Notices

35 Cafe Racer Review???

Old 11-21-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I would suspect you will be disappointed in a 20-25 yr old boat with less HP than your 370ss. Yeah you can get the T-shirt and be in the #1 club for cheap money but not sure you will be happy.

It would be kind of like taking Christie Brinkley out on a date today in a Ferrari 308, sounds fun until you realize those vacation movies were from 1985 and both her and the car have had a lot of miles on them since the movie came out!
You might be right, the Cafe might not be able to fit my standard wknd crew
Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 370ss500efi
So the Cafe I am looking at has 540 blower motors, north of 750 HP and a mid 80's boat, so I am told. Do you think these numbers add up and are true?
The thread on this boat was from a day ago
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...e-racer-3.html

F the 308, I ll put that piece of AS* Christie in the 1964 Nova and show Chevy Chase how he should of done it!!!
I had a 35 TG (basically the same bottom as a Cafe) with 825HP per side that ran upper 80's to low 90's, so the numbers sound about right.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I like my cafe and they seem to be priced right these days for the entry level guy, but at THIS point in my life I am fine knowing it is slow. Yes, it is 30 year OLD technology, but I think CIG's have a sexiness that I don't see in may other boats brands.

I personally like the 1990+ cabin better than the pre-1990 cabin but I can see the appeal of having two couches downstairs. Frankly with cocktail oriented friends you will probably get more use out of the 2 couches than the mini table.

Cafe's aren't known for Rot except around the tab issue noted above. Regarding the Notched Transom - odds are VERY slim you will be looking at one of those. If you do I believe that you could PM BLee on here and he could tell you how they run - he is the only person I have ever seen produce a picture of one. I think only 2 or 3 were made with a notch.

Mid 80's is probably right. Regarding your first question I think 575 HP Bravo boats will run about 75 consistently.

Jupiter Sunsation forgot to mention that they also make great towels and coozies, both of which you'd be entitled to own.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Jupiter Sunsation forgot to mention that they also make great towels and coozies, both of which you'd be entitled to own.
hahaha......but don't forget that Cig factory is tough to get an order out of and when you see the price of the towels you might not want to buy them!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a 90 with 750 hawks and #3's, ran mid 80's and sold last year for $65k however it had a new dash from Zero Patience, newer interior, new hullside paint and was freshwater since 1991.

Erik
Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
hahaha......but don't forget that Cig factory is tough to get an order out of and when you see the price of the towels you might not want to buy them!
The Towels are ridiculous. I don't own one; couldn't afford to put fuel in the boat if I did.....

My wife has bought a couple shirts for me over the years, but half the time she calls she gets "Ma'am, we don't have any XL White shirts right now but we do have a Medium Pink - is that alright??"
Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Your projected speeds are correct on the boat with that kind of power. Cafe's have a great cabin and look to them. Running 80's in a café is a really solid ride. SSM would be a way better setup then Bravo's for that kind of power. Good luck. Plenty of great priced Cafe's around, if I were shopping for one, I would look around and make legitimate offers in person. No reason to buy one just because its close. Get the best one for the best deal. Sometimes it takes a trip to make it happen, but better to buy a great machine at a good price that you can sell down the road if you want to get out of it, then hop on something that needs work, has fugly graphics and you need to own for the rest of your life because you can't sell it. just because its in your backyard. A $800 plane ride is better then a 60K dollar continual headache........ Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember to hydrate
Old 11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

370ss500efi, my friend, ill captain the formula while you zip around on the cafe. Anytime, free of charge, because I'm generous.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend a cafe with a notched transom and bravos. We just got done doing a conversion of a notched TRS boat to bravos and raised the X 1 inch this cafe has never handled or rode so good. They are a very rare find though. This cafe ran 75 @ 5600 in smooth as glass water and didn't porpose a bit before it would have been all over the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.