Notices

Got #%ucked again

Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HALLETT FAN
You want something with a warranty , buy new ...if not , roll the dice and take your chances ! It is a safe assumption that any used boat is gonna have problems . their boats , not a Toyota or Honda !
The 2 main issues I have is
1) he didn't check the oil after run
2) he informed me that the clock didn't advance till the day after I was home with the boat.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
2) he informed me that the clock didn't advance till the day after I was home with the boat.
yep I agree , and that is the only leg you have to stand on.I would get back with him and the owners about the hour issue . and ask them how many hours are really on the engines.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Hey Mike whats up?
You back on the boat?

I doubt the survey included any mechanical testing other than running and outside visual inspection,A mechanical is a completely separate survey most of the time and cost about the same if not more as a hull survey,

If Cozzi from on the board here is still working he would be the one to hire . His wife got sick a while back so don't see him here lately

I think the only leg he will have to stand on is the issue with him not informing the buyer that the hour meter is most likely incorrect as it was not functioning.

Both would be an issue for me but more so #2.

I can't imagine him not getting you a full detailed report prior to delivery of the boat. That is bad on his part.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Off to another subject a second. Drew did you perform the leak down or did you hire someone to do it. How do the engines run other than smoking ?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

98-502 merc efi engines correct?
all you have to do is scan the ecu and that will give you the true hours,,I am sure your inspector at least hooked up a scanner,if not take it to any Merc dealer and they can scan it ,,all it takes is a couple of minutes
Old 10-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Registered

Off to another subject a second. Drew did you perform the leak down or did you hire someone to do it. How do the engines run other than smoking ?
They only smoked on start up. I figured it was valve guides and tried using that for better negotiation. The seller told me it was impossible he just rebuilt the heads. I didn't think about that statement until the day after when I was told the hour clock was not accurate. That should've been my first indication that there was more than 138 hours on the boat. The boat runs okay I can only turn 4600 rpm's with a 28 for blade propeller. I should be around 52 5300 rpm's. I had my guy do the leak down to see exactly where we're at. The surveyor will not even email me back anymore nor will the broker.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They only smoked on start up. I figured it was valve guides and tried using that for better negotiation. The seller told me it was impossible he just rebuilt the heads. I didn't think about that statement until the day after when I was told the hour clock was not accurate. That should've been my first indication that there was more than 138 hours on the boat. The boat runs okay I can only turn 4600 rpm's with a 28 for blade propeller. I should be around 52 5300 rpm's. I had my guy do the leak down to see exactly where we're at. The surveyor will not even email me back anymore nor will the broker.
if the surveyor will not call you back,,,,,,,then call him out on this board.bet that will get there attention.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

oK I think the old fuel could be contributing to your smoking.So the only indication of the motors not running well is they are not turning up the full RPMs. I just can't see both motors being worn out at the same time.Does the smoking clear up after initial startup or do you see it continuously?

I will tell you a little something about 3 year old gas I had some I put in my truck to get rid of that was sitting in cans on a big boat I took care of. I poured 5 gallons in my tank the truck would not even run dump another 15 on it still barely ran, put a can of seafoam octane booster it ran a little better. Every 3 gallons i burned i topped off the tank again I went thru 30 gallons before the truck ran right again.

I had 7 cans left so we used it for saturday night fires at the house. It would barely ignite in a fire it was like diesel the way it burned.

I would pump out every last drop of fuel and put some new fuel in it and run it but before I took it out i would have your guy put a camera down all the holes and make sure there is not already detonation damage

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-30-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

oK I think the old fuel could be contributing to your smoking.So the only indication of the motors not running well is they are not turning up the full RPMs. I just can't see both motors being worn out at the same time.Does the smoking clear up after initial startup or do you see it continuously?

I will tell you a little something about 3 year old gas I had some I put in my truck to get rid of that was sitting in cans on a big boat I took care of. I poured 5 gallons in my tank the truck would not even run dump another 15 on it still barely ran, put a can of seafoam octane booster it ran a little better. Every 3 gallons i burned i topped off the tank again I went thru 30 gallons before the truck ran right again.

I had 7 cans left so we used it for saturday night fires at the house. It would barely ignite in a fire it was like diesel the way it burned.

I would pump out every last drop of fuel and put some new fuel in it and run it but before I took it out i would have your guy put a camera down all the holes and make sure there is not already detonation damage
There not both bad motors. One is at 60% and the milk dud one is at 40 in the best hole
Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Does your guy have a scan tool to check the hours.? Have you ran them on the hose and do they smoke the whole time?

Also has the milkshake returned ? How many oil changes did you do on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.