer wholesale price thur Merc is still a lot higher than Teague retail.. So if you have twins that's close to 3500 bucks just for valve springs and retainers ONLY, No labor either. . Now I know why people are getting out of boating.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I still think the springs that Teague gets is from PAC for the 525.
thats what I was told by PAC and they had the exclusive on them.they had them made.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That is correct above ^^^ They have had it for years now. I was face to face with the owner of PAC last year and yes PAC - Merc - Teague they are but he (PAC) would not make any deals for me buying them straight from them.

Last edited by BUP; 10-16-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And let's face it...Merc doesn't make the springs they just create a specification that vendors bid to. Albeit there are likely quality requirements that Merc may audit to but once the vendor meets a first article inspection, and no field problems of significance to Merc are reported....it's dock-to-stock after that. We design and manufacture flight control systems for Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 among others, and we have a10X multiplier for spare parts.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks guys. That gives me a few options to look into and people to talk to. If I end up with any doubts I will buy OEM replacements through a dealer like Bam. This is the Mercury part from Bam's web site, $1,427
24-843081A01 SPRING/RETAINER KIT, (16 Per Kit) 5 $1,730.22 $1,427.44
Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont see how the 8005 or 8205 Isky springs, are direct replacements. I mean yes, they fit, but as far as pressures go, they would be a bunch higher, than what guys are stating the stock pac spring setup is.

Using the 8005A, with an installed height of 1.800, will result in 165lbs of seat pressure

Using the 8205 with the same installed height will result in 185lbs of seat pressure.

using the 8205 SP or Plus tool room spring, 195lbs of seat pressure.

That is a world away, from what guys are claiming of stock spring pressures falling in around 110-120 at the seat. Without "up" retainers, man thats close to coil bind with the stock cam lift I'd say, esp if the valve seats never been cut yet.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Isky 8005A is a direct replacement. I ran them all year no trouble
Just wanted to mention, you have GM cast iron heads. You're stock install height, is a bit taller than the edelbrock setup 525 aluminum heads.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand how any roller setup in a big block can conceivably run properly with 110 psi on the seat. I don't know what the over the nose is on the stock springs but having a controlled valve event that light on the seat seems impossible. If I owned one of these motors I would certainly set the valvetrain up with more spring pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.