Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Powerboat Manufactures that not everyone knows about! >

Powerboat Manufactures that not everyone knows about!

Notices

Powerboat Manufactures that not everyone knows about!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Gary Armington's original 22 Talon molds came back to States unfortunately the new owner is very shady and screwed people on past boat related deals (Prior to this Talon venture). They had one boat in production with a thread on S&F but he caught so much crap for his past dealings he pulled it down. There are threads on S&F documenting the shady dealings. Too bad. The 22 Talon is one awesome design.

http://talon22.com/
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Someone in Havasu just built an 300xs outboard 22 talon but its called another brand and its made at even another brands factory.....beautiful boat either way. I will post more info once I find out.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

These have a new owner and will be trying to make a comeback.

www.cougarboats.com
Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

American Offshore is still building boats. Winning its class at the LOTO shootout at over 140mph also!

http://www.american-offshore.com/
Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Vicious marine aka Sparky in s.e. Michigan.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
Gary Armington's original 22 Talon molds came back to States unfortunately the new owner is very shady and screwed people on past boat related deals (Prior to this Talon venture). They had one boat in production with a thread on S&F but he caught so much crap for his past dealings he pulled it down. There are threads on S&F documenting the shady dealings. Too bad. The 22 Talon is one awesome design.

Don't believe everything the keyboard tough guys say. I know the owner of Talon22 and have bought my Cougar from him. I also know his father. That was a bunch of trumped up BS that "law enforcement" and his need to be screwed into the ground partners made up about him. I have been around the block and have a lot of job experience with worldwide and USA based companies in my life and know how the legal system works in this country.

They are good people and he was the fall guy for his partners mistakes. My next boat hopefully this winter will be a Talon 22 I/O hull with a 300xs or a 400 Verado on it. Leaning toward the Verado. I have been to his factory and the work they do is amazing. I spent a day there watching them lay up a hull in the mould while I waited for my wire transfer to complete.

Hype is hype and when you have partners, you open yourself up for a lot of BS. That is why I have worked for myself since I was 19. I will be 50 this year. Wait until you see my new Talon 22, I have some ideas I am working with Todd on to customize it to my needs. Until I get it the Cougar MTR 22 will fill the void but I want to go faster. The Cougar is a great handling hull, it is my first cat after my dad and myself owning many boats since I was 11. I grew up on a lake and had quite a few go pretty fast boats. I would prefer to not sink a ton of cash into this Cougar to go faster than 85 easy in 3 foot chop no problem and just spend my money on a 2016 Talon and engine of my choice 2016 new.

As far as how the Cougar MTR 22 handles rough water, I can fly above 3 footers on big lakes in TN and no worries at 80-85 no problem especially when going into a headwind. Downwind is a little more tricky. You know when you are overtrimming an I/O cat when you start dropping speed and with the Cougar you also can feel the deceleration when you trim down for turns etc. The drag is great and you can definitely feel the sweet spot when you do speed runs. I only have 15+ hours in the seat in mine and it is pretty easy to learn the trim. Is it as exciting as my Baja 170SS with built 200 back in the day.... no but it is easy and does not scare the wife. Good enough for me for now. Very solid boat and I really like it. Lot smoother ride than anything lake built in low deadrise V. Amazing difference. I still would like to own an Apache or high deadrise V on the lakes I run just to see how they do but first I get my dream boat that fits in the garage, hence 22", then a Vee in the new shop I am going to build in 2016 just to try for fun.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing

Don't believe everything the keyboard tough guys say. I know the owner of Talon22 and have bought my Cougar from him. I also know his father. That was a bunch of trumped up BS that "law enforcement" and his need to be screwed into the ground partners made up about him. I have been around the block and have a lot of job experience with worldwide and USA based companies in my life and know how the legal system works in this country.

They are good people and he was the fall guy for his partners mistakes. My next boat hopefully this winter will be a Talon 22 I/O hull with a 300xs or a 400 Verado on it. Leaning toward the Verado. I have been to his factory and the work they do is amazing. I spent a day there watching them lay up a hull in the mould while I waited for my wire transfer to complete.

Hype is hype and when you have partners, you open yourself up for a lot of BS. That is why I have worked for myself since I was 19. I will be 50 this year. Wait until you see my new Talon 22, I have some ideas I am working with Todd on to customize it to my needs. Until I get it the Cougar MTR 22 will fill the void but I want to go faster. The Cougar is a great handling hull, it is my first cat after my dad and myself owning many boats since I was 11. I grew up on a lake and had quite a few go pretty fast boats. I would prefer to not sink a ton of cash into this Cougar to go faster than 85 easy in 3 foot chop no problem and just spend my money on a 2016 Talon and engine of my choice 2016 new.

As far as how the Cougar MTR 22 handles rough water, I can fly above 3 footers on big lakes in TN and no worries at 80-85 no problem especially when going into a headwind. Downwind is a little more tricky. You know when you are overtrimming an I/O cat when you start dropping speed and with the Cougar you also can feel the deceleration when you trim down for turns etc. The drag is great and you can definitely feel the sweet spot when you do speed runs. I only have 15+ hours in the seat in mine and it is pretty easy to learn the trim. Is it as exciting as my Baja 170SS with built 200 back in the day.... no but it is easy and does not scare the wife. Good enough for me for now. Very solid boat and I really like it. Lot smoother ride than anything lake built in low deadrise V. Amazing difference. I still would like to own an Apache or high deadrise V on the lakes I run just to see how they do but first I get my dream boat that fits in the garage, hence 22", then a Vee in the new shop I am going to build in 2016 just to try for fun.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja170

85mph in 3' with a 22 pod cat....Uhh....no! After 9 posts of which one was a double post?

So you bought a I/O hull and you are going to mount an outboard on it? hmmmm?

That is some great rambling you have going one there.

Last edited by JRider; 09-16-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Kryptonite
Old 09-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRider
85mph in 3' with a 22 pod cat....Uhh....no! After 9 posts of which one was a double post?

So you bought a I/O hull and you are going to mount an outboard on it? hmmmm?

That is some great rambling you have going one there.
Dude...they were OSO three footers. That's like 6-10 inch waves. Ya gotta do the math.
[/B]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.