Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
July Sarasota race local news clip.. >

July Sarasota race local news clip..

Notices

July Sarasota race local news clip..

Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default July Sarasota race local news clip..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew_iW7JW260
Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news sounds like they're going to put on a great event. And more money to charity.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 PM
Registered

Seems promising.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't want to be debbie downer here, but a lot of holes in the story: first, not a single brand name team from sbi has been retained by opgp sarasota to race. ppl come to the races to see miss geico, cms, stihl, broadco, whm etc. none of those teams will be racing in the sarasota opgp race. they will be staying with former sanctioning body sbi (superboat intl). and that race will be in marathon fl on the same weekend. most racers and fans who follow the sport will very likely be going to marathon, and not sarasota.

these guys are advertising 2 days of racing, but they're including jetskis? huh?? that's not offshore powerboat racing, that's a filler. has anyone noticed the only brand name team being advertised is spirit of qatar? that's because they're the principal sponsor, and were also banned from competing in sbi.

what are the "more teams and boats" they speak of? p1 class? international? who? from where? no specifics? we're in march and sbi is making all kinds of announcements who has signed up for those races. opgp sarasota: teams???? i have no idea. will continue watching with interest on this. personally, i think once they switched to opgp and dumped sbi, and then miss geico signed on to be a co sponsor with sbi, sarasota is toast. miss geico IS sarasota. no begovich/gtanet and neon catamaran = no race fans in sarasota.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by foxbat
don't want to be debbie downer here, but a lot of holes in the story: first, not a single brand name team from sbi has been retained by opgp sarasota to race. ppl come to the races to see miss geico, cms, stihl, broadco, whm etc. none of those teams will be racing in the sarasota opgp race. they will be staying with former sanctioning body sbi (superboat intl). and that race will be in marathon fl on the same weekend. most racers and fans who follow the sport will very likely be going to marathon, and not sarasota.

these guys are advertising 2 days of racing, but they're including jetskis? huh?? that's not offshore powerboat racing, that's a filler. has anyone noticed the only brand name team being advertised is spirit of qatar? that's because they're the principal sponsor, and were also banned from competing in sbi.

what are the "more teams and boats" they speak of? p1 class? international? who? from where? no specifics? we're in march and sbi is making all kinds of announcements who has signed up for those races. opgp sarasota: teams???? i have no idea. will continue watching with interest on this. personally, i think once they switched to opgp and dumped sbi, and then miss geico signed on to be a co sponsor with sbi, sarasota is toast. miss geico IS sarasota. no begovich/gtanet and neon catamaran = no race fans in sarasota.
Does anyone know if the press conference further defined the schedule (first race?), classes, and teams? That news clip didn't say.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
Does anyone know if the press conference further defined the schedule (first race?), classes, and teams? That news clip didn't say.
hardly any solid info or any brand name teams..and that's my point: excerpt from opgp press release today:

Wednesday, March 11, 2014 // By Matt Trulio for speedonthewater.com

During a press conference yesterday, organizers of the renamed 2015 Sarasota Powerboat Grand Prix Festival—formerly the Sarasota Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix—in Florida announced the event will feature two full days of powerboat racing on July 4-5 off Lido Beach with televised coverage on CBS Sports Network. In prior years, the event had featured one day of offshore powerboat racing.

In a press release from the event organizers, Jason Miller, the general manager for the new Offshore Powerboat Grand Prix series, announced that Green Light Media will be filming for CBS Sports Network for the entire race series, and that the Sarasota race will be aired during prime time the following weekend after the Sarasota race.

An official roster of offshore racing teams committed to the event was not announced during the press conference. According to Lucy Nicandri, the director for the Sarasota event, several teams have signed contracts to compete and more than a dozen others have made "verbal commitments" to participate. (On hand for the press conference were noted Sarasota-based offshore racer Ryan Beckley of DoublEdge Motorsports, Billy Glueck of Twisted Metal Motorsports and others.)

Azam Rangoonwala, the director of P1 USA, also announced that the second round of the SuperStock Championships and AquaX Series will take place that same weekend off Lido Beach featuring P1's fleet of eight outboard-powered V-bottom powerboats and more 40 personal watercraft. These races will be regionally televised by Fox Sun Sports and nationally on MAV TV.

Several classes will run simultaneously on each day and will be covered in a livestream broadcast, according to the release. New for 2015 is an expanded VIP area on Lido Beach, which also will host the awards ceremony. Fans will have an opportunity to meet the racers and view the raceboats and watercraft on Friday, July 3, before the Festival Parade of Boats and expanded Downtown Block Party.

"Suncoast Charities for Children produces the Grand Prix Festival, which last year yielded a 26-million-dollar economic impact and over 15,900 room nights," Nicandri said in the release. "With inclusion of televised coverage showcasing this year's festival and Sarasota around the world, we hope to boost that economic impact number even higher this year while at the same time provide a net increase of money raised for the charity that serves local special needs children, teens and adults in the Sarasota area.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat

Usually we see pretty eye to eye on things. This one I disagree.

There will be at least 1 race fan in Sarasota....This guy.

They will still put on a show no matter what. I won't travel out of my back yard to the keys to watch SBI who seemed to get a little butt hurt last year and kill off an entire class to stand their ground (be it a small class). There is racing in my back yard I am going to it.

The big yellow miss G boat is just a couple months behind here in Clearwater to get that fill. If anything it will be nice to not see the same field show up within a couple months from one another now.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 03-11-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Usually we see pretty eye to eye on things. This one I disagree.

There will be at least 1 race fan in Sarasota....This guy.

They will still put on a show no matter what. I won't travel out of my back yard to the keys to watch SBI who seemed to get a little butt hurt last year and kill off an entire class to stand their ground (be it a small class). There is racing in my back yard I am going to it.

The big yellow miss G boat is just a couple months behind here in Clearwater to get that fill. If anything it will be nice to not see the same field show up within a couple months from one another now.
nate i hear ya bro, and we do usually line up pretty well. i will also give you the point that marathon is a bit of a haul, but until i see opgp start naming names, i'm not leaving town to see "40 personal watercraft" twisted metal, qatar #20 and jeskis! i'll stay home until cw. just sounding like more filler than true race teams to me. not saying sbi is by any means a well loved org either, but it sure seems like carbonell upped his game in 2015 and with geico on as a sponsor, sbi will increase it's presence.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Registered

I'm willing to bet a very large percentage of the spectating audience doesn't even know who is who when it comes to the racers. They just show up to see the races...like me. I also hear tell of a little fun run that may be happening that never dissapoints.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Bottom line it is Sarasota on 4th of July weekend, the beach and water will be packed. The vast majority of people who show up aren't diehard race fans, they are locals who want to have a good time. As much as I would like to see Miss G and the rest I am not trailering my boat 6 hours to do so when I can stay home and still have a good time. And the only (good) way to watch the race in Marathon is from a boat...Unless you want to stand on a bridge all afternoon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.