Youth Movement: Upstate Powerboat's Phil Hess >

Youth Movement: Upstate Powerboat's Phil Hess

Notices

Youth Movement: Upstate Powerboat's Phil Hess

Old 04-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Best part is Phill Hess even CALLED TD Custom Paint asking for help on how to do different custom paint designs!

How rude
Seems this whole debate began with the perception of a young,cocky kid not willing to listen or reach out for advice from those with actual real-life experience. I interpret the "how rude" comment sarcastically, as it appears he has learned to take advice from experts when needed. I can not imagine a single established paint professional who would be so insecure in their life's position as to not provide some direction to a young guy that shares their same passion.

Matt's next article may take a look into OSO's history in handling young members who show enthusiasm and desire to be part of the powerboat industry. Past threads involving individuals who have ultimately risen to the top of the industry would indicate a very poor record of attempting to retain the interest of kids that possess desire, but lack maturity and/or experience.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 737 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Just saying if this kid does not have a business LIC and a assumed business name listed in the state that he operates in - It is 2 fold him for him , he can avoid state taxes and FED taxes but with out a business LIC, I would wonder where he is buying his parts and supplies from. For me to buy all the needed marine parts and supplies to run a boat business properly, I needed a business name and business checking account either DBA my name or the business name. I couldn't even open up a business checking account without the assume name thru the bank. This kid without a LIC has to be paying full retail for his stuff and a lot of companies will not even sell to you in the marine industry without being in the business legally. I would wonder if he leases a full listed commercial building how could he even get electric and a phone without a business LIC.

He could be using a high number of used parts bought via the boating forums, EBAY, Powerboat Swap and local contacts.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
AH! I gotcha now. Misrepresenting one's self is not usually the path to go down.
As a twenty one year old, how much could he misrepresent himself?
I'm not sure of the back story on Phil,but there's certainly a lot of emotion. He's young and trying to make something of himself and that's a good thing.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 906 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
As a twenty one year old, how much could he misrepresent himself?
I'm not sure of the back story on Phil,but there's certainly a lot of emotion. He's young and trying to make something of himself and that's a good thing.
and I can't believe he has read this thread without responding to his critics.......honestly that impresses me a ton! Personally I know I don't have the restraint!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, this looks like a good spot....

Singular, plural, hyphenated, .net, .com, .biz, etc, but the ones with the Nigerian suffixes would still be available....

I wouldn't do something like this, I'm not a pr!ck. I am, however, an instigator and facilitator of harsh lessons.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 04-13-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone should have read the add for the Cafe when it was for sale.. Completely restored Cafe Racer. Completely Rerigged, New Engines with warranty etc. etc.

Fact is they painted the boat and engines, put water pumps and a couple hoses on and tried to pass it off as rebuilt. There was a ton more border line criminal claims in the add but that sums it up pretty good.

If he would have come into this forum as a new young painter showcasing his work I would have done nothing but applaud him....
Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep your trap closed and let your work do the talking. Take all the help you can get and learn from it, no one starts at the top you have to earn your place there. And most of all be honest and as a young kid just starting off you will go far. Thats just my opinion carry on. ...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does he have a legitimate business?
Does he have Insurance?
Is he following EPA guidelines?
Is he qualified to do the work?
Does he misrepresent the work that he does?
Does he pay taxes?
Does this article lend credibility where it is not deserved?

All questions that boaters may or may not give a crap about but the OSO community is smart enough to make their own decisions and considering we all have boats to get ready for the summer aren't we too busy to waste time on this thread?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Does he have a legitimate business?
Does he have Insurance?
Is he following EPA guidelines?
Is he qualified to do the work?
Does he misrepresent the work that he does?
Does he pay taxes?
Does this article lend credibility where it is not deserved?

All questions that boaters may or may not give a crap about but the OSO community is smart enough to make their own decisions and considering we all have boats to get ready for the summer aren't we too busy to waste time on this thread?
My boat is an hour away and can olny work on it on the weekends so u have all the time in the world. ..lol
Old 04-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Is it even possible to have a glass and paint shop and follow every epa and osha rule??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.