Notices

Rumors about Miami.....

Old 11-02-2014, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

we were told that the show will not be at the convention center next year by show officials. The center is getting a large redo (which is needed). They also made changes this year outside, moving many vendors around, large tents not many small ones outside. .... our tent was 5 hrs late getting put up last year.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, but I am going this year. Never been before is most of it at the convention center? Or is it a few different sites, tks
Old 11-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Off topic, but I am going this year. Never been before is most of it at the convention center? Or is it a few different sites, tks
Different sites but all easy to get too. Most all the big power boats though are at the Convention center. Make sure and see it all though, well worth it IMO.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Honestly I think the boat show is a run of the mill event for the city, and any plans for the convention center/ accommodations will most likely not take the boat show into account. They are going to build whatever will generate the most revenue for the city. The boat show will have to work with what they build not the other way around. As a local the boat show chaos is the only time it doesn't bother me, the rest of these events are a clusterf**k and traffic gets worse and worse every year. Also for you out of towners you come and see the city when it is busiest, everybody and there brother comes down here from October to March!
While I agree with you on many things, my friend, I would have to generally disagree with you on the Miami Boat Show being a "run of the mill event' for your city and state. In fact, I would argue, that despite the decline in the powerboating industry and market in the past ten years, it is in the top two or three annual events for your fair city. Consider the following.

From a 2013 National Marine Manufacturers Association press release:

"The 2013 Progressive® Insurance Miami International Boat Show® generated an economic output of $597 million in Florida as a result of out-of-state purchases and expenditures at the show and supported 6,592 full-time jobs, according to an economic impact analysis released today by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA)". http://www.miamiboatshow.com/press/news.aspx?id=18672

OK, you say, that's just a press release, just the NMAA shilling for the industry. Fair enough, I mean, what do they know about the direct economic impact to the area? Fair enough. So then, consider this part of the release.

"Exhibitors expended $18.9 million on local goods and services, such as hotels, restaurants, retail and local transportation. Such expenditures were the beginning of economic impacts throughout the county, the region and state"

I think you can reasonably assume that the NMMA knows what its members spend locally, and the figure doesn't account for A) The exorbitant cost and resulting revenues taken in for exhibiting in the show. B) The exorbitant amount of money exhibitors and attendees spend on awful food and drinks while in the show. C) The exorbitant sums spent by show visitors and idiots such as me on overpriced South Beach hotel rooms and meals.

Still, you struggle with information generated by an organization that represents the industry in question. Again, fair enough. You'd like to hear from Miami itself. So check out this link (http://miami.eventguide.com/annual_events_overview.html) and ask yourself, why does the city list the event so highly in its annual event self promotion? It also lists the South Florida Auto Show, and with the auto world being a bunch bigger than the boat world I'd guess that one brings even more revenue to the city. But does the largest consumer boat show in the country and the industry behind it do more for the local economy and the state in general? Oh yeah. Check this out.

"In the 2014 budget year, Broward's marine industry accounted for an estimated economic impact of $8.8 billion in gross output, including jobs and earnings, up from $7.4 billion in 2010, the last time the study was updated." (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...030-story.html)

Clearly, the convention center people themselves think its a big enough event to give high billing. Check it out.

"Major annual trade shows here include the Jewelers International Showcase (three times annually) and the Seatrade Cruise Shipping Conference/Expo. The MBCC annual calendar also boasts some of the nation's premiere public events, including America's largest consumer show, the Miami International Boat Show, the South Florida International Auto Show, currently the third largest in the United States, and North America's most important contemporary art fair, Art Basel Miami Beach.
(http://www.miamibeachconvention.com/100/FastFacts.asp)

Anyone can do a Google search—I wouldn't describe it as hardcore research, so on that you'll get no argument from me. I would, however, gently suggest that show is hardly a "run-of-the mill annual event" (the Super Bowl, which surely trounces all, can't be considered because we are talking annual events) for Miami. And I would also ask: Why do you live in a tourist town if you hate tourists. (I grew up in one of those towns, too, and while I hated tourists I appreciated the income they provided for me as a waiter and lifeguard every summer while I was in college.)

