Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this a new negotiating tactic? >

Is this a new negotiating tactic?

Notices

Is this a new negotiating tactic?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a new negotiating tactic?

I'm selling a dirt bike and twice I've had people say they wanted it, done deal coming to pick it up. Then I get a call or email that they misread the price and thought it said x amount (much lower) then what I put on the add. I guess they are hoping I say, oh ok if you thought it said that I will sell it to you for that. Come on people, you aren't fooling anyone. If you use this technique please stop.

Last edited by jvcobra; 02-26-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My second favorite ploy from lowballers, right behind putting the word "cash" after a lowball offer. I've started replying that I don't accept beads, trinkets, government cheese, or food stamps as payment.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Registered

I'm also a huge fan of sight unseen negotiations via text. If they can't afford gas to come look at what I'm selling, they can't afford what I'm selling.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Registered

I lowball the crap out of people. Why? It's free. In fact, it's better than free, it pays dividends.

For all I know, you need X amount of dollars to make child support/court fees/etc. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I get told to screw off. Either way, no one should take it personal.

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
I'm also a huge fan of sight unseen negotiations via text. If they can't afford gas to come look at what I'm selling, they can't afford what I'm selling.
Often times I know exactly what I'm buying, so why wouldn't I save myself the trip if you won't come close to my price point?

Last edited by Cole2534; 02-26-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Registered

My favorite is they call, and go straight to "what's your bottom dollar" you know nothing about it or havnt looked at it. And my reply is, with out you looking at it it's asking price, come look at it and make me an offer.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same situation with a car for sale. Guy comes and looks at it, leaves a deposit, I write out a receipt. 2 Days later he comes to pick the car up and is short a couple hundred, says that is all he has. I gave him his deposit back and say no thanks we had a written deal Im moving on, he then says he will pay the original total if I write him out a warranty. It escalates from there him threatening me and my wife and me telling him to screw the game he was playing, also calling him a bottom feeding troll didn't help. A lot of tension for a $5k car, no more Craigslist car sales for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Registered

i got offered for a dirt bike 14 play station games, a nintendo 64, a signed football (for all we know it was his high school coach), new shoes, and $300 CASH. because everyone else was offering me credit card he thought? people are insane.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I'm tired of people trying to have a 5 minute verbal conversation in the form of text message....why type out a conversation over 60 minutes...pick up the damn phone and dial!

maybe I'm getting older but last few negotiations I've had have ridden the line of disrespectful. actually agreed to drive to meet a guy 2 hours away for him to hand me a stack of singles and $5's assuming I wouldn't count it, and the SOB tried to short me!....handed him his cash back, got in my truck and drove off.

Last edited by blckkat; 02-26-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Registered

this thread is going to turn into horror stories of craigslist
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cole2534
Often times I know exactly what I'm buying, so why wouldn't I save myself the trip if you won't come close to my price point?
You can save the trip, via a 2 minute phone call. I'm not irked by those calls if they're quick and to the point. My issue is with the lowball text conversations out of the blue, or when somebody wants justification on why I won't meet their price. I don't take it personally, I just laugh and shake my head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.