Notices

New guy

Old 11-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Your scarab looks great. Is that a wrap?
Thank you. The yellow on top is paint but the rest is a wrap.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Awdgsx
Thanks everybody! Gonna get some small things done to the scarab his winter. Possibly freshen up the 330's. Gonna get some things updated on the boat and enjoy it on both lakes next summer. Then a repower is in order.

Still trying to learn about the boat. Everybody talks about 377's and 38's but it looks like they called them 380's in 84 for some reason. My hin has 380 at the end like the 377's. It's has trs drives with velvet Trans. Still trying to find out if it's Kevlar or not. The hull looks to have a pink gold tint to it. I was told it might be Kevlar because the glass boats had a green tint.

No idea what is true lol
I was gonna ask you about that, i had never heard the term 380 used in the line but ya never know back then. I did a 38 Scarab history thread to gather info on mine, actually i did a couple info sourcing threads in the Scarab section of the forum

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...b-history.html

I see you have a 27 magnum. My buddy has one that he is trying to get info on. Apparently it was ordered for the coast guard. It's hull number 001 and has two big blocks in it. He thinks it's pretty rare. I'm judging by the hull number it is? I think it was on some magazine cover back in the day..
Looks like this..
Nice!! Yeah i have a 27 that i have been gathering parts for for years now. I have Arneson ASD 6's and am doing LS small blocks. Want to build a sit down mini Cig Gladiator type boat. I figure when i move into a big cruiser some day i will need some little hot rod to keep me happy and what better then the legendary 27 Sport Mag. If you want Mag info seek out Mr.Vinyl (Bud) and H20boater (Mark) and they should have all the info you need.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Registered

Yeah from what I can tell 380 is what they called the 377's in 84 and 85. I think they only had side by side power.
I found this online. Exactly what mine looked like new except for the tower.

I have seen the last 3 digits of the hin on 377's and they all say 377. Mine says 380. Also trying to figure out if my stock 330's are oval port heads without pulling them apart. From what I gather 84 had oval and 85 they changed to peanut ports.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome to the jungle. Nice boats.

As for your cylinder heads, I am pretty sure you'd have the peanut ports if stock Merc 330's. I have never seen a 330 Merc with the larger ovals. The peanut port head came out in the Mid 70's for truck engines. Mercruiser was using them from day 1 on the 330HP 454, at least as far as I know.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah from what I can tell 380 is what they called the 377's in 84 and 85. I think they only had side by side power.
I found this online. Exactly what mine looked like new except for the tower.

I have seen the last 3 digits of the hin on 377's and they all say 377. Mine says 380. Also trying to figure out if my stock 330's are oval port heads without pulling them apart. From what I gather 84 had oval and 85 they changed to peanut ports.

cool, never saw that one. They all had the same hull either way. Right up till they went to the step bottom, best hull for the chop/slop we have here in the great lakes

I restored an 85 flat deck for a customer several years ago that had 575's (the tall deck 540 variant) and number fives and was impressed with the ride when i took it out for testing. Just ate up the washing machine chop like nothing. Where do you normally boat out of?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Ahh ok. I picked up a pair of complete mag mpi setups. I was thinking of freshening up the 330's with some upgrades and the Efi but sounds like I might as well build two more engines from scratch. Not a lot worth saving on the 330's.

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Welcome to the jungle. Nice boats.

As for your cylinder heads, I am pretty sure you'd have the peanut ports if stock Merc 330's. I have never seen a 330 Merc with the larger ovals. The peanut port head came out in the Mid 70's for truck engines. Mercruiser was using them from day 1 on the 330HP 454, at least as far as I know.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
cool, never saw that one. They all had the same hull either way. Right up till they went to the step bottom, best hull for the chop/slop we have here in the great lakes

I restored an 85 flat deck for a customer several years ago that had 575's (the tall deck 540 variant) and number fives and was impressed with the ride when i took it out for testing. Just ate up the washing machine chop like nothing. Where do you normally boat out of?
Nice, I hear it's a great hull for our lakes too. I'm thinking I will build some mpi 496's with pro chargers for this. I was always limited to the smaller inland lakes with my jet boat. Duck lake, hardy, marble, torch. Now I have a big boat I'll be out of grand haven a lot.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh ok. I picked up a pair of complete mag mpi setups. I was thinking of freshening up the 330's with some upgrades and the Efi but sounds like I might as well build two more engines from scratch. Not a lot worth saving on the 330's.
Good Luck w U'r upgrades!!! Hope U can make Boyne Thunder in 15!!!! If there is anything I can try & answer or help U w get in touch!!! Tracy
Old 11-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Good Luck w U'r upgrades!!! Hope U can make Boyne Thunder in 15!!!! If there is anything I can try & answer or help U w get in touch!!! Tracy
Thanks! I'll be there for sure.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I'll be there for sure.
Awesome!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.