Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial >

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Notices

Opening Statements Begin In Gratton Lawsuit Trial

Old 01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you find it so distasteful that everyone else was throwing Mike under the bus, why reply in kind by throwing someone else?

Last edited by sbracing; 01-16-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
I find it very distasteful for throwing everyone else under the bus. Mike did his job the best he could in the situation and also has to live with the out come. I didnt throw Steve under the bus for not drowning i through him under the bus for not helping Joey.

No one seems to have a problem second guessing that Mike did.
There is only so much you can do if you are panicking. Watching your friend die and not being able to help get the seat belt off must of been a horrible thing to have to go threw. As someone stated the air was used up. Was it, wasn't it I don't know. Steve is a good man and as I recall helped on his own dime in Biloxi after the hurricane and many other charitable contributions. He has a big heart and shared with everyone. Maybe saving lives and stress is something he's not good at. Im sure Mike is a great guy too
Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Much like TomA, I have a significant background in Fire/EMS/Rescue.To the point I was a Fieild Training Officer, meaning I took the new guts straight out of school and spent a month or 2 with them to help them bridge the gap between the textbook and the street,

These are people that really want to help, they want to rescue people and save lives, they spent a lot of money and spent a lot of time studying and practicing, they took rigorous written and practical exams, Yet you would be surprised how many froze the first time things got ugly. Its not a choice, as all these guys wanted to help, its something inside, the way your wired. Some have it some don't,

On top of that, even as a professional rescuer, you are trained, in fact its beaten into you over and over and over again,, Scene safety, safety of rescuer, safety of patient.....THat your safety comes before the person in peril. (granted an experienced professional rescuer had the training and tools to safely do what most think is downright suicidal) In fact most with experience will tell you that when it gets ugly that its the countless hours and drill that allow one to work on "autopilot"you know what to do, how to do it and if its even doable to begin with without thinking about it.

All that has to overide the fact that nature has hard wired your brain over hundreds of thousands of years of evolution for self preservation, to survive.

So in essence you are throwing someone under the bus for not being able to do what a lot of people have trained and tried to do and werent able.something that goes completely against human nature.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
So in essence you are throwing someone under the bus for not being able to do what a lot of people have trained and tried to do and werent able.something that goes completely against human nature.
One of the first good posts here. Not sure where some of the other posters get off saying absurd things.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
I guess anything could of happen, but I would hope they check their gear between races I know we do especially our air. Pretty hard to blow though a full tank in a few mins.
I would hope and assume that the equipment is checked as they are professional racers. I'm just speculating based upon my knowledge as a diver and also as a police officer who is experienced with the physiological changes (rate of breath) in high stress situations. I don't know how much air the tanks normally have but the time would be based upon normal breaths. When adrenaline gets flowing the heart rate spikes and so does the breath rate. It is something we actively train to be cognizant of so that we can maintain control in high stress situations such as a pursuit. Not to mention, if you ever have a gas mask on and get in a situation like that you find out real quick how to slow your rate of breathing down...
Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I believe page used a full time air system.... as a lot of racers do. It's a full mask system that - theoretically allows the racer to receive air even if knocked out.. The system allows both racers to breath ambient air right side up. In a flip, it automatically switches to the SCUBA air bottle. There is also a small spare air bottle on each racer's leg. When a buckle is undone, the air automatically switches from the SCUBA tank to the individual spare air bottles to allow escape. These little bottles only have about 8 or 10 breathes in them. The buckle is complex. It has the two air feeds, the intercom system and the five point harness. I've never used one but I've seen plenty.

I wasn't there, but I've been in and around that boat several times over the years and knowing Steve, he would invest in the best equipment possible for himself and Joey.

RIP Joey.