The show will go on during construction, and I'm pretty sure that, once the convention center is completed, the decision-makers there will welcome it back inside with rather open arms.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 11-03-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt as we both know those "studies" are worthless, they make it sound like the entire marine industry only exists because of the boat show. $18.9 million, thats only one condo unit in many of the high end buildings here! I'm not saying the boat show isn't a big event, I'm saying the city is not going to base its convention center plans around the boat show. They are after the convention business also that places like Vegas get a lot of.

I love the boat show it is my favorite event of the whole year! I wish it was twice a year!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by pstorti
Matt as we both know those "studies" are worthless, they make it sound like the entire marine industry only exists because of the boat show. $18.9 million, thats only one condo unit in many of the high end buildings here! I'm not saying the boat show isn't a big event, I'm saying the city is not going to base its convention center plans around the boat show. They are after the convention business also that places like Vegas get a lot of.

I love the boat show it is my favorite event of the whole year! I wish it was twice a year!
So, throw out all the numbers—and the inherently biased position of the NMMA. What you're still left with is that both the convention center and the city of Miami still consider the boat show to be a significant event that neither entity would want to lose. And, of course, I agree with you that convention center won't plan its rebirth around a single event.

Like today's new professional baseball venues, today's new convention centers need to be comfortable and attractive for everyone involved, and the current Miami convention center is neither. The days of throwing up a concrete barn and expecting exhibitors and visitors to flock to it simply based on the exhibits inside and the venue being "the only game in town" that can accommodate such a large event are long gone. That's become even more true when it comes to "trade" shows, which across most industries have declined sharply in the past 20 years. Digital/modern communication has eliminated the need for so much that went on at trade shows such as the former IMTEC marine trade event in Chicago, what used to be the largest marine trade show in the country. And yet ... something, I would say communities within their given industries, has been lost. (But I digress.)

As for the traffic problems created by the convention center's location, whoever solves that one should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 11-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
So, throw out all the numbers—and the inherently biased position of the NMMA. What you're still left with is that both the convention center and the city of Miami still consider the boat show to be a significant event that neither entity would want to lose. And, of course, I agree with you that convention center won't plan its rebirth around a single event.

Like today's new professional baseball venues, today's new convention centers need to be comfortable and attractive for everyone involved, and the current Miami convention center is neither. The days of throwing up a concrete barn and expecting exhibitors and visitors to flock to it simply based on the exhibits inside and the venue being "the only game in town" that can accommodate such a large event are long gone. That's become even more true when it comes to "trade" shows, which across most industries have declined sharply in the past 20 years. Digital/modern communication has eliminated the need for so much that went on at trade shows such as the former IMTEC marine trade event in Chicago, what used to be the largest marine trade show in the country. And yet ... something, I would say communities within their given industries, has been lost. (But I digress.)

As for the traffic problems created by the convention center's location, whoever solves that one should get the Nobel Peace Prize.
Matt you would also have to consider what the "new convention center" will cost the participants as well. Many boat companies have forgone participation in local boat shows due to the huge expense in displaying and the gamble of potential sales isn't worth the expense. Now for huge companies like Brunswick with large production numbers (SeaRay, Boston Whaler etc) then it is the cost of doing business but for a small performance builder (10-20 boats a year), Miami might just not be worth it anymore especially if you are going to be lost in a sea of tents mixed in with a menagerie of vendors.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Matt you would also have to consider what the "new convention center" will cost the participants as well. Many boat companies have forgone participation in local boat shows due to the huge expense in displaying and the gamble of potential sales isn't worth the expense. Now for huge companies like Brunswick with large production numbers (SeaRay, Boston Whaler etc) then it is the cost of doing business but for a small performance builder (10-20 boats a year), Miami might just not be worth it anymore especially if you are going to be lost in a sea of tents mixed in with a menagerie of vendors.
Absolutely legitimate observation and concern, and even for the giant builders.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently the city has kicked the show out for 2016. However, the remodel plans have been placed on hold for some revisions so that may change. Regardless, operators of the show have been advised they need a new location for 2016 as of about two months ago. With the required revisions now being required, that may have changed but I have yet to hear it.

Discussions for a new land location include Marlins stadium the first year, then perhaps moving to Marine Stadium and doing some massive consolidation there. They already do temporary docks, think FTL show type layout with a separate area for in water demos..
Old 11-12-2014, 04:03 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Info: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le3791045.html

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.