Notices

Key West Racing questions

Old 11-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key West Racing questions

How do the boats avoid ingesting water when they are in a rooster tail?
When towing large cats on their side does it not have an effect on the fluids in the motor and the fuel?
The smaller boats like Snowy Mountain and SB VEE P3 and P4 have large rooster tails, what kind of drives would they be running?
Lastly with the big cats how does a 1350 CMS boat out run a 1650 Geico?
I would think an extra 600 HP would be a huge advantage?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
How do the boats avoid ingesting water when they are in a rooster tail?
When towing large cats on their side does it not have an effect on the fluids in the motor and the fuel?
The smaller boats like Snowy Mountain and SB VEE P3 and P4 have large rooster tails, what kind of drives would they be running?
Lastly with the big cats how does a 1350 CMS boat out run a 1650 Geico?
I would think an extra 600 HP would be a huge advantage?
The air intake dumps the air into the bilge, or has some sort of water stop to drop the water in front of the motor. But sometimes, water does get into the intake and causes problems. This was always a huge problem for the turbine boats. Turbines love fresh water, but hate salt water. The salt dries on the turbine blades and causes it to go out of balance. Then boom!!!

Tilted boats remove the oil from the engines and have little fuel on board.

SVL class is bravo drive only class. The Tilted Kilt P3 boat has surface drives. Anything goes in the P Classes as far as equipment.

Not sure about the power in the boats. I would think Bob Bull would have the biggest motors available from Mercury in both boats, and if Geico had any "Issues".....who knows. These guys have raced against each other a few times. CMS has all the good stuff....so does Geico...enjoy the show. I am.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Dry sump engines and fuel vents on the high side of the tilt trailer also work well.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Turbines also have fresh water washdowns INSIDE the motor. Get blasted by salt water you flip a switch like washing the windshield on the car, sparays fresh water into the turbine to hopefully rinse away the salt. You would think this would slow it down but the fresh water rinse increases the density and actualy makes MORE power..

And if you think the 1350 is making 1350 and the 1650 making 1650, I have waterfront gaurdian mode property in Arizona you might be interested in.

And as with car racing, how much hp you have only goes so far, you have to be able to get that power to the ground (albiet water) and hooked up for that power to make any differance.

Last edited by phragle; 11-08-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Does the dry sump allow them to not change the oil each time it's tilted then? I would think it would be a massive pain to always have to drain the oil every time you take it out if it's trailered somewhere. I remember seeing some cats parked in Key West a few years ago that had stock looking 525efi's that were tilted up......if those were stock and not dry sump would they need to drain them each time?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered

Both CMS boats are running 1650 motors this year
Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat
Both CMS boats are running 1650 motors this year
1650 plus some
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbobb
Does the dry sump allow them to not change the oil each time it's tilted then? I would think it would be a massive pain to always have to drain the oil every time you take it out if it's trailered somewhere. I remember seeing some cats parked in Key West a few years ago that had stock looking 525efi's that were tilted up......if those were stock and not dry sump would they need to drain them each time?
Dry sump engines suck the oil out of the pan and store it in a can mounted in the engine compartment. Stock 525s would need the oil drained to use a tilt trailer. Fuel vents on low side can be sealed.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by GATORONE
1650 plus some
With 4 Spares in the trailer that I saw! NICE!!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
With 4 Spares in the trailer that I saw! NICE!!!!
Plus the two that were shipped in mid week(. Or what I had on the forklift was krates full of lead !)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.