Notices

Buffing Gelcoat

Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RT930turbo, Empty your PM box or PM me please.
Cyrus
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cyrus77
RT930turbo, Empty your PM box or PM me please.
Cyrus
Sorry man! Cleaning it out. I'll shoot you my number. Give me a call!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Hey Blake, tried to RE your PM and got a "pm box full" thingie . . . so hear ya go

Yep actually i have a compound i use for exactly that, light oxidation. Fountain of Youth Restore has a compound called Totally Buff that is amazing, not a snake oil product just a well thought out marine compound. Its a diminishing compound that works itself down to a finer polish as you go and it has an odd/cool property that lets it clean itself out of a wool pad (by the way wool ONLY for gelcoat, no foam) As you work the buffer it kinda balls up and flings out of the pad and never gums up. I have done three thirty eights with the same pad and never spurred it a single time pad. After hitting it with Totally i finish up with either Vitreo or Awesome wax (also from FoY) heres a link. All there stuff is great its all i use in my shop

http://www.fountainofyouthrestore.com/products.html

not sure if you saw this thread but theres some good info . . . .

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...vibra-cut.html

good luck man and let me know how it goes
I agree with Dave 110%. I don't have a wrap but do have vinyl graphics and use the totally buff with a wool pad right over the top of my vinyl graphics. On a wrap you should hav a clear layer over your wrap, so there should be no harm to the colors. As a matter of fact, after I polished my boat a few weeks ago (first time since redoing the vinyl graphics) it actually made the vinyl graphics glossier.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been detailing boats professionally for 6 years now and the Fountain of Youth Products is the best Ive used... great stuff.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I received my products in the mail today. I hope my porter cable 7424 will be sufficient enough for the light oxidation. I figured I would run it at about half speed or a little higher for the totally buff and a about 1/4 of the way for the wax.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBlakeNS
Thanks for all the comments. I received my products in the mail today. I hope my porter cable 7424 will be sufficient enough for the light oxidation. I figured I would run it at about half speed or a little higher for the totally buff and a about 1/4 of the way for the wax.
If you are going to use the totally buff compound, I might suggest you try using their Vitreo polish/sealant instead of wax. I haven't put wax on a boat in years. The Vitreo polish, in my opinion, works better than any wax I have ever used and is very easy to apply. There are a lot of arguments on wax vs no wax (not going there....). Before using FOY products I waxed my boat a few times through out the season. With the Vitreo I only use it at the beginning of the season and it lasts the entire summer (I do store indoors). When I outdoor stored I would apply by machine in the spring (after totally buff). Then once by hand about the mid point of the summer. Either way you go, let us know what you think of the Totally buff. I'd bet you will become on of the many FOY fans. Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what I have. Totally buff and vetreo. Just couldn't think of the name at the time. I'll get some before and afters the next couple of weeks. Heading out on vacation tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CBlakeNS
You'll want to work the compound at maybe half speed but as the compound breaks down ramp up the speed, as it heats up you'll see the gloss start to come out. I genetally buff in the spring with Totally hit with Vitreo then maintain it with Quick Shine spray detailer (also from FOY)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

So what you are saying is that if I hate buffing and polishing my boat because of less than desired results this stuff will change my mind. I'm not a stranger to hard work just older now and don't like wasting my time. Boat is 31 Sonic, mostly white, not chalky, just not bright as I'd like.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

what year is it? I dont know that it makes it any easier, buffin is buffin and if your doing it right it takes some elbow grease. What this stuff does is maximize your effort, its a real well thought group of products that work . . . .

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...vibra-cut.html
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.