Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
*** TRES Martin Turning Technique. *** >

*** TRES Martin Turning Technique. ***

Notices

*** TRES Martin Turning Technique. ***

Old 12-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

That's the point i was raising crown... a bunch of small increments for one big total... not left lock to right lock lol. (is there anyone really that silly?)
Old 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
That's the point i was raising crown... a bunch of small increments for one big total... not left lock to right lock lol. (is there anyone really that silly?)
That is the reason I started the thread!! I always hear about Tres course and how it teaches you invaluable lessons, but the first actual info I found on it says turn wheel 180 then back for your turn. Seems crazy to me, so had to ask who does this. I am chalking it up to the article summarizing his lesson and not getting it 100% correct or am I wrong?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

the class was worth every penny/dollar to me ( I was a newbie powerboater at the time) but don't let your egos tell you "you don't need it you already know how to operate a high performance boat" if you take it and find you already knew it all you'll just validate you're intelligence and superiority!! he's not in the hall of fame for nothing LOL.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great school / class. worth every penny.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 370ss500efi
That is the reason I started the thread!! I always hear about Tres course and how it teaches you invaluable lessons, but the first actual info I found on it says turn wheel 180 then back for your turn. Seems crazy to me, so had to ask who does this. I am chalking it up to the article summarizing his lesson and not getting it 100% correct or am I wrong?
I think what you will find is that anyone who has taken the course will support the money spent. I was a doubter, until I took it, twice now. Also, those who have taken it won't spill the beans. Why? We spent the money and so should you. But more so, you won't get the context of the maneuvers until you take th course.

Not trying to be brash. The Internet had a tendency to do that to typed words. Merely being factual and sharing from my experience.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it is about spilling the beans.....at least for me. It is not easy for most including myself to write and explain what to do and what the boat is doing. Brad drew pictures, illustrated points with slo mo video. So to sit and type how to turn the boat safely at speed is not that easy. At least for me.

I get your point and agree worth every penny, safe boating.

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I think what you will find is that anyone who has taken the course will support the money spent. I was a doubter, until I took it, twice now. Also, those who have taken it won't spill the beans. Why? We spent the money and so should you. But more so, you won't get the context of the maneuvers until you take th course.

Not trying to be brash. The Internet had a tendency to do that to typed words. Merely being factual and sharing from my experience.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the evasive maveuver?? Cliff note version as to not give away the crown jewels

QUOTE=CrownLPX;4235100]Please DO NOT attempt the turn with 180* worth of steering input. No Bueno.

There is a lot to it. Preparing for the turn (trim and tab setup), getting the boat on axis, maintaining axis, steering input etc.

I had an incident this summer where the techniques I learned kept me and my passengers out of what could have been a terrible situation. The "evasive maneuver" Tres teaches you is priceless.

Then you get into high speed resets, planing techniques (one of the best things I learned) and coming of plane (another favorite). From the class, when you're running on the water, you can truly see just in the way another boat is running who "knows" what they're doing and those who actually KNOW how to run a boat. Even my daughter points out boats and says, "Daddy, that boat is going up and down a lot". Now that's comical.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have been helping Tres do instruction for over a year now. The 180 degree stoke in the wheel would only apply to boats with an extended helm ratio. Tres's courses and training processes are highly desired by the US Navy Seals, US Coast Guard and many manufacturers, such as Mercury Marine. None of the boats used in their training employ stepped hulls These groups enroll annually. I highly recommend the course for boaters of all experience levels, there is something to learn for everyone... Well worth the $$!!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by BatGirl
I have been helping Tres do instruction for over a year now. The 180 degree stoke in the wheel would only apply to boats with an extended helm ratio. Tres's courses and training processes are highly desired by the US Navy Seals, US Coast Guard and many manufacturers, such as Mercury Marine. None of the boats used in their training employ stepped hulls These groups enroll annually. I highly recommend the course for boaters of all experience levels, there is something to learn for everyone... Well worth the $$!!
Ya, we could have used you when we did it. That was prob our largest complaint but it worked out (sort of) and you are around to assist for women now.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I had an opportunity to attend the course last summer. Its a great course. Well worth your time and money. Most of the boaters I have met always enjoy learning more about the technical aspects of boating. Learn in a relaxed atmosphere, enjoy fellow boaters and their equipment. The class is not about putting a 10 horsepower motor on a rowboat. Its about using high performance boats within their performance envelope
safely, correctly, and why. As a commercial pilot I was used to going to training every 6 months and plenty of classes on aerodynamics. When the Tres Martin class was discussing hydrodynamics I really enjoyed it. Seriously, take a few days, go to the class and learn about your boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.