Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Info and pics on the Sonic cat. >

Info and pics on the Sonic cat.

Notices

Info and pics on the Sonic cat.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I saw it up close pretty good, it's a carbon copy of a 32 Skater. Even the bottom, 5 steps and identical angles. They bought the mold from Target is what I was told. Good price point or not. I also wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Kia with a Benz logo. Same thing here
Old 02-16-2015, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Who actually built the boat then would be my next question, where was lay up done?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
I saw it up close pretty good, it's a carbon copy of a 32 Skater.......... I also wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Kia with a Benz logo. Same thing here
I completely agree, that's why I'm waiting to find a completely restored Cary, not one of those copy-cat Cigarettes....
Maybe if I find one I can race you in your original Bertram....

I guess IF they can deliver, and the layup and rigging are of good quality, the Kia/Benz comparison is moot, but only time will tell.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

The Cat is stunning. I watched it come together as well as my boat, the 42 V bottom with 1100 QC4V 's. Not going to get into any internet drama, but I will say , the whole experience was outstanding. I did not buy the boat at the show, I had it built. The guys from the factory brought the sold sign to the show. It wasn't put on the boat until I arrived there Friday. They wanted to take pics , and give me the full "new boat" experience. The boat far exceeds my expectations. Tony, Bruce, Omar, and the rest of the crew went above and beyond. Can't say enough good things about them. Fineline did a beautiful job on the interior as well. We should be testing in two weeks. I'll post some pics when I have a chance.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
I saw it up close pretty good, it's a carbon copy of a 32 Skater. Even the bottom, 5 steps and identical angles. They bought the mold from Target is what I was told. Good price point or not. I also wouldn't pay 20 bucks for a Kia with a Benz logo. Same thing here
wouldnt it be a benz with a kia logo if its essentially an exact copy?

anyways, i know for years most boats were splashes of other boats with some changes... but where does the legality line get crossed with exact copies?! im surprised skater hasnt made a fit about this yet. maybe they have i dont know?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

A Sonikater, Sounds perverted
Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 315duramax

anyways, i know for years most boats were splashes of other boats with some changes... but where does the legality line get crossed with exact copies?! im surprised skater hasnt made a fit about this yet. maybe they have i dont know?
Wonder if its because it was splashed across the border?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

The 32 Sonic cat is a splash of a Target, which is a Skater splash. Peter from Skater came to the Sonic booth, checked out the boat, and wished them luck with it. He had zero problems with how it came about. If Peter Hledlin is ok with it I don't see a problem.

Last edited by BONDO10; 02-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax

Lol- yes good point. It was early. Flying back home to the west coast.

Yes your right a Benz with Kia logo.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BONDO10
The 32 Sonic cat is a splash of a Target, which is a Skater splash. Peter from Skater came to the Sonic booth, checked out the boat, and wished them luck with it. He had zero problems with how it came about. If Peter Hledlin is ok with it I don't see a problem.
Hmmm, he sure had a problem with the Big Cat Nordic splashed. I am sure it would never cross his mind to contact his legal connections....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.