Notices

31 AO on Ebay!!!

Old 09-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark in So. MD

The AO is a little diffferent than my Chris. I have 2 x 650 hp with #2 speedmasters & Borg Warner transmissions (both add more weight). The drives have pretty high X and the cleaver props do not have much bow lift, they have stern lift instead. Depending on water conditions (smooth or rough) the porpoise can start between 85 to 95 mph and you just hang on a let it do its thing and she settles down aroun 100mph. I dont like it but I deal with it.

Puders is right, Scott could tell you better about his hull than I could. But I have heard Scott say they have gotten some of the porpoise out. The AO hull has been tweaked a little, its also lighter than the Chris and runs Bravo drives.

Below is a pic of my Chris I shot today on Lake Norman.
Attached Thumbnails 31 AO on Ebay!!!-mvc-014f.jpg  
Old 09-09-2002, 01:07 AM
Registered

Too Old

Thanks!

I told John that I would like to have his boat too but my wife would kill me if I had 2 cats His boat was not for sale until after I had already bought mine. But seeing his in Hot Boat was what made me want one in the first place. I never knew they were so few and hard to find, much less in good original condition.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flashback

Thanks for the reply. The Chris Cat's have always fascinated me. I became a Cat fan when my father bought a 23 Eliminator Daytona with the big OMC V 8 outboard GT 300 ( 300+ hp blueprinted by OMC Speed Shop-connections help) in 1989. I had never seen a boat like that with the 7 color gel coat so smooth and deep.

It's a blast to drive in Northern Michigan on a big lake even with when the water kicked up. The thing just rode so smooth, flat and turned like a sports car.

I have not heard about the porpoise before. I have been in an Donzi (18 ft 3 +2) that did the same thing at speed. It got scary around 65 - it was probably propped wrong since I think this is a lift issue.

Wannabe
Old 09-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cat Girl
If I'm not mistaken, the pic of the AeroTec looks like a spash of the old 30' Wellcraft Excalibur hull. Single step, droped nose, and a big fairing give it away.
Gary
Old 09-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Cat Girl

Talking

Gary,
I believe you are correct. Still a relatively similar boat and a great deal for someone who's looking for a 30' cat with lots of room. Are you interested?

Old 09-09-2002, 05:50 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Whoa..............

The "lope" in a Chris Cat/Shadow Cat (we affectionately call it the "Linder Hop") occurs when the hulls are transitioning from pure hydrodynamic lift to combined aero/hydro lift. This occurs between 80 and 95 and, while annoying, is not inherently dangerous. One of our boats, Love-It, "loped" to a World race record for the Modified class in Detroit on an especially calm, sticky day....This is very different from a vee bottom porpoise which tends to get worse with speed.

The "Linder hop" generally goes away as one passes through 90-100 mph. There have been various fixes that have worked to minimize this ranging from emlarging the wedge, adding a tunnel tab, changing prop diameter, etc. The best approach, if you have enough power, is to trim her in and power through it......but you have to have the torque to pull it off.

I ran three old style Merc 300's on the Shadow Cat prototype (They were the only ones in existence at the time (1981))............. two on a foot throttle and the third jury rigged with a hand throttle......... As the Mercury brass looked on I "Hopped" down the Fox River in Oshkosh........ at a cruising altitude of about 6.5 feet overall.....in the mid to upper 80's.............. and returned their beloved "family jewels" all in working order......... just as the thunder storm reached full crescendo..........

.....................I never claimed to be wound too tight

T2x....................remembering when he wasn't obsolete.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Registered

T2x

What is the fastest speed that you have ever heard of a Chris Cat running? (not the AO) If this design were to have power to exceed 130mph would the hop ever resurface again at speeds over 100 in getting to the 130 mark?

Do you know if any of the Skater designs porpoise? If they don't what is different?

How could you think you are obsolete when you have been there and done that? Theres to much knowldge and experience there to be obsolete.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Flashback,

Great looking ChrisCat you have there!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:39 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Flashback:

I spoke to a guy last year who claimed he had seen close to 150 with twin 1200's.....I believe he was from the Southwest.

The lope has one distinct speed range 80-95 and does not tend to restart at higher speeds. The outboards had less lope and my early twin engine o/b with twin t-4's had none at all up to max speed 96mph.

T2x
Old 09-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

Playn,
Thanks for the compliment. It will look better when I get the original hatch and sunpad back on. It is off for repairs.

I was at Lake Norman this past weekend and they were having an antique boat show at Queens landing. Lots of classic runabouts, tenders,hydros, crakerbox's etc. Most were wooden Chris Craft models. When we got there the show was already over but most of the boats exibiting were still in the slips that were reserved for the show. There was not any room at the regular dock to park the cat so I had to pull in a slip beside all of the classic boats and when I did, people swarmed around the ole Chris Cat It drew as much attention as the real classics did. Most of the old Chris Craft owners never new that Chris Craft had once produced a cat.

Quick Reply: 31 AO on Ebay!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.