Can someone explain how lawyers work? >

Can someone explain how lawyers work?

Notices

Can someone explain how lawyers work?

Old 09-04-2002, 06:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain how lawyers work?

I could use some help on this one.

I sent a lawyer a retainer of a 1000.00. He said that would apply to what I owed him for his legal services. I sent him a check last week.

I looked at my bank statement online this morning and noticed the check has gone through the bank. How will I know what the actual bill is for his services?

I have never needed a lawyer before and want to make sure I'm not getting SCREWED!!

Just want to understand how they work. I want to make sure I'm getting my moneys worth.

Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Registered

On a monthly basis your attorney should send you an itemized statement of services rendered. Included in that statement will be any misc. expenses such as mailings, copies etc.. This statement should break down the costs based on hours or fractions thereof for each item and then apply them to his hourly rate.

I hope this helps. I would ask him or her to thoroughly explain to you the process and their rates etc. You deserve to know. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Shane
Old 09-04-2002, 07:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Shane,

Thanks a lot!!!

This is one of the reason I like OSO!!

Old 09-04-2002, 08:44 AM
Registered

In Michigan the lawyer is required to prepare an invoice whenever the client reqest one.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

If he good he will be looking for another couple of G's by the time you get your first statement.
No but really....dont ask him anything other than about your case. Your most likely being billed for minutes on the phone so any small talk is costing you. Get all your questions together before you pick up the phone and be clear in your head as to what kind of details you need in his response. If your clear on what you want the outcome of events to be and convey that to him it can cut down on lots of time.
I also like to fax him any info I have and speak w/ the secretary to be sure he's recieved and read it before I call.