Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

This thread makes my head hurt...
Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 897 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
That's why you have to look up the same model same year in multiple guides. You are always looking up the same 2002 575 XR equipped top gun. This will give you the rate it depreciates at.
The only glitch in that theory is new boat pricing falsely inflating used values.......

2000-01 TS TG was about 240K MSRP new
2005-06 TS TG was about 400K MSRP new

So in 5 years the new price jumped about 160K, making the used boat look like a deal at 200K (yet it was only 240K new 5 years earlier?). This was a key factor at places like National being able to "flip" owners in/out of boats. Not picking on Cigs, Sunsation had the same inflation. 2004 a brand new 32/twin 6.2 boat was 99K, by 2007-08 that boat in the new twin step hull was 150K+ (granted new hul stylel but same production costs). Look in the classifieds today and a 10+ year old 32 is asking 58K?

Also consider 2008/09 the used boat market was in dire straits, so the values would have dropped and depreciation would have been flat or maybe slight appreciation in 2010-2012.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 897 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
This thread makes my head hurt...
Let's add Apaches into the mix then.......same year, same size and one boat is 3X the price of the other!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerplayDave
I'm shopping for my last boat and this is far from scientific. But i will not pay more then 75k for any twin engine v bottom. I have bought and sold probably 15 boats. I have lost money on all of them. The big losses came from boats costing more then 75k. So i refuse to spend more if i cannot get the boat i want i will just stick to what i have. When i price a boat i take the engine package cost and divide in half then add 20k for the hull and 4k for the trailer. This is just how i do it and i'm a cash buyer.
I think this pretty much hits it on the head for any boat older than 10 years except for some of the highly sought after brands and cats.

Used boats are a dime a dozen these days and they aren't getting any newer or better with time.Throw in an oddball model and you may own it for life unless you give it away.
Look at all the decent boats being parted out and half the hulls heading for the dump, what does that say for older boat values?

If I was in the position as a cash buyer in this market I would be insulting for what I would be offering on some of these older big boats , Not the wet junk but solid good boats I would still apply this formula at best on some of the brands . Some others are worth just the power and even though the hull may be solid it has no value at this point.

It will be interesting if fuel goes back down to 2 dollars if the big powerboat market comes back but I highly doubt it as I think most people who were in it learned their lesson and the newbies will have doubt whether fuel will remain reasonable.

Last edited by tommymonza; 12-03-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

There are way too many variables and far too low production numbers to put a straight line depreciation curve together.

Three identical boats sold 5 years ago at the same time for the same price = $X each.
Now put the boats next to each other.
One has 100 Hours, one owner, and was stored indoors all its life and is perfect.
The second has 500 hours, two owners, left in salt water too much and stored winters outside.
The third upgraded the power and drives, has 300 hours on the whole boat but only 20 on the drive lines and refreshed to new.

Would the third one be worth more or less because it has been modified?

Last edited by Tom A.; 12-03-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
There are way too many variables and far too low production numbers to put a straight line depreciation curve together.

Three identical boats sold 5 years ago at the same time for the same price = $X each.
Now put the boats next to each other.
One has 100 Hours, one owner, and was stored indoors all its life and is perfect.
The second has 500 hours, two owners, left in salt water too much and stored winters outside.
The third upgraded the power and drives, has 300 hours on the whole boat but only 20 on the drive lines and refreshed to new.
Would they all have depreciated the same? Would the third one be worth more or less because it has been modified?
THanks for the input, but I swear you guys don't know how to read. I said "ALL things equal". Meaning, this is NOT to compare different boats with different history and eq. Boat Co. A, with boat year 2002. vs same co. same boat in 2000? YOu guys making this waaaay too difficult. THis is NOT to price used boats, nothing to do with the Avanti, this is a mathematical, financials issue. But it's ok. I got it. lol.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

We are giving you our thoughts on the matter. Isn't that what you asked for, instead of trying to get someone to do the leg work for you to figure out this fictitious % you are looking for sit down and figure it out yo self.