Notices

1987 41 Apache

Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

6s are much heavier than the 3s.
Will screw up the boat's COG if the boat was built w/ 3s originally.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 3,024 Likes on 991 Posts

The shaft sizes are the same and there's twin verticals like 6's. Actually, internally I never understood the difference between a 3a and a 6. 3a's were always referred to as baby 6's i ran the **** out of my 3A's on my gun in the Pacific Ocean in big water. I never stressed zinging the drives while airing the boat out. It was very comforting knowing I had those drives hanging off the back. I think the 3a's are rated to 800hp and the 6's are rated up to 1200 ???
Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I hear this cog issue over and over again, how many apaches have 6's on them? And how many were actually built with them?
Take a 37 outerlimits stilletto for example, same bottom, same cockpit and cabin layout but you could buy the boat with side by side bravos, stag bravos, side by side 5's stag 5's, stag 6's or triple bravo, yet no one complains the cog is screwy.... Unless something is WAY off like a 28 saber I know with the fuel tank behind the rear seat and a Konrad ace on a box i have yet to see a major cog issue.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ujd, all I know is I had spent sometime w/ Magnum Mark and he had mentioned this to me.
I consider him to be one of the most knowledgeable and experienced, especially on Apache's.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think getting it back to the US and registered could be a task? Not sure how that works and why is there no pics of the engine comp? Makes me wonder, other than that it's cool.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
6s are much heavier than the 3s.
Will screw up the boat's COG if the boat was built w/ 3s originally.
on a tank like the 41 apache i wouldnt think it would make a bit of difference
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
I hear this cog issue over and over again, how many apaches have 6's on them? And how many were actually built with them?
Take a 37 outerlimits stilletto for example, same bottom, same cockpit and cabin layout but you could buy the boat with side by side bravos, stag bravos, side by side 5's stag 5's, stag 6's or triple bravo, yet no one complains the cog is screwy.... Unless something is WAY off like a 28 saber I know with the fuel tank behind the rear seat and a Konrad ace on a box i have yet to see a major cog issue.
the center of gravity makes a big difference on an apache. if it wasn't built as a 6 boat then there is substantial work that needs to be done to make it preform/ work properly. what i was told is if it was built as a 3 boat then leave it as a 3 boat. i have spoken with mark m. on this topic and i would think he would know.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
the center of gravity makes a big difference on an apache. if it wasn't built as a 6 boat then there is substantial work that needs to be done to make it preform/ work properly. what i was told is if it was built as a 3 boat then leave it as a 3 boat. i have spoken with mark m. on this topic and i would think he would know.
So what was changed on island racer? Anyone have pics of these substantial changes or is the cog all screwed up on it? It was built before the 6 drive even existed wasn't it?

Last edited by Unlimited jd; 05-01-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
Just curious here, are we talking about a really well setup race boat or a pleasure boat? I would think that changing a small percentage of overall weight on the transom would not have that big of an effect, then again, I have no experience to base this on.

14,000# boat (rough guess)
500# change in hardware (rough guess)
=3.6%

I guess that number is bigger than I thought, but still, will it upset the boat?
Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 366 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Just curious here, are we talking about a really well setup race boat or a pleasure boat? I would think that changing a small percentage of overall weight on the transom would not have that big of an effect, then again, I have no experience to base this on.

14,000# boat (rough guess)
500# change in hardware (rough guess)
=3.6%

I guess that number is bigger than I thought, but still, will it upset the boat?
Shouldn't it be looked as Force(mass) x Distance. So being the drives are most furthest aft that small amount of drives can have a significant change due to the distance from the CG. I am curios how the boats where set up differently. I imagine the main difference would be fuel tank location. I wonder if there where any other levers that could be pulled..... Engine location?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.