Notices

Boat without Clear Title

Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat without Clear Title

This might be a dumb question but has anyone done a private sale without a clear title. I found what looks to be a good deal on a Baja Outlaw. I had everything lined up and was ready to pick the boat up tomorrow and reassured to the seller that the titles were clear. He ended up telling me the titles still had a lien on it although his eBay listing clearly states "titles in hand."

When I confronted him about it, he said all we have to do is go to the bank and wire the money to the lien holder and I would instantly have a clear title. It sounds hokey to me. When I told him I won't do the deal without clear titles, he told me "not everybody can come up with 30k cash like you."

Anybody else have a similar experience buying a boat? I am tempted to go through a broker from now on.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Do it at the the bank, not national marine
Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you go to the bank with him (assuming it's local) you can get verification of payoff and stipulate in your purchase agreement that the title must be provided within xx days.
Like he said, if there is a loan on the boat and he doesn't have enough cash to pay it off first, then there really is no other option. I guess it all boils down to whether you feel comfortable with the guy and he seems like a straight shooter. Again, the bank should be able to verify the payoff and that a clear title will be released. Some banks keep the titles on site, and others keep them elsewhere and must be mailed. Just do your due diligence.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered

i am pretty sure the bank he financed through is not local.

What do you guys recommend if this is the case?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Registered

This is often the case with car sales . . .and private transactions, I suggest a visit to the bank with the seller . .. allows you to hold onto your money, ask the sellers bank what they want cashiers or certified check before you go.
This should be a simple process.
Good Luck!
Mario L.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Did you get the pay off from the seller or bank, the debt has to be paid in full before the liens will be released from the titles, make sure he doesn't owe more than he's asking for the boat, good luck
Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Happens all the time. Hopefully he uses a local bank that you can walk into. If not, then figure out plan B. Maybe make out a check payable only to the bank for the lien amount so only the bank can cash it and release the lein.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

RUN FORREST RUN!!!

1. douchbag advertised boat with clean titles in hand on ebay.....that was 100% a lie what more do you need to know....BUT.....if for some reason that was not enough

2. from what I am reading that you are saying he is in fact NOT saying that you can go to the bank that has the lien and the titles in hand and pay off the boat what this lying sack of crap is saying is that you can go to "the bank" (being your bank) and then you can send money to Haiti, Nigeria, Switzerland, Botswana, Mainland China ect and "lien holder" somehow magically produces the titles in your hand instantaneous

Who in TF thinks THAT will happen....perhaps if you could inject something deadly into his neck that will dissolve and kill him in 5 days if the clean and clear titles do not appear (like in Snake Pliskins neck in Escape From New York) and you are ready to take a dead body instead of a boat with clear title I might consider that.....oh wait no I wouldn't because WTF do I want a dead body and a boat I can't title for?

3. what type of an asshat that LIES on ebay about having clean titles in hand and that is selling a PERFORMANCE BOAT makes a comment like "not everyone has $30,000 on hand like you"......oh yea I know what type of asshat makes that type of comment the type of over extended, entitled ass munch that buys a high performance boat that he can't afford and then has to sell it and is bitter about it and so he is going to RIP OFF someone else by putting a BS listing on ebay in hopes that he will find someone that actually buys into the logic of someone with a Baja Outlaw either not being able to come up with $30,000 to clear up the titles for a boat he is trying to sell and that he LISTED ON PURPOSE with CLEAR TITLES even though he has a lien on the boat and furthermore he is too stupid to even figure out a way to get the titles to the local spot so that someone can actually get titles in hand the moment the money changes hands instead of acting like wiring money to Fiji guarantees that "boom!" titles show up clean and clear in a few days with VIN numbers that actually match the hull

4. you need to kick this loser in the nuts and report him to EBAY and move on to one of the other 10,578,053 Baja Outlaws that are for sale in the world even if they are not the "killer" (to your financial soundeness) deal that this boat is

5. he lied about the most important aspect of a major financial transaction.....but yea the boat was serviced with an open check book right

RUN FORREST RUN!!!!!

Last edited by TexasVines; 11-06-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

id like to hear some more input.

I did a search on this guys name and on a previous power boat forum and he was caught in 2009 asking a guy for pictures of his boat and then listing the pictures and a description under his name selling the boat.

I am taking all pre-cautions with this guy and now I am at a road block with his titles not being at a local bank
Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,047 Likes on 1,357 Posts

:b ong:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.