Notices

So what is DDos??

Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default So what is DDos??

Went looking for the root of evil in reference to our problems in logging on to OSO. Some may know this already, most us probably don't.

http://www.incapsula.com/ddos/ddos-a...f-service.html
Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know what DDs are. :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The Wikipedia page has some good info concerning dos/ddos attacks. I noticed all the posts concerning/asking about the CloudFlare dos protection service page coming up, a well known service. Kinda funny, that you all are on the forums and use email and the internet daily, yet are unaware of one of the most common methods to cause service interruption. With every Gov. site being hit, along with the banks, and other corporate networks under constant attack, for the past 20 years, and in the news daily, it really shows how little time the average joe spends learning about internet security. Something you should be very concerned about, as your computer could be one of the zombies used in a ddos attack. Which is why you were seeing that CloudFlare page, as every connection to the website must be inspected so that all compromised systems being used for the dos attack can be blocked.

Some of you guys remind me of the water cops not knowing what port or starboard is, even though they are on the water in a boat on a regular basis.

The safest thing to do is use an AirWall, in other words never connect to the internet. Since that is unrealistic, always use commonly used tools.

Hardware Firewall
IDS (intrusion detection system) like Untangle https://www.untangle.com/
Virus detection software for you Windows users
Use the most recent browser release, newly released updated browsers close known security holes. Your browser can get infected, which will then attack your operating system, simply by going to a website that is hosting malicious content. Irrespective of which browser you use.

Always update your operating system when there are updates, the updates close known security holes. With windows not only the critical, but the suggested updates as well. One of the most common reasons I have seen for why peoples computers get cracked, is that they do not do updates. Do not rely on the updates being done automatically, check for new updates manually.

9 times out of 10, when I have inspected a compromised operating system, people were running old software and did not do updates, and ran no firewall. Windows when connected via broadband, if not updated, and running a firewall, will be infected by a worm, within 5-15 minutes.

On servers I run, I see from hundreds, to tens of thousands of attempted attacks daily. All ip address's are always being scanned for vulnerabilities, that includes your ip address. For fun I have placed a sniffer in front of my home network just to see what is going on out there, constant scanning and attempts at access. Even though ISP's do attempt to limit such activity. If you are not running a firewall, those attempts go directly to you computer. Firewall is like the front door to your house, if you do not lock it, someone is going to walk right in and take what they want, eat your food and sleep in your bed, while they keep you locked up in the bathroom, or worse. Having a firewall and intrusion detection with activity scanning, is like having a fence around your house with a locked gate, dogs, bars on the windows and locked front door, and security alarm. You will not stop the determined prepared and knowledgeable criminal, but you will in most cases stop the criminals driving around looking for easy pickings.

Majority of the scans are done by what is called script kiddies, those are people looking to crack into peoples computers, while using code other people have written, while they themselves have little to no actual skills. There are tens of millions of script kiddies out there, while there are hundreds of millions of zombie computers, computers that are controlled by script kiddies or others, that are used to scan, attack and infiltrate computers and or networks. Kinda like robbing a bank, would it better to rob it your self, or get someone else to do it for you. Of course just like the apprehended suspect, the zombie computer can rat out the real ring leader. Problem is, there are hundreds of millions of zombie computers, far to many for law enforcement to do anything about. The only people that can combat these kind of attacks are the average computer users. That means everyone using basic security practices, as the low hanging fruit will always be grabbed first.

A Distributed Denial Of Service attack is what OSO is experiencing. A group of zombie computers directing attacks at its network or domain it self, to interrupt service. While also possibly attempting to infiltrate deeper into the network and into the servers themselves, perhaps looking for access to private and credit card information. Loading up a network can sometimes flush out vulnerabilities, or cause network administrators to make changes, causing a mistake to be made and taken advantage of.

Corporate organization are common targets, to impact and interrupt service to it's customers and increase costs, the new age battlefield. This kind of thing is common to all network administrators and is a daily occurrence, to varying degrees. This is all nothing new, has been going on since the very first use of the internet in ww2 for secure communication, which is what the internet was originally designed for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial...ributed_attack
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_worm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_kiddie
Old 11-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by spazboz
I know what DDS are. :-)
Yes sir, that Wrinkly DDS from fenton is a definite trouble maker!!!