PS - OPA red flags a race is a boat is over or racer in the water. We'll restart the race is all safety personnel can get back on station.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Registered

After reading all these posts this week ive come to the same conclusion I came to a few years back when I heard of the accident. It was an accident. Really sucks that it happened, but taking into consideration the nature of the sport it has happened and will happen again. Im sure the racers and there families knew/know of the risks being involved in this and choose to do so. Probably even know someone who passed away racing due to an ACCIDENT. The fact that this lawsauit much like many others even exist is a bunch of bs. Its no ones fault that rescue could not get him out faster then they did, it just took that amount of time. It is time for people to accept responsiblity for there actions and move on, and not look to blame everyone else when something doesnt turn out the way the hoped or thought it would. Not knowing much about racing or the rules, just an everyday guy the belongs to this site. just my opinion
Old 01-17-2015, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a262carl
After reading all these posts this week ive come to the same conclusion I came to a few years back when I heard of the accident. It was an accident. Really sucks that it happened, but taking into consideration the nature of the sport it has happened and will happen again. Im sure the racers and there families knew/know of the risks being involved in this and choose to do so. Probably even know someone who passed away racing due to an ACCIDENT. The fact that this lawsauit much like many others even exist is a bunch of bs. Its no ones fault that rescue could not get him out faster then they did, it just took that amount of time. It is time for people to accept responsiblity for there actions and move on, and not look to blame everyone else when something doesnt turn out the way the hoped or thought it would. Not knowing much about racing or the rules, just an everyday guy the belongs to this site. just my opinion
finally ,someone with reason .

I f in the end new safety measures are demanded ,that's a good thing .

but the money part , that's just what lawyers do .
and destroying the good names of safety personel , I know to be competent, is tragic .
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I have said time and time again, there will be no winner here. As it was stated accidents are called accidents for a reason. My only issue is that some have read the "complaint" which is written by an attorney trying to win a case. They believe that everything included is 100% fact. They are wrong. I can file a "complaint" which states the sky is blue, however, it is up to me to then go into a court of law to prove it. Does the initial "complaint" have some merit? Absolutely... Is it 100% correct? Absolutely Not... You guys(the Jupiter Sunsations on this thread) act like the defendants wanted this tragedy to happen... It could be said that if the boat wasnt so far behind, they wouldnt have pushed it so hard as to put the boat in a bad position to flip/roll. Being in a cockpit i know first hand the adrenaline rush and resulting loss of brain cells(common sense) and have so far been lucky as crap that I didnt get killed or killed my partner at the very same turn this tragedy took place. My ego got the best of me and I thought i could pull it off... I was wrong

There is no benefit to anyone passing in an accident. Yes things can be changed to make racing safer in the future.. The Lavin Foundation was created from an accident which resulted in death. If Mr Lavin hadnt of perished, would such a Foundation even exist? Would the cockpit standards even be in place hadnt that tragedy even happened? I dont know, nobody can know.

All we can do at this point is sit back and wait for the result of this trial. Regardless of the outcome, nothing good will come from it and instead of looking like children on here. I am sure Mr Trullio will write an article once a verdict is in and there is nothing that anyone on here can do and/or say to change the outcome
Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
As I have said time and time again, there will be no winner here. As it was stated accidents are called accidents for a reason. My only issue is that some have read the "complaint" which is written by an attorney trying to win a case. They believe that everything included is 100% fact. They are wrong. I can file a "complaint" which states the sky is blue, however, it is up to me to then go into a court of law to prove it. Does the initial "complaint" have some merit? Absolutely... Is it 100% correct? Absolutely Not... You guys(the Jupiter Sunsations on this thread) act like the defendants wanted this tragedy to happen... It could be said that if the boat wasnt so far behind, they wouldnt have pushed it so hard as to put the boat in a bad position to flip/roll. Being in a cockpit i know first hand the adrenaline rush and resulting loss of brain cells(common sense) and have so far been lucky as crap that I didnt get killed or killed my partner at the very same turn this tragedy took place. My ego got the best of me and I thought i could pull it off... I was wrong

There is no benefit to anyone passing in an accident. Yes things can be changed to make racing safer in the future.. The Lavin Foundation was created from an accident which resulted in death. If Mr Lavin hadnt of perished, would such a Foundation even exist? Would the cockpit standards even be in place hadnt that tragedy even happened? I dont know, nobody can know.

All we can do at this point is sit back and wait for the result of this trial. Regardless of the outcome, nothing good will come from it and instead of looking like children on here. I am sure Mr Trullio will write an article once a verdict is in and there is nothing that anyone on here can do and/or say to change the outcome
Agree.........The complaint is not really relevant at this point,,,,,,,,,.......It is unique that you can log on and observe/listen to the all the sessions, ( both live and recorded). Only then do you have the opportunity to make opinions based on the "evidence" that is being presented to the jury in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.