Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis! >

Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Notices

Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Old 09-03-2002, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 3,024 Likes on 991 Posts

U.T....Like I said...I need to shake the guys hand that created pasties!!!
Old 09-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have a great setup-- twin small blocks in a 26' cat. You have all the hardware and now need it pieced together. I would pull the motors and take them to www.Lingerfelter.com and let him rebuild and tune them. Let him do as he wants with all your parts and then just turn the boost down for about 500HP. You'll have room to grow and the motors and drives will survive.
350CID= 1.1hp/cid=380HP + 5 lbs boost (+30%) = 500HP!
Old 09-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok UT,what was the final descision on the reason for motor melt down?There has to be a root cause,what was it?Too much boost?wrong fuel map?wrong ignition advance map?detonation?what was it.I would really like the info before I hazzard any suggestion as to your future.Theres nothing worse than a PISSED OFF WIFE!!!! when it comes to spending bucks on the boat Please fill in the blanks here:WHAT HAPPENED to the original motors?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Joe,

How about selling the small blocks and putting in a set of 500 EFI's? You can later put blowers on them if you want even more speed and they are already built for the bolt on blowers. They should provide you with great reliability and excellent speed. I would think you should be able to get to the century mark with 500's. Good luck my friend.

Shane
Old 09-04-2002, 09:17 AM
Uncle Toys

Audio – Tried to reply last night but I guess we have gremlins in the computer at home.

The 500hp I thought would be mid range. Cat & Mice was pulling 600hp with his first small blocks and his second are pulling 800hp. I agree with you, Pfaff is the one to talk to. Any Pfaff people on the board?

Pretty sure the problem with the old motors was fuel in the oil. The bottom line (as far as I can figure) is the 6.2’s really shouldn’t have blowers bolted on them. They are Merc black motors and from what I hear, Merc builds them with the intention of being disposable. The blue motors are probably a different story.

Still trying to resolve that issue with Art Whipple. Last time we spoke he got a little miffed with me and told me I would have to sue him. Have been giving him a little time to cool down. For now, I just have two shiny conversation pieces sitting in my garage.

As far as running faster than Tank - I don't want to be in "front" of him - at least not while Kelly's with him

Old 09-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Uncle Toys

Ron P – Geeze bro, easy! You know my wife lurks on the board Actually, I do think I heard her talking about French doors last weekend.

Wette Vette - I have though about staying NA. Just need to find a builder that will explain all the options. My priorities are turnkey, reliable, and hopefully no cam- surge crap. We do like idling around the bridge. Then, as Ron points out, got to do triple digits.

dockrocker – That was pretty funny! But twin big blocks aren’t an option in this boat – they don’t fit. Your spot on about Momma, that is the limiting factor in all this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Registered

Hi Joe,
How are you doing? Sooooo you want to go faster?? We have two programs out there. Utilizing either of these “go fast” programs necessitates (1) Groveling.
(2) Groveling and spending. Large amounts of cash.
(3) Groveling, cash, begging, (the begging is to your engine builder)
As you can see, groveling is a big part of this.

Seriously, I am no expert, but I would think to build dependable Blower motors, all the pieces need to be the best MONEY can buy. Take Otto’s lead, send money, raise drives, go fast.
What will you do with the drive issue?
BTW there is a used 40’ Skater here in NJ with your name on it. 1000’s Dry sump #6’s trailer, total won’t be much more then you will have in the Elimi.
Philip
Old 09-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Uncle Toys

Philip:
Ah yes, the fine art of begging. Also know as butt kissing and or simply – the performance boating industry. . Now as you know, I am relatively new to this sport (butt kissing), but “groveling,” bro I am already world class

40' Skater? Hmm, is that big enough to take to the SCOPE poker runs? Actually, what I mean is, is it big enough for an inexperience guy like me to take in the ocean? You would have to come out for a week or so and train me. If you did, I could turn you on to some killer choc chip cookies I just discover a month ago at Disneyland.

Too Old - "Deep down inside,"? Damn bro, that's heavy sh*t this early in the morning.

Airpacker - see my comments above. That's my best guess to this point. Unfortunately, it's hard to sift through all the info the experts are feeding me. After having my engines for three days in Fresno, all Whipple could come up with was I ran the engine out of oil - which is obviously wrong!

Last edited by Uncle Toys; 09-04-2002 at 11:04 AM.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey, I thought Mr. Whipple was always getting in trouble for squeezing the Charmin.

Seriously UT, with you living in S. Cal, isn't their a reputable engine builder down their in Arizona by the name of Larry Peto or something like that? Not sure of the name of his shop, but I've seen his name in Hot Boat magazine a few times. At least by the way Hot Boat magazine writes about him and his shop that he's supposed to be very good with blower and/or NA engines.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

UT stop screwing around. Get two turnbines. Small, reliable and efficient. Oh and you might be able to break the bi centinial mark on occasion.

And the flames are so cool.
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!-jetsetsmallwflames.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help me decide, I have analysis paralysis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.