Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   42 Fountain 500efi speeds (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/322624-42-fountain-500efi-speeds.html)

Velocity Tom 01-31-2015 08:05 AM

42 Fountain 500efi speeds

My bud is looking a 2000 42 fountain 500 efi staggered boat to take north to Ontario. He was told by the owner it runs high 70,s. With good props and a set of 1 in shortys he thinks he can get it in to the 80,s. That's a lot of boat to get in to the 80 s with 500 efi,s I think.

Crude Intentions 01-31-2015 08:12 AM

I believe 78-80 is the number roughly. 525s closer to 85. Very efficient hull.

JUPITER PULSARE 01-31-2015 08:40 AM

You really need to take into consideration the real waterline length of a 42' fountain. Subract about 3' of swim platform and 1' of beak and you wind up with a 38' boat.

Velocity Tom 01-31-2015 09:01 AM

Nice boat. Should ride good but just slow.

HyFive578 01-31-2015 09:02 AM

:food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007::food-smiley-007:

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE (Post 4258555)
You really need to take into consideration the real waterline length of a 42' fountain. Subract about 3' of swim platform and 1' of beak and you wind up with a 38' boat.

Uh oh...

Greatguy66 01-31-2015 09:11 AM

Speed he quoted you is a fair # it is a staggered set up so 80 possible?But 75mph moe like it a guess:rolleyes:

Ran-Dom 32 01-31-2015 09:26 AM

74-76 is a realistic real # to expect, do a search in the fountain forum, there are plenty of examples ... He won't be disappointed in the ride I gaurentee it, & if he decided to up the hp down the road, this hull responds nicely :boat:

Velocity Tom 01-31-2015 09:26 AM

But who runs hard in poker runs anymore anyway! The last few I did everyone cruse at 55-65 mph

47 lightning 01-31-2015 09:27 AM

I did not know that fountain was the only boat that had an integraded swim plat form and I have 3 of them.

Crude Intentions 01-31-2015 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 47 lightning (Post 4258570)
I did not know that fountain was the only boat that had an integraded swim plat form and I have 3 of them.

I think there are several on here who can only spew the same rhetoric every time anything is posted about fountain. They must have a program that emails them when a fountain post is created so they can bring up the swim platform. Lol

Ran-Dom 32 01-31-2015 09:41 AM

Yep :signs043:

boatnt 01-31-2015 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin (Post 4258573)
I think there are several on here who can only spew the same rhetoric every time anything is posted about fountain. They must have a program that emails them when a fountain post is created so they can bring up the swim platform. Lol

haters will hate...lol

Bawana 01-31-2015 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin (Post 4258573)

Its just another ignorant guy that owns a fishing boat, also a keyboard cowboy trying to get post count up.

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 4258576)
haters will hate...lol

I don't think anyone is hating. Physics is physics...the true running surface of a 42 fountain is not that of a true 42' boat. Less running surface means less drag. Add in the fact that 3-4' of the boat has no real weight (ie. beak and bustle)...and it's not hard to believe the speed numbers. it's not a dig at fountain, the hulls are efficient and the aforementioned reasons are part of the equation.

hogie roll 01-31-2015 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bawana (Post 4258607)
Its just another ignorant guy that owns a fishing boat, also a keyboard cowboy trying to get post count up.

I think velocity tom trolled us :D

He practically begged for the obligatory fountain post :D

Bawana 01-31-2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4258609)
I don't think anyone is hating. Physics is physics...the true running surface of a 42 fountain is not that of a true 42' boat. Less running surface means less drag. Add in the fact that 3-4' of the boat has no real weight (ie. beak and bustle)...and it's not hard to believe the speed numbers. it's not a dig at fountain, the hulls are efficient and the aforementioned reasons are part of the equation.

Thats about the dumbest statement I have herd. Maybe you Cig guys run your boats with tabs down dragging all of your haul in the water. And what do you consider "a true 42' boat"??? I know that when I am running fast. not much of my boat is in the water. But I guess you wouldn't know about that... you have a top gun

dlange 01-31-2015 12:35 PM

I don't care if the actual length of a 42 fountain is 11 running feet. It works! I ran
side by side from the shootout last year next to a 38 cig tg strait bottom with #6 drives.
my 42 ran equal, if not better that the gun. And let's not forget that boat can "crush 10 footers".
Hate on the beak all you want, the 42 flat works.

Too Stroked 01-31-2015 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4258609)

It's important to remember that Reggie Fountain didn't decide to include the swim platform in his length calculations. Every singe boat manufacturer was required to include the platform in the length per USCG regulations. So a Cig or anything else with a molded in platform includes the platform in the advertised length.

So a "true 42' boat" is what? Answer: It depends on if the swim platform is part of the mold.

I'm so sick of hearing this crap. Nuf said.

Stormrider 01-31-2015 12:41 PM

What does that have to do w/ anything? It's called a 42 Fountain!!!

Velocity Tom 01-31-2015 01:52 PM

I did what !!! Wtf all i did was ask a question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

barron 01-31-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bawana (Post 4258621)
Thats about the dumbest statement I have herd. Maybe you Cig guys run your boats with tabs down dragging all of your haul in the water. And what do you consider "a true 42' boat"??? I know that when I am running fast. not much of my boat is in the water. But I guess you wouldn't know about that... you have a top gun

They have to drag tabs or they will porpoise :whistle:

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bawana (Post 4258621)

Yes physics is very dumb concept isn't it. Maybe it's best to compare a 42x to a 42 fountain. When sitting side by side in the water I am willing to bet the waterline on the cigarette is much larger than the fountain. Both because of weight, and actual true running surface (I.e. Not inclusive of a beak and bustle). Now if we assume 1/4 of the boats waterline is actually in the water at wide open that still means the cigarette has more boat in the water. Whether is 1' or 2.5' there is still more boat in the water thus more drag. Is it a huge reason why fountain boats are faster hulls?...no not the whole reason but part of it.

Remind me why this is a dumb concept?

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 4258624)
It's important to remember that Reggie Fountain didn't decide to include the swim platform in his length calculations. Every singe boat manufacturer was required to include the platform in the length per USCG regulations. So a Cig or anything else with a molded in platform includes the platform in the advertised length.

So a "true 42' boat" is what? Answer: It depends on if the swim platform is part of the mold.

I'm so sick of hearing this crap. Nuf said.

yes a top gun from tip to end of hull, not inclusive of swim platform is 37' 6" I beleive. The swim platform would add another 1.5' or so.

In the case of my old 292 fastech, formula certainly uses the bustle as part of there measurement. I put a tape measure on it when ordering a trailer. From tip to end of hull it was about 27'. To the end of the swim platform aka bustle was 29'. I don't know if I beleive your Reggie story. The 38's and 42's look significantly shorter than true to length boats.

Bawana 01-31-2015 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4258654)
Yes physics is very dumb concept isn't it. Maybe it's best to compare a 42x to a 42 fountain. When sitting side by side in the water I am willing to bet the waterline on the cigarette is much larger than the fountain. Both because of weight, and actual true running surface (I.e. Not inclusive of a beak and bustle). Now if we assume 1/4 of the boats waterline is actually in the water at wide open that still means the cigarette has more boat in the water. Whether is 1' or 2.5' there is still more boat in the water thus more drag. Is it a huge reason why fountain boats are faster hulls?...no not the whole reason but part of it.

Remind me why this is a dumb concept?

Your comments get more ignorant as you go...And physics has noting to do with your comments or your "now if we assume" theory. It only matters how a boat runs on plan, and how much drag it has. NOT how it sits not running... Maybe if you had more power in your Cig you would understand about less boat in the water.

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bawana (Post 4258665)
Your comments get more ignorant as you go...And physics has noting to do with your comments or your "now if we assume" theory. It only matters how a boat runs on plan, and how much drag it has. NOT how it sits not running... Maybe if you had more power in your Cig you would understand about less boat in the water.

I'm an aerospace engineer so no I have no idea what I'm talking about. So yes I'm ignorant, carry on.

And if you are disagreeing a 42x doesn't have more boat in the water than a 42 fountain at wide open...then you need your head examined.

Bawana 01-31-2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4258666)
I'm an aerospace engineer so no I have no idea what I'm talking about. So yes I'm ignorant, carry on.

And if you are disagreeing a 42x doesn't have more boat in the water than a 42 fountain at wide open...then you need your head examined.

No wonder why our space program it in the crapper.. & admitting to your ignorance is the only fact you have correct. And IF the "make believe 42X "your talking about is going slower then said 42 Fountain... then yes, it will have more boat in the water. What part of going faster makes more boat come out of the water don't you understand?

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bawana (Post 4258677)
No wonder why our space program it in the crapper.. & admitting to your ignorance is the only fact you have correct. And IF the "make believe 42X "your talking about is going slower then said 42 Fountain... then yes, it will have more boat in the water. What part of going faster makes more boat come out of the water don't you understand?

Sadly I understand more than you...you should probably re-read my above posts discussing weight and running surface. Putting equal power and drives on both boats 42x and 42 fountain will result in the fountain going faster. Why?

Because the running surface is shorter on a 42 fountain and because it weighs less. Which has been my point the whole time. But all the fountain owners get there panties in a bunch and instead of reading the comments for what they are...start making assumptions in there own head.

Too Stroked 01-31-2015 03:52 PM

Boys, boys, boys, let's get one thing straight. No 42' boat has 42' of running surface actually in contact with the water. And every manufacturer has something of a tapered bow to both make sure the bow rise up and over waves and lessen the running surface. (Which of course reduces drag and increases speed.) But everybody has to measure their boats according to USCG regulations - as Fountain and everybody else does - or did. If the "Fountain beak" was such an advantage in professional offshore racing, more would have been done around rules that reduced that advantage.

And what of some of the last Fountain race hulls built with cut down hull sides that reduced freeboard and weight. The beak was pretty well gone and the stated lengths were indeed shorter. Oh, and they still won.

BTW, although it doesn't have a "beak" the bow on my Progression looks pretty sleek. That must (illegally) reduce the running surface and explain the speed it runs.

indysupra 01-31-2015 04:10 PM

Yea my scarab is pointy too!! Guess it's a 29.
Compare the 42 stag fountain to even the avs38 and the 42 is a solid performer.
Rant over let the douche carry on.

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by indysupra (Post 4258691)
Yea my scarab is pointy too!! Guess it's a 29.
Compare the 42 stag fountain to even the avs38 and the 42 is a solid performer.
Rant over let the douche carry on.

No one is arguing the 42 isn't a good running boat cupcake. Again another instance where people don't read comments and insinuate things in there own head. Sad that you had to compare the 42 to a 38 scarab tho hahaha.

indysupra 01-31-2015 04:27 PM

I was using your math space genius.

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 04:29 PM

Right...

Stormrider 01-31-2015 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity Tom (Post 4258548)
My bud is looking a 2000 42 fountain 500 efi staggered boat to take north to Ontario. He was told by the owner it runs high 70,s. With good props and a set of 1 in shortys he thinks he can get it in to the 80,s. That's a lot of boat to get in to the 80 s with 500 efi,s I think.

Can you please re-post this in the Fountain Forum.
These members can really derail a thread. :picard1:

Velocity Tom 01-31-2015 05:03 PM

WTF all I did was ask a question you guys need to go out side and shovel some snow. I just ran my 34 Phantom 93.6 mph with no ****n boat in the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I sell tools for a living and have set up more boats than both of yall put together !!

No shut the Fruck up!!!!

indysupra 01-31-2015 05:08 PM

What tools? I owned a snap on franchise 12 years ago.

Velocity Tom 01-31-2015 05:17 PM

I was a snap on dealer for 13 years. Went independent in 2011. WFO since then.

Carbon Footprint 01-31-2015 05:47 PM

OMG, so let's just come to the conclusion that a 42x cig is really a 44.5 boat when you include the swim platform (whether it's molded or not has no bearing on anything) Some manufacturers decided to mold the platform and some decided to add a bolt on platform. Yes they are labeled as the same length, but obviously a 42' boat with a built in platform is shorter than a 42' boat with an add on platform. Is there really anything to argue here?? Fountain is hardly the only boat with a molded in platform. I guess a 44MTI is really only a 40' boat too right?
Your cigarette is way heavier than a fountain, reducing performance but improving it's rough water ride. Hell if you want to get picky, let's compare a 42' fountain to a 38' top gun. The fountain is still lighter and has a more hydrodynamic hull design. Give Reggie credit where credit is due, he built some bad ass boats no matter how long they are or aren't!!
I don't hear any cig fans bashing Hustler's 388 slingshot as only being a 35-36' boat and thus comparisons aren't "fair"
Oh and one more thing, that Scarab 33 AVS with kick any cig's a$$ with the same power regardless of length.

Don't Hate on me.............. I love the cig's too, but let's have a reality check here!

1MOSES1 01-31-2015 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Footprint (Post 4258730)
OMG, so let's just come to the conclusion that a 42x cig is really a 44.5 boat when you include the swim platform (whether it's molded or not has no bearing on anything) Some manufacturers decided to mold the platform and some decided to add a bolt on platform. Yes they are labeled as the same length, but obviously a 42' boat with a built in platform is shorter than a 42' boat with an add on platform. Is there really anything to argue here?? Fountain is hardly the only boat with a molded in platform. I guess a 44MTI is really only a 40' boat too right?
Your cigarette is way heavier than a fountain, reducing performance but improving it's rough water ride. Hell if you want to get picky, let's compare a 42' fountain to a 38' top gun. The fountain is still lighter and has a more hydrodynamic hull design. Give Reggie credit where credit is due, he built some bad ass boats no matter how long they are or aren't!!
I don't hear any cig fans bashing Hustler's 388 slingshot as only being a 35-36' boat and thus comparisons aren't "fair"
Oh and one more thing, that Scarab 33 AVS with kick any cig's a$$ with the same power regardless of length.

Don't Hate on me.............. I love the cig's too, but let's have a reality check here!

No ones hating on fountain...just rationally explaining why a 42' boat can be that fast. Has to do with smaller than usual running surface and weight. not even sure why an argument broke out. Thought the fountain guys would agree. It's all physics based but the fountain guys don't think so...must be the pixy dust that Reggie puts in the hulls during the layup process

MILD THUNDER 01-31-2015 06:01 PM

Doesnt seem like the beak, swim platform, or reduced running surface, caused this boat to have a hard time keeping up with 41 Apaches, or holding many race trophies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYbNXMq7c8

MILD THUNDER 01-31-2015 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4258733)
No ones hating on fountain...just rationally explaining why a 42' boat can be that fast. Has to do with smaller than usual running surface and weight. not even sure why an argument broke out. Thought the fountain guys would agree. It's all physics based but the fountain guys don't think so...must be the pixy dust that Reggie puts in the hulls during the layup process

So you dont think bottom design plays a role? Can you explain why my old 38 Fountain straight bottom was faster than a 31 Bullet with the same power, back in 1990? I can assure you the Bullet is not heavier, nor does it have nearly as much running surface. Matter of fact, the 38 Top Gun from that year wasnt much slower than the Cafe, or the bullet, with equal power.