Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Qatar Cup Update: U.S. Fleet Assembled And Ready For Shipping >

Qatar Cup Update: U.S. Fleet Assembled And Ready For Shipping

Notices

Qatar Cup Update: U.S. Fleet Assembled And Ready For Shipping

Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

They said they are using blow boat ratings. Thats basically a 2 step rating.handicapping system.

You start by giving your theoretical fastest boat a rating of zero (when progress happens and you get a faster boat than zero, you can compensate by giving it a negative number. Then each boat in competition is given a rating number against the zero boat. this is done by guestimating a time/distance ratio.

The easiest way to explain it is to say if boat zero does 120 mph, that equates to 2 miles per minute.Now pick a distance, say 10 miles. Boat zero can go 20 miles in 10 minutes. The next boat in competition theoretically takes 11 to go 20 miles at its fastest. It is one minute slower (60 seconds) over a 20 mile course. So the slower boat rates '60',

Now these two boats race 20 miles. Boat zero crosses the finish line first. boat 60 crosses the finish line 45 seconds later. In this case boat 60 wins. While boat zero finished first boat 60 finished LESS than 60 seconds later. Since it finished 45 seconds later instead of 60 (its rating) it wins the race by 15 seconds,

The second part is division (class) you try to group boats together as similarly as possible, then use ratings INSIDE those groups. This gives further parity. say you have 50' vees and 25 foot vees, you make separate groups which helps eliminate conditions from the equation.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximus
Frank you are correct. They have a plan and they will put on a great event they are experienced racers and have put on many events. I have an idea about what the Sheik has planned for his guests from around the world and it will be quite a week for those that choose to go.

"
Does this go for fans that fly half-way around the world just to be there for the cool event?
Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
Its a little confusing but I'm sure once all the boats get there they will figure it out. The XCat class and the US Super Stock class actually don't match up either the engine rules are different. Racing For Cancer and Qatar are the only true Super Boat class..
My understanding—and it's very limited at this point—is that in the X-Cat/Stock class that will be called Super Cat Light for this event, the X-Cat teams will have to conform to the Stock-class specs. At least that/s the plan for now, based on my interview with Steve Curtis for the that lead this thread. A lot of that stuff is still being worked out, but as Xtreme said above I'm also sure they will figure it out long before the races begin.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PHRAGLE That sounds fair .

so I better bring a stop watch and note pad to keep track .

sounds fun . good luck have fun be safe.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 PM
c12
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a little confusing but I'm sure once all the boats get there they will figure it out. The XCat class and the US Super Stock class actually don't match up either the engine rules are different. Racing For Cancer and Qatar are the only true Super Boat class..
its not an SBI event or SBI rules , there is no Super Boat class ...
Old 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c12
What rule book are they using, you have to do inspection under some guide lines.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 PM
c12
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What rule book are they using, you have to do inspection under some guide lines.
I don't know what rule book they are using i'm not racing , if I had to guess I would say APBA based on their class names, APBA did create SuperCat class which is now Super Boat class in SBI
Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Apba/uim
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c12
Ok I'll try this one more time. First off I never mentioned SBI you did so not sure why you d got so defensive this thread is about the Qatar Cup not SBI so no reason for u to side track it.

All I was saying is that the X Cat boats and the US Super Stock boats don't match up X Cat engine rules are different then APBA SBI OPA ( hows that better ) and the Superboat Class rule dont mathch up the Class1 they have their own rule book . I didnt say it was a bad thing just fact, if you read my thread I said when the boats get there they will figure it out. All I did was answer a question from a earier thread. Actually other members came on and tried explaining the different length course to answer the same thread.

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 12-10-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the APBA offshore rule book if anyone cares...

http://www.oparacing.org/uploads/OPA_Rule_Book.pdf