Talking

It's all in my name!!!!
Yes, we would like a spot.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 99 38 Avenger 525sc's 600+ hp SOLD and a 2016 2700 Playcraft Extreme w/350 Merc Verado

Thanks OSO .
Like I said before, sorry if I forgot anyone, it was just a question.
I can't believe I forgot Black Thunder
Gordo it would be interesting to hear your side of these brands.
I must have just missed Velocity, sorry guys.
Thanks to everyone that responded.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Registered

My Boats: '91 Carbon 70 Cafe, 3370 Pursuit

Envision Owners Unite!!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998, sunsation, dominator

yeah Gordo, give us a rundown on what you know about these brands, comparing them to each other would be cool. i have owned a several boats, but never knew how each one compared to others in it’s class. it would be nice to hear from someone who has extensive time with different boats, rather than just someone who tests a boat for one afternoon and then writes an article on it.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:53 PM
DallasHeat

I don't see the Nordic Forum...Did I miss it? or do I have to be more patient

DallasHeat

Old 09-10-2002, 03:54 PM
DallasHeat

Gordo,

I too would be very interested in your unbiased comparison...

Old 09-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition
Default Yes I did.

I shoulda stayed out of this, but that's what I get for going out for a few margarita's and come home to read the board.
Ok, remember, these are my impressions only, either from actual racing experience, testing experience, or working on that particular brand...

Challenger- Great hull design. Handle great and are a pretty fast boat. Quality is pretty good. A very solid boat, but fit & finish could be better. Down side is the owner of the company wants Challenger to grow, he just doesn't seem to move in that direction. The 28 with a 502efi and Bravo 1 drive with a raised X would be an outstanding boat. Unfortunately, most of them have 454's with Bravo III drives mounted in the basement.

Rinker- Most of my experience is with the smaller runabouts and a couple of cruisers. First, the cruisers are really nice boats. Getting close to the quality of a new Sea Ray but not the price. The runabouts run good. Certainly not the quality of a Cobalt but still a little better than the new Bayliners, which in my opinion, have drasticly improved in the last few years. I like the way the 236 Captiva runs.

Envision- What can I say. If you want a boat that is solid, has somewhat of a performance look, lots of seating, rides like a Caddy, cuts thru rough water like butter, and is deep enough to keep the little ones firmly in place, then this is a great boat. If you want to go fast, keep shopping.

Awesome- I can only share hearsay here. I have heard good and bad about this boat. The bad was from a highly respected person in offshore racing, but was about 10 years ago. The good has been in the last few years, and it seems its racing record is backing that up. The fact is, this is one of the boats I have no actual experience with. Sorry gang.

Nordic- Sweet looking boat. Built VERY well by people that take pride in their work. The folks at Nordic like their job, and it shows. I've been to the factory 3 times, and each time I was impressed with the fit, finish and structural quality of these boats. Very solid. Sadly, (as some of you may remember), I never got a ride in one, but two owners of the 28 said they did not get the speed they were told they would get. We've all seen the advertisements of "radar" speeds in the 28 and the 25. I tried three times to see it for myself. I never did, and they knew why I was there.

Nortec- My only experience with these boats was on the race course, racing alongside the 380 Nortec Superfast of Mastry Marine. That boat was gone thru by APBA inspectors more than any other boat in Factory 2 that year. The motors were legal, the boat was stock, but that sucker SCREAMED !!!! I did get to crawl around inside that 380, and I got a tour of a 50' Nortec that runs around LOTO. These boats are top of the line. I'm really surprised they don't give Cigarette and OuterLimits more of a challenge for top end sales.

OuterLimits- Again, top of the line stuff. Fast, strong, and sweet looking. Look for one of these to possibly dominate the Factory 2 circuit soon.

Profile- (sigh) At the risk of being sued, I won't give my full impression. Let's just say, I used to work on a few of these. The dealership I worked for worked on QUITE a few of these. I've seen Quite a few of them have some major problems. Some were quite fast, but I wouldn't push one too hard. I have heard they have gotten better. I hope so. They could be a pretty good boat if the quality was addressed. Let's just say, they're not quite what I would expect for a performance boat.

Velocity- Ok, here we go... I like these boats. I've owned one, raced three different ones, raced against a few of them, Seen them win some big races, and seen some of them practicly implode on impact. I've been to the factory, which was typical of most other factories. They use lots of top shelf stuff. They have a fast hull design, but in big chop will beat the crap out of you. especially in really big water. They are fast, but people don't buy them for their smooth ride. There are those Velocity lovers that say, "you just have to know how to drive one". They're right. Velocitys are a drivers boat. They like to run loose, but loose is fast. They like to chinewalk, which comes with running loose, but they can put you into such a violent chinewalk that there is even an old saying, "One, two, three, you're thrown out!" The new VR1 seems to be a nice ride. It has survived a few races so Stepp must have started making the race boats more like the recreational boats rather than superlightweights. I'm glad to see that. Steve Killdahl is a great guy, a talented racer and an outstanding competitor, (which is a big reason for many Velocity victories).
Sometimes I miss my old Velocity. I feel that boat made me a better driver and racer. Either that, or it was gonna kill me.

So, there you have it folks. Not the professional write up that some of you may have been expecting, but maybe some things Bob Teague woldn't tell you. As you've seen, a couple of these I really have limited experience with. Some, I've seen in the dry pits, and as they screamed by me race after race. I've looked at and studied some of these at great length. Some, I was pleasantly suprised. Some, horrified me.

Last edited by Gordo; 09-10-2002 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

My Boats: poker runs offshore racing

Gordo,
What do you think of BlackThunder boats?
Thanks
David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 09-11-2002, 08:25 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition
Default A WHOLE lot of boat for the money!

Ok, I haven't been in a Black Thunder in about 6 years, but I was really impressed with the overall performance of this boat considering it's size, (which is just short of an offshore performance condo). Nice boats, good quality, looks great on the water. Fit & finish wasn't quite up to par with the Formula, but for the money, they're hard to beat. On the other hand, a fellow board member has one that has beautiful paint, and the fit & finish is really nice, which may mean quality control has improved at the plant. The one I drove was on the Ozarks, which, even though LOTO can get nasty, is no challenge for this monster. I'd love to cruise one of these to the Bahamas and back.
I've only driven one, but I remember being surprised at the speed of this boat with a pair of stock 502 mags.

(laughing) geez, I offer a blunt, honest opinion on a few boats and now I'm getting fanmail. I keep waiting for the one that says, "Comes now the plaintiff..."
Old 09-11-2002, 08:33 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

My Boats: poker runs offshore racing

Gordo,
Thank you for your response on Black Thunder, that is what I needed to here.
David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc