Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Selling a boat myself to another private party - Need Advice >

Selling a boat myself to another private party - Need Advice

Notices

Selling a boat myself to another private party - Need Advice

Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

If he banks at any major bank, a branch should be near and able to help you. Like I have a U.S bank account, home branch is in Washington, but I was able to get a cashiers check at a branch near San Francisco. Out of city and home state. You should be able to go to any branch, assuming its not a credit union with limited branches available.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I may have a purchase agreement form I could email you. What would your email address be ?
Hilarious! Not sure it was supposed to be that funny, but I did chuckle out loud.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't see anywhere that you have a deposit from the buyer. If you don't I would not take anyone for a seatrial without a deposit .
Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

If the other party is financing he should bring a bank check made out to you or to your bank if you still have a lien or a combo of both. Don't turn over the title until the check clears. Demand a bank certified or cashiers check, not a personal check.

Last edited by Ing; 02-06-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Non-refundable deposit for sea trial, that covers your time and expense, cleaning etc.. I usually charge $250.....weeds out the looky lous and can be applied to purchase price.
Agree on the one hour drive, what a dream! All the boats I buy are in TX or on the East coast! Long drive from Colorado. And when I sell them, they are usually sold to people in NY, Great Lakes, or LOTO. Cash or Wire Transfer are only methods that buyer cannot back out of should they change their mind in a day or two. The last three boats I sold, were sold sight unseen, wire transfer or bank check clearing my account before boat leaves my possession.
Good Luck!!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

He brings cash or certified check from a bank in your area, sign title over, bill of sale for trailer and boat (incl engine transom and drive numbers) and make copies for yourself.

Why complicate everything.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Some great advice here. Thanks so much!! Really wish i could change my username though ;-)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Registered

When i bought mine had a rough agreement for purchase price set up and paid survey,final offer dependant on survey.Next day got survey,made offer.Seller accepted offer told him it would be a cash transaction.He owed money to bank met him at bank.He paid off his loan got a bill of sale notarized, got copy of his payoff. After all the horror stories, I got an honest deal, a great boat as advertised.
Driving across 3 states with a truckload of cash made me nervous,lol. I lied about price on bill of sale almost half of purchase price put it on title transfer form,DMV lady didn't think twice, should of said 10k would of save alot of tax.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomFTM
I don't see anywhere that you have a deposit from the buyer. If you don't I would not take anyone for a seatrial without a deposit .
So if someone paid a reputable surveyor to inspect and sea trial with you as captain, you would still feel that way?

That is serious intent from a perspective buyer in my opinion.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

My particular buyer plans on a survey and mechanical inspection and he will be paying to winterize afterwards, so i wasnt going to ask for a deposit. I am figuring if he is going to invest $3-400 in all that, i wasnt going to ask for a deposit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.