Transom Mounted Water Pickup Questions >

Transom Mounted Water Pickup Questions

Notices

Transom Mounted Water Pickup Questions

Old 04-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom Mounted Water Pickup Questions

A friend of mine brought a 20 Outlaw with a 305/260 hp Mercruiser last fall. Within 2 months he changed over to Mercruiser 383/350 hp stroker MPI. This was a Mercruiser reman he brought from Offshore Performance in Florida. He removed the Bravo water pump and used the Alpha water pump for cooling. However, within 9 hours the motor was rapping hard. Mercruiser had him send the motor back and voided the warranty as soon as they saw he removed the Bravo pump. They claimed it was overheated and #3 and 5 cylinders were scored. The motor was sent back to the owner, minus several parts and everything just thrown into a crate. With no warranty and no other options, the motor was taken to a reputable local engine builder whereas upon disassembly it was discovered the motor was doomed has soon as the key was turned. It was discovered the crankshaft shifted ahead grinding the journals and main caps sending metal thru out the engine. Even the valves were not seated properly among other things. They were also surprised to see no oil cooler and 2 bolt mains on a stroker motor. The only parts salvageable are maybe the heads, intake and exhaust, pretty much everything will be replaced and a 4 bolt main block will be used as well as a oil cooler.

Although I believe the Alpha water pump can cool the 383 adequately, the owner doesn't want to take chances since this is all coming out of his pocket and wants re-install the Bravo water pump. With the Bravo water pump, he will need to install a transom mount water pickup. He brought a Hardin adjustable water pickup http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12543...ess-steel.aspx and the question is where to mount. The bottom pad is only 6" wide at the transom, the plan was to mount at the edge but disturbed water flow into the prop is a concern. Can the pickup be located a few inches up the vee from the pad at a right angle to the vee? Does he need to install a pressure relief valve? The Alpha water pump will be used for an oil cooler and exit via a water dump to cool the drive.

Any info will be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, You can mount it to the side. They are usually trim to fit. Meaning once installed you trim the length of the scoop to adjust water flow...
Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Here`s another option
I had Imco make mine with a 1" nipple at the end so it threads straight into a shut off before any hoses.

http://www.imcomarine.com/cal_store/...er-pickup.html
Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Do you have a sawzall... lol