Low water pickup mounting height

Notices

Low water pickup mounting height

Old 12-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Low water pickup mounting height

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH WHAT THE MINIMUM DEPTH YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH ON LOW WATER PICKUPS.

I have Latham Marine low water pickups mounted on the transom near the bottom of the V on a 30ft Sutphen with twin 502s. With the front edge flush with the bottom, the back is right at 1/2" deep and they are 2 1/4" wide. That's a lot of drag and probably a lot of pressure at 75mph. Previous owners have installed a 25psi water dump regulator and they start dumping right after planned off around 25mph.

Just to reduce drag I am going to grind the back edge off a little at a time until the 25psi regulators don't dump anymore. I have water pressure gauges connected after the water pump. Anyone played with this - that could add a mph or two. I have heard that some boats have them less than 1/8" deep and round the front edges to draw up the water better.

Also, what is adequate water pressure??? I would guess 10-15psi. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i install them even with the bottom and away from the props so the picks dont air out the water so the props slip..18 psi is a good number..
Old 12-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can put a small grove in the bottom of the boat in front of the pickup about 1/2 inch deep or so, and then start to grind and test. It will probably wind up close to leave with original bottom. An easy way to do this is put a temporary pressure gauge on the sea strainer can, and start from now when motors run cool, then make changes. 20psi is fine just remember volume cools engines not pressure, you need pressure to get the air out of the block. This is all assuming you are getting clean water.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your PU's are in clean water, it is doubtful you are going to want 1/2" below the bottom....that may end up being a lot of grinding. Every 1/8" in WPU length will likely show on the GPS. We switched from transom mounted PU's (1/8" below the bottom) to thru the bottom PU's. Best I remember, this was worth about + 2 MPH at 90+ MPH. Originally we used a trough in front of the thru-bottom PU's but ended up filling in the trough with the PU's totally flush with the bottom. Still get 10 lbs of WP mostly from vacuum. As long as you have positive WP, IMO the amount of pressure is not important. The goal is water flow not pressure.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I was thinking of switching to these:

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12543...ess-steel.aspx

Kinda tired of grinding away my current pickups to change the pressure.

Anyone have experience with them?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

they work great,,once you have it dialed in,,weld it,or "it" will fall off at some time.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 43sv
If you can put a small grove in the bottom of the boat in front of the pickup about 1/2 inch deep or so, and then start to grind and test. It will probably wind up close to leave with original bottom. An easy way to do this is put a temporary pressure gauge on the sea strainer can, and start from now when motors run cool, then make changes. 20psi is fine just remember volume cools engines not pressure, you need pressure to get the air out of the block. This is all assuming you are getting clean water.

You have experience?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I know a guy that tore one off...
Old 12-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

You still have to cut to fit. Had mine on and off the trail or 5 times to get it right.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
You have experience?
I'll bite, what part of his post is bs? That is the way Reggie did mine, and if you ever get to Key West, take a walk around the pits most all of the raceboats are done that way! Why all the hostility?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.