Notices

Why so few young people?

Old 12-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
As a younger worker looking to be a mechanic I would think learning the "hybrid car" trade would be way way more viable than fixing boats as far as future career viability....

NOPE absolutely not! Take this for whatever you will but a political dilution concept, such as alternate fuels/energy/ etc is not going to become a sizeable market to base a career on. Auto in general yes; specialized hybrids belong to engineers not mechanics/techs.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
just wanted to say about the marine business overall. One is the engines are becoming so technology advance that your do it yourselfer is going to be lost nor has the proper tools to fix them. It is expensive buy in these days to buy marine related tools for every engine app or even the popular ones. The end user is going to NEED the advance marine tech to fix and work on his app. If the end user can not get his app properly fixed and or in a timely manner his perception is the product he bought is junk and pretty much non usable plus will never buy that product (boat / engine again). The Marine OEM's are starting to look deeply into how do we fix this and how do we prevent this.

Next is the marine OEM's engine manu's and the OEM dealers are having problems with the current pool of techs to replace the aging techs of today. the aging techs are stepping down plus its getting harder to have access to work on these darn boats because of the way they are laid out. Aging techs can not bend like they use to. Another reason to retire.

The younger generation is not interested in learning this field nor becoming an advance tech. They, OEM's in the past have not look at this deeply until now. There is going to be a real shortage of very good marine techs coming up here soon. You can not take the aging tech that is retiring and replace him with another aging tech. Will not work so the OEM's are struggling with how to find and or get trained the younger generation to professionally work on boats correctly and keep focused in that field for years down the road. It is going to be a huge problem. They younger crowd is not interested plus somewhat lack the mechanical skills of the past generations.

More info on this down the road soon.
I'm in the forklift biz, everything you say is strikingly similar....I'm looking for tech's right now, getting no interest from the community colleges, or trade schools.

Our business isn't seasonal, no flat rate, excellent product with a ever expanding market, so it isn't like there's a risk of stability.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
I'm in the forklift biz, everything you say is strikingly similar....I'm looking for tech's right now, getting no interest from the community colleges, or trade schools.

Our business isn't seasonal, no flat rate, excellent product with a ever expanding market, so it isn't like there's a risk of stability.
***Disclaimer. No offense if you are young and lazy.

Of the young guys I have had work for me in the last 3-5 years all except one could check the oil in my trucks. I had to have a fuking training class for my techs to show a group of 20 somethings how to check the oil. Since then, I sub contract more business but keep in touch with a few of them if they occasionally text me for a reference or something. The one thing I noticed is that they all want to be the next billionaire but creating an app, the next Google online type biz or opening a marijuana store. While I can appreciate their enthusiasm, none of them could program and pot isnt legal in Florida....

Soooo, I guess what I am saying is my personal view is they have unrealistic expectations without ever actually working for it.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

And what kind of money would a tech make a year working for you?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by needavdub
I'm 29 soon to be 30, I have always loved boating and I've had several different old cheap boats since I was 19 (mostly crap that was more fixing than driving). I bought my first "nice" boat ('98 Baja Outlaw 24) this year, I did it after buying a house and advancing my career to a point that I felt comfortable buying it. I really think it all comes down to finances holding younger people back, I know I would love to have purchased a bigger boat with twins but I had to buy something smaller that I could tow/store myself to stay in budget.
You, my friend, have it all figured out. Sounds familiar to me. My first "real" boat was a 24x7 Condor. I wish I still had it! How do we teach this stuff? That Baja has always been a favorite of some of the guys around here. Best of luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
no one wants to be a tech because after 2 years plus 30000 worth of schooling and 10 thousand in tools marinas around her only want to pay 18 bucks an hour when they are charging the customer 110 to 130.
This right here! I am 27 and went through a cheaper tech boat school (thank god) but was originally going to MMI/UTI for a cool $25k for 9 months of school. Then add in living expenses tools etc you are really looking at $50k + just to start. In my area they start you $8-$12 its flat out not worth it. Like you said the Marina is charging $110 I get they have overhead and all that but I'm not going to work at a Marina for 5-10 years just to break $20 but the market is also very saturated in LOTO.

It is all about $$ I am the only one of my friends who owns a boat but I also have things on my side. Went to tech school for boats so I know my way around them pretty well can do all the oil changes drive lube etc. My parents own a house at the Ozarks with two slips. They were generous enough to let me have a slip but everything else is on me. In the summer the boat costs at minimum $600 a month and that's just for the boat payment and some gas money. I do realize that is chump change and lots of you spend that before your lunch stop lol but for me that's a lot of money. I have a lot to offer around me on the water so I never really eat up too much gas money. Now you factor in gas to get to the lake, food, booze etc its expensive. It is a passion of mine so I make other sacrifices in my life to make this work. Hard to justify to others when you have over 6 months of lay up time. If I did not have the help of my parents house and dock I would probably not have what I do today. Enough rambling that's my .02.

Last edited by Dan27; 12-10-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
And what kind of money would a tech make a year working for you?
$20-$30/hr
Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I retire from Automotive OEM Engineering, I may have to go into Hi-Lo work in Iowa That is great money Hope you find a good trainable person ............................................
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

It's pitiful what the garages and marinas want to pay techs these days compared to what they charge and what they make on markup on parts.

Working on any mechanicals these days is twice as hard as far as multiple dianostics and than access on most autos ans marine apps is a total nightmare.

It will be the next job the Mexicans will be taking since any body with half a brain is avoiding this field of work .

Plus the Mexicans are small and have little hands , they were born mechanics.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Registered

$20-$30/hr
Depending on what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.