Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has Anyone Air Bench Tested the CFM Dana EX2000 Flow Torque Exh Manifold re Merc 496? >

Has Anyone Air Bench Tested the CFM Dana EX2000 Flow Torque Exh Manifold re Merc 496?

Notices

Has Anyone Air Bench Tested the CFM Dana EX2000 Flow Torque Exh Manifold re Merc 496?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
and rightly so,,friend had/got bad castings,finally leaked water in and almost took out his motor.he got the run around and ended up having to buy new elbows.we'll never use them again.
What part of the riser failed? Saltwater use? I'm strictly freshwater and plan to drain after use. I also plan to make mine dry to the tips. Looking up old threads by Raylar saying up to 25 hp vs mixing water in the stock riser location. I am still running stock manifolds on mine w/ turbulators removed. I also welded stainless extensions onto the stock risers. The water now mixes 1" before the tips.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak Test Procedure for Dana EX2000 Manifold?

and rightly so,,friend had/got bad castings,finally leaked water in and almost took out his motor.he got the run around and ended up having to buy new elbows.we'll never use them again.
I found significant water damage (rust) on odd cylinder bank last season. I water pressure tested the aluminum manifold cold with 100 psi water pressure and no leak found so assumed it was reversion though still a question in my mind since dramatically less reversion evidence on even bank and why so much now since in use since 2007 and only slight reversion evidence before. One Imco exhaust tip internal rubber flapper was found to be broken off on that odd bank only so maybe a contributing factor.

Do you know exactly what procedure method he actually used to successfully leak test the Dana manifold to confirm the leak? If yes please post.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

we used a couple different air expandable pipe sealers,,he's in the well business.also made a bottom block off plate.then seal it up so you can pump water in and look up from the manifold side.his was leaking like a mofo.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

we used a couple different air expandable pipe sealers,,he's in the well business.also made a bottom block off plate.then seal it up so you can pump water in and look up from the manifold side.his was leaking like a mofo.
OK. Similar to how I tested. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://fullthrottlemarine.com/496%20...%20Article.htm
Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Registered

Interesting read , that's some claim from Dana 48 HP increase from there manifoulds .
Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Has Anyone Air Bench Tested the CFM Dana EX2000 Flow Torque Exh Manifold re Merc 496?

Back to my original question. Has Anyone Air Bench Tested the CFM flow of the Dana EX2000 Flow Torque Exhaust Manifold made for the Merc 496? I am looking for those CFM numbers.