Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats? >

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Notices

Whatever happened to offshore go-fast boats?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is the numbers but thru OCT 31 2014.

Alum fish 16 thru 99 ft outboard - 36,290 with 99 % outboard engine sales

Pontoon 16, thru 99 ft - new sales 37,520 increase of 4.8 % sametime last year 99 % outboards engines

All inshore / offshore outboard only engines - fiberglass - 11 thru 40 ft - new sales 36,978 increase of 9.2% sametime last year

All fiberglass boats - all Bowriders and Deck boats ONLY (NON wakeboard boats) 14 ft thru 30 ft - using I/O's and INBOARDS new engine sales -11,901 = a decrease of 9.1% sametime last year - has fallen for the last 9 years in a row.

All Cruisers fiberglass from 31 thru 40 ft - I/O and INBOARD new sales 1,220 increase of 9.2% sametime last year

PWC new sales of 44,730 increase of 22% sametime last year by far the leader and increase from one year to the next.

Wakeboard boats 20 thru 24 ft mainly- new sales and really from 10 manufacturers new sales - 6,435 increase of 14.4 % sametime last year. Very small range of sizes and again mainly 10 manu's only.

All alum boats less than 16 ft all propulsions or not was 13,512 increase of 4.9% increase sametime last year.

Sportboats did not even have any numbers to make the list -heck when you do not even make 350 boats per year total from the whole sportboat manufacturers, I guess you do not even count anymore. That's why the push for CC boat trend. just saying it is all about dead. I really hate how the tables have turned currently..

TOTAL sales from the a complete list of new boats sold as of Oct 2014 were an 8.2 % increase from sametime last year.

Last edited by BUP; 01-23-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

We never were in the majority!! Even back in the day, we were a "Novelty"!

The true "speedboat" enthusiast is akin to a Hot Rod car owner! After countless hours of working on them, some of us go out and run our old "Resin Buckets" through 3-4 footers at 80+mph with a grin from ear to ear!! Some of us just like the idea of having a boat, a "Hot Rod Boat" that is capable of it!!

It's awesome how every one at the boat ramp gathers when you open up the engine hatch, the bilge is all shiny clean, the rigging all nice and neat!

"Wow Look at that!!"

The looks on their faces when we fire off the motors, the sound of the open pipes of a BBC idling, the sounds of raw power!!

"How fast does that thing go?"

If they only understood what it's like to have 1,400hp at your fingertips! If they only had a clue how exhilarating it is to tap the throttles when your running along at 60 and you're almost instantly hitting 80+ and then beyond! The "roar" of the dry exhaust singing to you at high rpm!! The thrill of making the boat dance through 3-4footers at 80-90mph!

They think you're nuts, little do they understand!!

Whether you do all, some, or pay someone to do the work on these boats, unless you are a Truly passionate speedboat enthusiast, you don't own one for very long!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

There are still some of us diehards, or dumb focks, that love this chit. We cringe at the thought of a cruiser or family type of boat. I for one just can not stand to drive a curiser type of boat, downright boring, might better just stay on the dock.

Holy chit Honey!!! We just hit 22 fn mph!!!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-23-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I totally agree and I can not stand not have power of a certain range and can not stand to drive the majority of pontoon boats that the current market is selling. I am not talking about the high performance pontoons because thats a very small side of sales for them compared to your Tracker, Benningtons Pontoon boats that are selling in large #'s. I do not see what the hype is over the pontoon boats as that's has to be the most put me to sleep ride and drive. IMO if you are gear head - nothing like a true offshore sport boat with some real power and sound not wearing egg beaters. Just my 2 C's

Last edited by BUP; 01-23-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

My wife wanted a wakeboard boat....that didn't happen! Too slow and we can't camp in it I told her...instant sell! Why would you want anything else I just don't get it....
Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomR
We never were in the majority!! Even back in the day, we were a "Novelty"!

The true "speedboat" enthusiast is akin to a Hot Rod car owner! After countless hours of working on them, some of us go out and run our old "Resin Buckets" through 3-4 footers at 80+mph with a grin from ear to ear!! Some of us just like the idea of having a boat, a "Hot Rod Boat" that is capable of it!!

It's awesome how every one at the boat ramp gathers when you open up the engine hatch, the bilge is all shiny clean, the rigging all nice and neat!

"Wow Look at that!!"

The looks on their faces when we fire off the motors, the sound of the open pipes of a BBC idling, the sounds of raw power!!

"How fast does that thing go?"

If they only understood what it's like to have 1,400hp at your fingertips! If they only had a clue how exhilarating it is to tap the throttles when your running along at 60 and you're almost instantly hitting 80+ and then beyond! The "roar" of the dry exhaust singing to you at high rpm!! The thrill of making the boat dance through 3-4footers at 80-90mph!

They think you're nuts, little do they understand!!

Whether you do all, some, or pay someone to do the work on these boats, unless you are a Truly passionate speedboat enthusiast, you don't own one for very long!

Now that's how you nail it.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The deck boat craze didn't last long and I don't think the CC craze will either. There is a lot to be said in favor of outboards though.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Here is the numbers but thru OCT 31 2014.

Alum fish 16 thru 99 ft outboard - 36,290 with 99 % outboard engine sales

Pontoon 16, thru 99 ft - new sales 37,520 increase of 4.8 % sametime last year 99 % outboards engines

All inshore / offshore outboard only engines - fiberglass - 11 thru 40 ft - new sales 36,978 increase of 9.2% sametime last year

All fiberglass boats - all Bowriders and Deck boats ONLY (NON wakeboard boats) 14 ft thru 30 ft - using I/O's and INBOARDS new engine sales -11,901 = a decrease of 9.1% sametime last year - has fallen for the last 9 years in a row.

All Cruisers fiberglass from 31 thru 40 ft - I/O and INBOARD new sales 1,220 increase of 9.2% sametime last year

PWC new sales of 44,730 increase of 22% sametime last year by far the leader and increase from one year to the next.

Wakeboard boats 20 thru 24 ft mainly- new sales and really from 10 manufacturers new sales - 6,435 increase of 14.4 % sametime last year. Very small range of sizes and again mainly 10 manu's only.

All alum boats less than 16 ft all propulsions or not was 13,512 increase of 4.9% increase sametime last year.

Sportboats did not even have any numbers to make the list -heck when you do not even make 350 boats per year total from the whole sportboat manufacturers, I guess you do not even count anymore. That's why the push for CC boat trend. just saying it is all about dead. I really hate how the tables have turned currently..

TOTAL sales from the a complete list of new boats sold as of Oct 2014 were an 8.2 % increase from sametime last year.

Interesting numbers, you have to wonder where all these "boats" (I use the term loosely) end up, it's over a 100k new watercraft a year, surely they are not being damaged or destroyed at the same rate, and damn sure the aren't building that many new marinas/ramps/storage facilities to handle them all!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know.......that new cig 1040 is pretty bad a$$, but I couldn't afford one for about 20 years. When we move to Florida in 3 years I could definitely see the advantages of having a center console for diving and fishing and taking a bunch of people out for a day, but like others have said, there is no comparison to a couple of blown (or not) big blocks doing close to a 100mph or better!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phaze,

Look me up this summer, we will be at chatfield and peublo alot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.