Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie

Notices

Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie

Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
Can you take a picture of the plumbing of the turbos? Trying to tell from the pics you posted how you guys plumbed 4 turbos on there. Honestly looks to only be two which would make it a twin turbo, correct???
Yes, correct, twin turbo. I dubbed the Platinum Quad Turbo.
I couldn't fathom the idea of trying to stuff four on each motor. Even though the hull is almost 12 feet wide the actual motor space is limited because of sponson dimensions.
Thank you for making this observation and commenting.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM
aex
Registered

And more background.
It's winter, 2012. The crew is hanging at the shop after work enjoying some refreshments and doing a little bench racing. Topic of discussion? How to power my brother's recently acquired 32 Superboat mono.
After much debate it was decided. Take one of the 540's we had on the shelf and twin turbo it. (Had the refreshments been hot chocolate we probably would have gone blower) Being a single engine hull it was an ideal turbo candidate because volumes of space exist and it had a stout drive.
Once exhaust manifolds were specd and turbo size calculated the orders went in. Fabrication commenced in May '12. This was a pretty big undertaking, Bobby had to build many one off components. Fortunately he has a Bridgeport, lathe, planers, welders you name it and by August she was breathing.
Once sea trials commenced everything was working pretty well. Big problem, props! We tested a few but with a New England winter approaching the vessel went into storage.
Spring 2013 back to props. Ironically enough my brother buys a pair of wheels from Miss Geico Racing and sure enough one does the trick. The boat has performs flawlessly, and I buy the 42 Platinum Cat from my old buddy Herb Stotler. Herb has no idea where we're heading with the former Cintron/Superheat. We briefly discussed the Superboat's propulsion and he was intrigued. I wanted to see more test miles on her before even contemplating another marine turbo. Fast pleasure boats rarely run at full load, race boats however are at full load probably 75% of the time or even more in dead calm conditions. This changes things for sure.
After 2 1/2 seasons of use no failures have occurred other than an alternator. It was tuned in the boat on 92 octane using EGT. We could run 87 if we had to as long as we dial a little boost out of it. The motor has never been dynoed but I'm pretty sure it makes more power than Superboat ever thought someone would put in a 32 and more power than Merc thought any one would put to a #5.

Last edited by aex; 03-08-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 PM
aex
Registered

Where are we? Still learning.
Herb has done numerous pulls, extended runs at different settings and all looks well.
We tried cams, different fuels and boost levels. It runs well no matter how you set it, so the basic system is sound. We are presently brainstorming, trying to predict what could be a stumble and make adjustments before a stumble occurs. A leakdown test and basic engine inspection showed no abnormal degradation. We are all very excited.
Much to my dismay we are not going to max it out on the dyno. It was collectively decided to test and tune for performance/driveability in intended realm of operation. It makes no sense to push way beyond what the hull, drives and throttleman can manage! Besides these are my only two engines!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539251[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-20150227_144919.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great, get them in the boat and start testing!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ba da da da da, im lovin' it
Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by 111scoundrel
Sounds great, get them in the boat and start testing!
Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Ba da da da da, im lovin' it
In the boat for sure.
Heroes or zeros, time will tell. Pray for us please.
Herb is making some minor changes to the plumbing and then final testing. Presently the drives, gimbals etc are off and awaiting service which Brian at Offshore handles. Boat should be back at Stotler's in 3 weeks, then reassembly will commence. We are going to test on Lake Lanier.
Anybody have a good deal on some low rake #6 five blades 33 to 36 pitch?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:24 PM
aex
Registered

Finally! The Platinum will be at Stotler's in a few hours.
The Turbos are looking good. We will test on Lake Lanier and intend to debut the boat at SBI's Pensacola event the weekend of 8/23.
If any one has interest in a pair of these monsters give Stotler a call.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542082[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-pace-car-platinum.jpg   Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-tilt-shop.jpg   Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-motors.jpg  

Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-mtr5.jpg   Whistling on the dyno, but not Dixie-herb-6.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck and stay safe
Old 06-13-2015, 09:24 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by innerrage
good luck and stay safe
Many thanks!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.