Notices

what a way to wake up

Old 09-01-2002, 08:41 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
Default what a way to wake up

so i'm sleep'n off the usual sunday morning fuzz an my phone rings at 7:00 AM. its my marina guard . . . .says my boat is taking water and sinking . i jump in the truck grab my trailer an fly to the marina , usually about 15 or 20 minuets away. think it took me about 4 minutes this time . man that was a nerv racking drive. all i could picture was 4 lines pulling down into the water where my boat used to be . . anyway i get to the marina and my mom and dad were already there ( they live a block away) and my dad had run the bilge pump and it was clearing the bilge just fine so it must be a small leak somewhere. possibly in the bellows or somthing. turns out that at some point during the night, Val ( the marina guard) noticed that that my exhaust was alittle closer to the water than usual so he made a mental note an looked at it a littel later and found it was definetly going down. thank god for good marina help . . an also a small town where everybody knows everybody . also didnt hurt that my boat is in dock A slip 1 right in fron of the guard house .

one other thing . . .on my way back home with my boat. on the other side of the highway where i had just screamed through at mach 5 on my way to the marina. three state troopers were now sitting on the apron taking radar . they would have nailed me for sure. . . .so i guess luck was with me on many levels this morning. . . .welp . . .i'm off to look at the boat, wanna be back in by noon. . . . think i'll stop by BOAT US an grab one of them new fangeled auto bilge pumps.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wow, I think Val would be on the top of my Christmas list!
Old 09-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to hear about one that DIDN"T sink for a change. That could have been ugly.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ol Val deserves a dinner for two at a fine restaurant for that save! You just don't find employees who give a darn anymore, and when you do, ya gotta treat them right!
Old 09-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have an Angel watching over you. Great to hear of someones positive experience.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:42 AM
packinair

Old 09-01-2002, 11:49 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The boat gods were shining down on you my friend....Val would definitely being on the receiving end of some goodwill ambassadors....BTW I have a certain book I could maybe lend you for info on this subject, but it would have to be strictly confidential for if this info were to fall into the wrong hands the world as we know it today would crumble.....
Old 09-02-2002, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, thank goodness for your lucky stars.

I got the other kind of call. The guy who lived in his houseboat directly across from my old houseboat at the marina called me on a Saturday orning. He said" Hey, did you know your houseboat was sunk? It was looking like it was going down yesterday when I left for work and was under when I got here yesterday afternoon. Since nobody has been here working on it I figured you might not know about it. It was pulling awful hard on the dock so I cut the lines, though."
Old 09-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably one of your glass repairs Kidding bro. That was lucky for you bro. Could have turned out a whole different way.

Jon