Notices

Best Printer for Photos..

Old 01-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Printer for Photos..

I know this is probably not the right forum for this topic. But didn't want to bombard all the forums in the photo/media section. We got a HP Envy 5660 all in one for Christmas and it prints ok pictures. My girlfriend has a lot of old pics she wants to scan and then we have tons of digitals. Some of which we would like to print out. At this point we are looking at the Canon pixma mx 922. Anybody have any experience with this scanner/printer and any suggestions? We are trying to keep the costs down and don't feel the need to spend too much as its not a profession for us.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

When you figure in the cost of good paper and ink, you can get it printed at Walmart or Costco cheaper. Either one makes good reasonably priced prints. A good photo printer will 6 or 8 different inks and they go fast when printing photos. Also if you do not use quality paper matched to your printer you will not get good quality. I would put a few pics on a thumb drive and bring them to Walmart, print a few and see how they look to you.

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 01-07-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Padraig
When you figure in the cost of good paper and ink, you can get it printed at Walmart or Costco cheaper. Either one makes good reasonably priced prints. A good photo printer will 6 or 8 different inks and they go fast when printing photos. Also if you do not use quality paper matched to your printer you will not get good quality. I would put a few pics on a thumb drive and bring them to Walmart, print a few and see how they look to you.

Padraig

What he said. You won't use it enough and the inks dry out and clog the nozzles then you use a bunch of ink running the nozzle clean function. I had one that had 5 color cartridges, $20 each and not much life.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Padraig
+1 You can also scan your own pictures (usually 300dpi works well for average size prints) and upload them directly to Walgreens website and pick them up an hour or so later. If you get on their email list, they will email you discounts all the time... For instance, right now if you use the coupon code "PRINTTHEM9" you will pay only 9 cents each for 4X6 prints on orders of 100+ prints. By the time you factor in the cost of the color printer, photo paper, ink cartridges and your time, you can't do it yourself for that price!

Update on Walgreens Coupon Code ~ New Deal: 40% OFF Photo Orders of $10+ | Enter coupon code TENORDER40 at checkout thru Sat., Jan. 10, 2015*

Last edited by Perfect Storm; 01-08-2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Update on coupon Code
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Registered

What they said 100%..... and just another option I have been using for over a year now is an App on my iPhone......its called Photo Affections. They give you 80 free pics a month. Only thing I pay for is shipping..... Good quality 4 x 6 prints.... when you want different sizes there is a small charge but I usually just order 80/month and just store them so I have hard copies of all my pics...... I'm pretty sure you can do it on their website too for pics on your computer..... Photoaffections.com /Free Prints......
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

The pixma printers are excellent and since you need a scanner anyway...
Their Lucia inks are pretty much an industry standard.

Try to resist the temptation to print everything at first. You will end up with a lot of prints in a drawer.
Take time to learn the software and how to adjust settings to get the most out of the printer.
Scan everything at the highest resolution the scanner will allow and if you are planning to print it, save the file as a tiff if the option exists.
Unlike jpegs, tiffs retain all the color info- you can definitely see a difference in larger prints.
For best results make sure you are using the correct profile for the paper.

If you find you are using a lot of supplies, check ebay for ink and paper- there are deals.
My 2 Canon Prografs hold 12 inks each and retail is $75-90 apiece depending on who I buy from-
it's allowed me to keep prices reasonable.

Good luck and have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Best Printer for Photos..-10368887_10152445622398905_3954920862026608713_o.jpg  

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Nice set up Jay. Where on line do you buy your inks?

Padraig
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered

Also a digital picture frame is a good and eye catching alternative to printing your pictures. I have a couple, the resolution is nice and they have a shuffle option.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the responses. I don't really keep up with this stuff much and was surprised to see what was out there. One thought was to get individual scanner and printer with the high resolution capabilities but we don't want to fill the desk. I will definitely keep the Walmart or Cost Go option in mind. I don't know how many she plans on printing but do know she has a lot of photos to scan.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Nice set up Jay. Where on line do you buy your inks?

Padraig
Mostly ebay, but there are several national suppliers in the area if I need something overnight.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG