MTI Tests First V 42 with Seven Marine 557 Engines >

MTI Tests First V 42 with Seven Marine 557 Engines

Notices

MTI Tests First V 42 with Seven Marine 557 Engines

Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Outboard or inboard 69k for 557 hp plus a drive. How does that compare to the new merc package?
I think a pair of 700's with NXT's would run about the same speed cost the same and be better on fuel, those three big gear cases in the water have to add a lot of drag vs two surfacing drives
Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 44MTI
Probably not as much as you would think. Randy designed it to accommodate I/O's from the beginning. Bob wanted one with 1350's. Lol.
See you in a couple weeks
TimG and I spoke about that issue. That would be a cool project. The real difference, in my opinion, would be the "usablility" of the CC-type layout. The proper model would probably be the champagne colored one that had the rear sunpad area instead of the 6-seat/rear bench layout.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I think a pair of 700's with NXT's would run about the same speed cost the same and be better on fuel, those three big gear cases in the water have to add a lot of drag vs two surfacing drives
True, but I'll bet $5 you can change spark plugs, oil, and filter, etc on 3 557s in less time than 2 700s....

It's a supercharged car engine. On the transom. With open exhaust. At eye level. I get chills up my spine, which incidentally, is still mildly sore from working on my previous I/Os.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Magnuson Belt driven SuperCharger on the 6.0L in my Chevy CrewCab truck, the 6.0 Is still considered a Smallblock. it impresses the sh*t out of me how a smallblock can light the tires of a 6,500lb truck, can go 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds, can go over 150mph (the truck had more in it, I Did Not ) putting 3-4 of those on the back of a boat has to kick azz. I left the factory 6200rpm rev limiter, get 8 1/2- 9 psi, you can hear Maggie Screaming from 1/2 mile away, they (the LS based motors) are pretty Kick Azz...