Notices

Karting for Kids

Old 04-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Karting for Kids

Anyone have a kid in Karting. Looking to get my grandson into motorsports early. 5 years old. Seems like it could be a good in. Got the idea from watching the show Kart Life on TruTV
Old 04-17-2015, 09:22 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that is what your kid would enjoy, then go for it, there are an awesome bunch of people in karting and it's a sport you can enjoy anywhere in the world. I raced karts in the UK and USA up to the national level. Often the people having the most fun were the youngsters. It was a lot of fun to help them when time allowed. Biggest decision is whether to run dirt or sprint. There is much more fun racing on dirt IMO. Though I preferred the speed and precision of sprint racing on concrete/asphalt tracks; I really enjoyed my dirt track races for all the side by side action.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raced for at the local, state, national and money circut for 25 yrs and had both son and duaghter racing. That tv show is a joke is though as most reality ones are. If you want REAL competion and to have to stay on top of your game run dirt oval. Kart count is highest (more comp) more tracks, and plenty of big money races and pointys series to run. With that being said if you do run dirt, get on a good tire program other wise you will be dissappointed with your results.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Registered

There are (2) sprint courses within an hour of our house. The only dirt track in a couple hours. I'd probably start him off on pavement to see how he takes to it. Any suggestions for a good (used) kart. What manufacture, engine, etc.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:11 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIG3
There are (2) sprint courses within an hour of our house. The only dirt track in a couple hours. I'd probably start him off on pavement to see how he takes to it. Any suggestions for a good (used) kart. What manufacture, engine, etc.
Search for local karting clubs and visit, see which classes have best participation in your grandson's age group. Then see what chassis engine combo is winning in that class and go from there. Some karts work better at certain tracks depending on if it is a smooth or rough track
Old 04-18-2015, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just sold out two months ago. We raced dirt oval for fifteen years and finally gave it up due to my sons both being in college. Tons of fun, lots of travel, and good times. We bought a boat two years ago when the karting started to wind down. Karting can be as competitive as you want it to be, from weekend warrior to chasing points and National events. Kart life on True Tv is a joke, it is nothing like what our experience was. We did have a few memorable scuffles along the way. Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I raced also for years. Both IKF and WKA. That show is so stupid it's amazing I agree dirt is the way to go for fun and the most competition. We ran coyote chassis' when we raced. Chassis choice is dependent on what people run in your area That will lead to what parts are available locally.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 PM
Registered

I'll have to look into dirt a little further.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
If that is what your kid would enjoy, then go for it, there are an awesome bunch of people in karting and it's a sport you can enjoy anywhere in the world. I raced karts in the UK and USA up to the national level. Often the people having the most fun were the youngsters. It was a lot of fun to help them when time allowed. Biggest decision is whether to run dirt or sprint. There is much more fun racing on dirt IMO. Though I preferred the speed and precision of sprint racing on concrete/asphalt tracks; I really enjoyed my dirt track races for all the side by side action.
I agree!
We still race Kart's. There are great life lesson for your kids to be had in Karting. While I do not have kids. the kid's I encounter racing are usually smart polite and motivated. The serious one's know they need science, business and people skills to be successful.