Notices

How Big???

Old 09-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Big???

Lets say with several boats, for safety reasons, is it out there to attempt crossing to the Bahamas from West Palm in a 26' Formula with a single engine? Has anyone on this board done it? Would really be interested to talk with someone who has made the trip. Would like to try and make trip to see APBA finals! I do lots of intercoastal travel and make 150 mile day trips regulary.
Opinions????
Jay
Old 09-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Registered

Opinions...OK.....your nuts
No but really, I would think if you kept a real close eye on the weather and things looked clear for aways around I would try it. I would not suggest going it alone though. I would get someone with twins to run with you.
I have a 25 AT and under the right conditions I would do it.

Admittedly some do say Im alittle nuckin futz though
Good luck and please let us know when your leaving so we can look out for you.
Old 09-03-2002, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it with another boat and you should be safe. I wouldn't do it alone. I have crossed Lake MI. alone and it was unnerving but had to be done. That far offshore your VHF wont work will it and normal cell phone is out of the question -unless you can borrow or rent a sat phone I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It can most certainly be done in a 26' boat. I've heard of people going in everything from 23' and up.

Granted, the conditions must be perfect for the crossing in that size boat, early morning in the summer is your best bet.

But, personally, I would want twins or be among a group of boats to make the crossing.

An EPIRB is a must(or some kind of sat phone) to notify the CG in an emergency.

Also, and I know this is borderline paranoia, but I wouldn't leave without a weapon, either....You hear of far too many abandoned and gutted vessels drifting back onto our shores after running into the wrong people out there.
Old 09-03-2002, 05:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Last year or the year before someone did the crossing witht he Florida Powerboat Club in a 28' Active Thunder. He was the only single engine boat on the poker run and by far the smallest.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Registered

OK so I m a little f*&^in nuts but ya know what a cool trip. I really am lookn for the right oportunity to run it without being really stupid about it. to limit it to a time frame would be a little out there, such as race weekend, but if I could hook up with the right people I do belive its feasble. As much as I like my boat I really hate being limited to just my imagination. If I only had that spare 350gs I'd go by that 38' Formula
Jay
Old 09-03-2002, 11:28 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Baja Daze,

Performance Boating and Automatic Weapons go hand in hand. Like Gin and Tonic

Nothing like a nice warm UZI!!!!

But seriously i would bring some artillery on that trip too.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:55 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

JRocket,
If I can get the time off from work, maybe you can follow me?
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 09-04-2002 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Weather and water conditions are the keys...

I've heard that a pack of 13' Whalers cross once a year for kicks (I hear there are about 6 or 7 of them that do this).

There are times that the flats are like a big calm pond. Other times it is rougher. Weather is the key.

If you have good bilge pumps, with a biggun on each of two separate battery banks, a roll of plastic tarp big enough to "diaper" the boat if you have a hull leak you cannot find, and a buddy in a larger boat to go with - then have at it.

The laws of fate say that if you leave fully prepared, then nothing bad will happen. If you forget one key item, it will be that one that bites you in the axx.

As far as leaving from West Palm, I personally would hop on down to Ft.Laud first.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:45 AM
Registered

Sharkey,
A man with your back ground Ill have know problem following you
As for all who have mentionioned artilery notice where I am from. Ever know of a southern born Redneck without asmall arsenal of assorted weaponry Have gun will travel!
jrocket

P.S. Sharkey are you serious????Im willin if you are

Last edited by jrocket; 09-04-2002 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: How Big???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.