Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why is Florida Powerboat Clubs Poker Run Fees so high? >

Why is Florida Powerboat Clubs Poker Run Fees so high?

Notices

Why is Florida Powerboat Clubs Poker Run Fees so high?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Yep. And profit is not a dirty word. It is a premium to live or visit here.
Delano Hotel, South Beach.........$1000 night in February, parking $60 a night extra
Hyatt Cleveland...........................$99 night in February, free parking

Location, location, location.........
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonz
that there is pretty funny..........just curious, what does one that pays cash drive??????
I can vouch that many drive 2013 Porsche cabriolet Ferrari, Lambos etc... Chitttt some have helicopters & planes. YOLO.

Last edited by SkaterMike82; 01-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Yep. And profit is not a dirty word. It is a premium to live or visit here.
Plus 1
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

The only time anyone likes profit is when it's ours......... Are you familiar with the Ferengi of Star Trek fame ?

Last edited by the deep; 01-08-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billy boats
I agree that the price is kind of high, its like saying, "well you have a big dollar boat so i can charge you more". I organised my first poker run this year here on Long Island, I have seen behind the curtain. The people who run these events for the sole purpose of the love of performance boating usually have other jobs so they charge enough to cover the hard costs of the event, give a cash prize, and or donate to charity. The others are in it for a profit. That's fine with me but i don't appreciate the additional fees like insurance and the cost to me a member of Florida powerboat club. I only do one Florida run per year and the fees of the run on top of the travel and boat expense gets to be a bit much. $750 fee, $300 for 2 extra crew, $150 "safety fee", $250 membership. Total $1450 just to enter.
Isn't that like saying your boat cost $2500 per use to insure when in fact it's $2500/ yr but you choose to only use it 1x per yr?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Delano Hotel, South Beach.........$1000 night in February, parking $60 a night extra
Hyatt Cleveland...........................$99 night in February, free parking

Location, location, location.........
Exactly, are we comparing apples to apples taking the overall value into consideration or an economy rental car to a luxury rental car then complaining about the difference in rate?

I flew to Thailand this summer & I assure that it's more than my flights to Ft Myers to check on my boat yet both planes had seats, food, drink & a bathroom so why was my Thailand flight so much more $$$? Now I remember it was the free movies, slippers, sleep mask, pillow & blanket.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Exactly, are we comparing apples to apples taking the overall value into consideration or an economy rental car to a luxury rental car then complaining about the difference in rate?

I flew to Thailand this summer & I assure that it's more than my flights to Ft Myers to check on my boat yet both planes had seats, food, drink & a bathroom so why was my Thailand flight so much more $$$? Now I remember it was the free movies, slippers, sleep mask, pillow & blanket.
But, if youre buddy "Donated" a ride in his gulfstream, wouldn't you take that?

Cheaper and better because he's not trying to make a profit. You get my comparison here?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Registered

Sorry I don't draw the parallel bc I don't own a Gulfstream & we are talking about participating in Poker Runs in our own boats & the costs associated with doing that not the costs of being an additional crew member.

I don't remember Jamie77905 saying he can only afford to make 1 FPC run as a guest crew member on someone else's boat.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

I know I will get some $hit for this but,,
IMHO I really dont think poker runs are what they are cracked up to be,I have done some runs in the past they were ok but it seemed to me they were catered around the few guys with the high dollar toys,if your are not one of the guys with the cool high dollar toys then you will spent the day following the club while they cater to the guys with the cool toys...

people also judge and treat you different depending what boat you own,,(I know I know but its true)
have a friend that owned a 25 center console and a new 39 TopGun,,we did some runs together in the past,if we did the run on his brand new Top Gun people would trip over each other to help us pull in the slip,help us with bumpers,lines and then they would be friendly ,next poker run we would take his 25 center console,well we had to do the bumpers,handle the lines and nobody was running up to say hi,,,

so at the end of the day instead of worrying about the poker run fees and fitting in I would suggest you get together with 2-3 of your boat owning friends and have your own "poker run" and enjoy the day on the water without following the cool kids around....
Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I know I will get some $hit for this but,,
IMHO I really dont think poker runs are what they are cracked up to be,I have done some runs in the past they were ok but it seemed to me they were catered around the few guys with the high dollar toys,if your are not one of the guys with the cool high dollar toys then you will spent the day following the club while they cater to the guys with the cool toys...

people also judge and treat you different depending what boat you own,,(I know I know but its true)
have a friend that owned a 25 center console and a new 39 TopGun,,we did some runs together in the past,if we did the run on his brand new Top Gun people would trip over each other to help us pull in the slip,help us with bumpers,lines and then they would be friendly ,next poker run we would take his 25 center console,well we had to do the bumpers,handle the lines and nobody was running up to say hi,,,

so at the end of the day instead of worrying about the poker run fees and fitting in I would suggest you get together with 2-3 of your boat owning friends and have your own "poker run" and enjoy the day on the water without following the cool kids around....
I thought we were all there to see half (or fully) naked women sunbathing on boats?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.