Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift? >

any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?

Notices

any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Default any downside to using my trailer as the bed on an airlift?

I will never use my trailer again, so am planning to fab my own airlift, basically a cage system to hold the plastic 55 gallon drums, then was going to bolt my trailer on top as its fits and supports the hull perfectly. if i ever need to haul my boat the marina has one i can borrow. Its an anodized alum 3 axle trailer... any downside to doing this? Thx for any advice, rm
Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
I will never use my trailer again, so am planning to fab my own airlift, basically a cage system to hold the plastic 55 gallon drums, then was going to bolt my trailer on top as its fits and supports the hull perfectly. if i ever need to haul my boat the marina has one i can borrow. Its an anodized alum 3 axle trailer... any downside to doing this? Thx for any advice, rm
I would be worried that the trailer would fall apart.....most trailers at the end of their life cycle are getting tired!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Phil, slow down on the weed I think its frying ur brain .....
Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomFTM
Phil, slow down on the weed I think its frying ur brain .....
"Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible" lol.

Dont just bust my baalls pls point out the down side brother.

It supports the boat perfectly, its anodized aluminum, in perfect condition, my boat its never going to be towed to another area, i will never sell it as the colombians build a pos boat! It would save me a bunch of time.

I will build the frame out of steel sections that bolt together., then epxoy paint it, my partner has about 100 empty 55 plastic drums i will interconnect with air lines using only brass hardware, i have two compressors on the island for my nail guns so i will plumb the dock for air...

http://www.calboatlift.com/

scroll down to the shoremaster lift has a rear view of a boat with twin outboards... i would,box in the 55 gallon drums instead of using some high dollar 35ft long plastic tanks, i would make a stout frameworķ using 4 runs of 2x6 hd. Square tubing for the backbone then 2x2 3 /8th angle to box in the tanks and done!... i built my own chassis for my blown 48 ford anglia so this would be a piece of cake in comparison!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Registered

It would take 30 years for the trailer to oxidize to ashes, if you guys think thats an issue i will epoxy primer and paint it too!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steel cage + aluminum trailer + salt water= major corrosion fast. Better do a helluva job insulating the dissimilar metals from each other.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Registered

It would take 30 years for the trailer to oxidize to ashes, if you guys think thats an issue i will epoxy primer and paint it too!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Steel cage + aluminum trailer + salt water= major corrosion fast. Better do a helluva job insulating the dissimilar metals from each other.
Strips of conveyor belt, stainless hardware, the trailer where it contacts the steel,beside it will be out of the water 99% of the time, after i launch the boat i will raise it so its only in the water very short periods of time...
Old 05-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Btw thx for the heads up on the dissimilar metals... thats why i created the thread for some of u guys to point out things to consider in the project...
Old 05-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love out of the box thinking!! I would say "go for it"

Any idea the buoyancy of a 55 gallon drum? What's the boat + trailer + cage weigh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.