525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question >

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Notices

525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

Old 10-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Default 525 EFI Valve Springs, Simple Question

There have been a lot of threads here lately about 525 top end maintenance. Let's just say that I trust Mercury's choice of springs and seat pressure and that I want to replace the springs on my 525 with stock springs and inspect the rockers. I will also do a leak down test first and will pressure test the headers. Should I just order the springs through Mercury or is there another way to get them? Seat pressure and all of the other technicalities have been discussed on the other threads. I just want to know where to get a stock replacement spring set and do this job myself. My engine has never missed a beat for close to 300 hours.
The following users liked this post:
Faster Daddy (02-09-2022)
Old 10-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i bet merc is triple the price, not sure if the 525 valve spring is the same as the 500efi,I know the heads are diff,but the 500 efi the comp 929's work good, im running mine up to 6000rpm with no probs,replace the keepers while your in there, the rockers should be fine

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
There have been a lot of threads here lately about 525 top end maintenance. Let's just say that I trust Mercury's choice of springs and seat pressure and that I want to replace the springs on my 525 with stock springs and inspect the rockers. I will also do a leak down test first and will pressure test the headers. Should I just order the springs through Mercury or is there another way to get them? Seat pressure and all of the other technicalities have been discussed on the other threads. I just want to know where to get a stock replacement spring set and do this job myself. My engine has never missed a beat for close to 300 hours.
I believe Teague Custom Marine sells the OEM springs as does BAM Marine. I'm going through the exact same process this winter and started one of the threads you're probably referring to. If you are going to go through the effort of replacing the springs, its worth having a conversation with some of the really knowledgeable engine guys before you just replace with Merc. parts. I've learned a TON this week about the 525 valve train and it's weaknesses; very eye opening. I won't regurgitate all of the technical stuff here... just suggesting its worth a conversation...
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I believe Teague Custom Marine sells the OEM springs as does BAM Marine. I'm going through the exact same process this winter and started one of the threads you're probably referring to. If you are going to go through the effort of replacing the springs, its worth having a conversation with some of the really knowledgeable engine guys before you just replace with Merc. parts. I've learned a TON this week about the 525 valve train and it's weaknesses; very eye opening. I won't regurgitate all of the technical stuff here... just suggesting its worth a conversation...
OK, I trust Teague and Bam. I just want to be sure that I end up with stock spring pressure. Don't want to rehash the reasons why; That's on the other threads!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get my 525 springs from teague they are the same ones merc use,to do the job properly you need to check your installed height(valves are going to be pushed up a little in heads from wear)also check springs for actual psi some are a little weaker or stronger springs are made in batches,i am not aware of any better spring to use on the 525 head,we use the isky tool room or the comp 929 on most of our builds but we also have more installed height to work with and bigger valve pockets to work with
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the threads here identifies the Isky spring that is a dead cross to the Merc and also another Isky that bumps the seat pressure a tad. I dont have PN in front of me but that's the way I'm going when I'm ready.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isky 8005A is a direct replacement. I ran them all year no trouble
Old 10-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There we go...direct replacement is Isky 8005A and increased seat version 8205
Old 10-16-2014, 08:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

TCM has the springs for about 60 to 65 % less than what Merc sells them for. I can not even buy them wholesale thru Merc to beat Teague's retail price. Those springs are from PAC for the 525. Anyways PAC will not sell you the springs out right. I tried hitting them up in person last year and no deal so I bet Merc and Teague are glad about that one. Teague does have a really great price on them but like everyone else I always try to see about getting the best price especially being a Marine Dealer.

I still think the springs that Teague gets is from PAC for the 525.

Last edited by BUP; 10-16-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 330 hr stock 525s with flawless performance so far so my ears always perk up when one of these threads gets going. I have a couple of comments and PLEASE find fault with me or correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Why not use the stock replacement springs directly from Merc Racing? What the spring price is about a grand instead of $3-400? Why is that such a big deal if you are getting the known exact replacement with 0 guesswork and I would think whoever the manuf is they might (just might) use an extra stage of quality control on springs resold by Merc Racing even coming off the same assy line.

2) Why change seat pressure, installed height, or any other spec from the Merc Racing recommendation? Its like when I was 17 souping up my 68 Cougar 302 engine. My father used to ask me how me and those speed shop counter jockeys knew so much more than Ford engineers getting paid $250,000 a year. Doesn't Merc build them to last as long as possible?

3) Lets get a true idea of hours on all our virgin 525 top ends. I have 330 original hours. I will start a new thread on this idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.