Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Excessive Water Patrol Safety Checks >

Excessive Water Patrol Safety Checks

Notices

Excessive Water Patrol Safety Checks

Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I say get a couple of kids, the only time I`ve been stopped is when I did not have my kids on board
Maybe they think 'oh hes got a couple of kids he must be responsible?'
Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to see a pontoon or ski boat get stopped.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys need to come to Maine

Maine - It's called vacationland for a reason

I have been boating in the Sebago region for about 6 years now. Everything from kayaks to ski boats to the Sonic.
I've gotten stopped two times. The first was in a ski boat waiting for a lock to open, and all they wanted to see was that I had all my gear. The second was when I forgot to register the boat, and they let me go back to the house and find it because I was sure I registered it (yea right).
If they wanted, they could wait at the locks and bag people all day long. There is a huge pontoon rental crowd with people who do not know how to drive. They pretty much leave them alone.

You also do not need a license, although sometimes I think they should change this law (see rental comment above). You do need both a valid registration and a milfoil sticker, and I have seen people get nailed for these on multiple occasions. And they are also huge sticklers for life jackets. Every time I kayak and see an officer they ask me if I have a jacket and they want to see it. They never stop, they just ask, I show it and they wave good by. I'm so used to it now I just show it. I have also seen them pull over paddleboarders if they don't have one strapped on the front.

Tourism is huge in Maine and they know it, which I think has a lot to do with it. The people in Maine are also very laid back and friendly. If summer only lasted more than 2 months, it would be the perfect boating destination.

Disclaimer: No I am not a member of law enforcement or the Maine tourism board.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Registered

Our local inland DNR guys are great. If your registration sticker is current and you aren't driving like an a$$, they won't mess with you. Their objective is jetskis and belligerent drunks, which I'm fine with.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Years ago I got stopped by the local Kojac because there were no numbers on the boat--- I told him the boat was documented and he just looked at me with a stupid expression on his face and said B.S until I pulled the papers out and showed him ;what an ass he was.........Monday morning I was in Cleveland on business and stopped at the Ninth District Coast Guard documentation office and told them what happened. The Documentation Officer got on the phone to the chief of police in that town and read him the riot act............NEVER got bothered again .I am sure things have changed now ,,,,,Best thing to do is not drink and don't give them an excuse to line the town coffers....

Jim :
Old 12-02-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I say get a couple of kids, the only time I`ve been stopped is when I did not have my kids on board
Maybe they think 'oh hes got a couple of kids he must be responsible?'
Maybe this is why I don't get stopped, that and is an open bow that might do 60....
Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 314joey
There's over 1000s posts and tons of news articles about it, it's sad, read all about it.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/gover...le3373299.html

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...e-in-transport
Sad :-(
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Here in mi you can have a safety check done by a independent agency. It's free and they will even come to your house for the check. If you pass, you get a couple stickers to display on each side of your boat. This really helps with getting random checks and they need probable cause to pull you over. Not saying you won't ever get pulled over again, but every little thing helps.
Jason, what's the name of this agency? I need to get this done.

I got boarded SEVEN times last summer for 'random' safety checks. Most of the police/coast guards were nice, but some of them gave us a hard time. Like Mild Thunder, I spend a fair amount of cash every time I'm out and bring other guys that spend cash, too. This kind of excessive harassment is driving business and boaters out of West Michigan. If we're acting like idiots, no problem. But if I'm out with a couple of buddies and happen to have a beer in my hand, please don't pull me over every time...

Sorry, rant over....
Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I believe that it is an "us vs. them" syndrome. Jealousy certainly plays a role in it.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the same guy that pulls you over every time, or every other.You need to file a harassment charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.