Notices

Bahamas pointers?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Registered

Location: Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bahamas pointers?

My wife and I are headed to the Bahamas for a one week vacation later this month. Been a crazy year this past year, and we're both in need of some quality down-time together.
We're first-time visitors there, and staying at a resort on Paradise Island.

Appreciate any pointers, tips, great places to go, eat, relax, toss a few back.
What's the list of must see and do's?

Thanks in advance.

I2D
Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Was just there for Christmas, I'll PM you my ph# feel free to call me.

Michael
Old 01-12-2015, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by In2Deep
My wife and I are headed to the Bahamas for a one week vacation later this month. Been a crazy year this past year, and we're both in need of some quality down-time together.
We're first-time visitors there, and staying at a resort on Paradise Island.

Appreciate any pointers, tips, great places to go, eat, relax, toss a few back.
What's the list of must see and do's?

Thanks in advance.

I2D
Anything Atlantis is overpriced....... also think of it as Las Vegas (nothing is real but it looks cool). If you are staying at the Comfort Suites then you get all the Atlantis privileges for free plus free internet/breakfast. If you go to the Atlantis pool, get there early to get the best chairs or book a cabana the week before you think you want it. Jet ski rental off the Atlantis beach is somewhat of a "used car negotiation" with the vendors.....pick the newest looking machine for the least he will take and be sure to pay cash. Downtown Nassau's "Straw Market" is a tacky flea market at best.....it was bad in 1999 before the fire and last July it was in a new building but still tacky. DT Nassua is simply a cruise ship drop off destination. I did the dolphin experience that left out of the marina across the street from Atlantis (at the base of the bridge)......15-20 minute ride to an island off the coast of Paradise Island. It was cool but not sure I would do it in winter months......as the water in July was perfect, now it would be 10-12 degrees less than perfect!

They have a high speed tour boat (looks like a big Fountain or a big Magnum) outfitted with lots of seats in rows like a bus. They also had 2 45 Smiths set up the same way also. It was a snorkel/island excursion that was an all day deal so be sure to check the weather conditions for the whole day because you are far from the marina at the end of the trip so it could make for a miserable ride back if seas spool up or it starts to rain.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Registered

Sadly Paradise Island has little to do with the Bahamas anymore, as stated Atlantis is just a Vegas style artificial playground with no connection to the islands or culture. For the real Bahamas go to Abaco or Long Island. If you are stuck with PI then one of the two powerboat trips will at least get you off to see the Exumas for a day. Powerboat Adventures is the better of the two and the original trip. Cafe Matisse is the only dining worth it in downtown Nassau.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to go really fancy for a dinner hit up the Greycliff. It has been a few years since I have been there, but we got a tour of the wine cellar, if you ask you can probably do the same.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

The best part of Atlantis was walking around the marina every evening.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Registered

Another Bahamas location for a great vacation!!
Lubber's Landing in the Abacos . . great boating, quiet, beach bars and good food...

http://www.lubberslanding.com/

Mario L.

Last edited by Mario L.; 01-12-2015 at 12:58 PM.