Surveyor near Amsterdam, NY? >

Surveyor near Amsterdam, NY?

Notices

Surveyor near Amsterdam, NY?

Old 04-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surveyor near Amsterdam, NY?

Looking to pick up a boat out there and want to have a survey done on it. Just from Google looks like Bartlett Marine is a good option but wondered if anyone on here had any experience with anyone in the area.

Boat:

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/31939

Surveyor:

http://bartlettmarine.net/

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I am from that area really close and want to make a trip up there. Anyways I am fully able to provide 4 sure a mechanical pre purchase inspection far better than 99% of a SAMs or marine surveyor's. I am also pretty darn good with the structural build of the boats as well. I have fully rigged some outboard boats thru out , but plenty of OMC sterndrives, rerigged Yamaha sterndrives conversions and my share of plenty Volvo Penta and Mercruiser's. Even currently. Totally current with themajor marine OEM's training as well. Timeframe for this is the only problem I - 4 see. I am super busy.

My best advice is 2001 496's had really some indepth SB's that needed to be done. ECM reflash added with a IAC muffler because the first tune for the Merc 496 ran rich but only used 30 % IAC input / cal from the PCM 555 to control idle. . The reflash PCM 555 went to a 100 % IAC input / cal and added the IAC muffler to cushion the hissing noise. Next the early 496's had huge push rod replacement because of improper machining that cause problems. It would be best to get the engine serial # to see what falls under this 496 and what has been done thru out the years for service bulletins and dealer warranty work. I am not saying this exact engine is a problem child but will say some early 496' s did have some indepth issues. There is more SB's as well thru out the years for the 496's.

I would check to make sure the AD on PBL is still for sale as a lot of old ads for boats are long gone. Just saying.

Last edited by BUP; 04-18-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I am from that area really close and want to make a trip up there. Anyways I am fully able to provide 4 sure a mechanical pre purchase inspection far better than 99% of a SAMs or marine surveyor's. I am also pretty darn good with the structural build of the boats as well. I have fully rigged some outboard boats thru out , but plenty of OMC sterndrives, rerigged Yamaha sterndrives conversions and my share of plenty Volvo Penta and Mercruiser's. Even currently. Totally current with themajor marine OEM's training as well. Timeframe for this is the only problem I - 4 see. I am super busy.

My best advice is 2001 496's had really some indepth SB's that needed to be done. ECM reflash added with a IAC muffler because the first tune for the Merc 496 ran rich but only used 30 % IAC input / cal from the PCM 555 to control idle. . The reflash PCM 555 went to a 100 % IAC input / cal and added the IAC muffler to cushion the hissing noise. Next the early 496's had huge push rod replacement because of improper machining that cause problems. It would be best to get the engine serial # to see what falls under this 496 and what has been done thru out the years for service bulletins and dealer warranty work. I am not saying this exact engine is a problem child but will say some early 496' s did have some indepth issues. There is more SB's as well thru out the years for the 496's.

I would check to make sure the AD on PBL is still for sale as a lot of old ads for boats are long gone. Just saying.
Thanks, the 496 is a 2003 but I'll check into it. It's still for sale, we've had an agreement for awhile the boat has just been in storage and if finally out.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Ok I see now that possible repower, engine is newer than boat. ECM still needed to be reflash back to Merc - super rich condition on many. It was field campaign back then that ran into 2003 as well. Again engine serial number would be a great start to see what has been done and the SB's that pertain to this exact engine along with warranty work done thru out the years.

You want a mechanical inspection performed by a certified trained Merc tech and has a lot of experience with the 496. Many Merc techs still can be clueless about the 496 because the 496 was a engine package that really did not produce sales at the dealership they worked at.

The Dealership might have sold Glastron, or boats 24 ft and down for example. I am giving you very sound advice here especially about the mechanical end of this. I am not pressing you to hire myself for the job. Believe me I have more than I can handle here by far plus time away I surely will be losing money.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Checkmate is everything the seller says it is. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had Bartlett survey a boat I bought from a dealer in Schenectady. He did a very thorough job and did it very quickly for a reasonable price. I recommend.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Registered

This kid is a personal friend of mine, just saw this post, that boat is spotless and I tell him all the time he is never going to be able to replace it, you will not be disappointed..I will promise you,you will not find another used boat this clean unless it was mine haha.. Good luck with it if you purchase it.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Registered

Survey was done last night scheduled to pick it up Monday.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:50 PM
BUP
Banned

Can you post your report or anyone else, I would like to see how especially SAMs surveyors perform the mechanical side of things. ie: printed scan reports - verify hours, balance tests, compression tests, fuel pressure, fault history, current faults, timing and advance if applicable, fuel samples, proper marine parts installed, pull outdrives - check u joints, GB all bellows, water intrusion, propshaft run out and what maintenance is needed and so forth. Again just really want to know the indepth of their mechanical inspections. Thanks for doing so.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Can you post your report or anyone else, I would like to see how especially SAMs surveyors perform the mechanical side of things. ie: printed scan reports - verify hours, balance tests, compression tests, fuel pressure, fault history, current faults, timing and advance if applicable, fuel samples, proper marine parts installed, pull outdrives - check u joints, GB all bellows, water intrusion, propshaft run out and what maintenance is needed and so forth. Again just really want to know the indepth of their mechanical inspections. Thanks for doing so.
That was done at a marina with a merc certified mechanic. Had I not been in a rush I'd have gotten ahold of you. Surveyor hhimself didn't do anything mechanical other than basic inspection for leaks, fluid levels, ect.

Edit: to be clear the mechanic only scanned the engine and provided the print out. At 271 hours and speaking to several people that know the boat personally as well as passed owners I was comfortable not going more in depth with the mechanical portion.

This was the 3rd boat I looked at and contacted surveyors about, not one of them was capable of even scanning the engine. None did leak downs or compression checks. This is the first survey I've ever had done.

Last edited by 02RedWS6TA; 04-24-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.