Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
current Scorecard
Hammer Down Boating: 12,393 likes
Speedonthewater.com: 7,448 likes

Could I interest anyone from either parties to the 2nd annual Arm Wrestling Contest in Key West this November? Round 1 went to Hammer Down, care to redeem Speed on the Water, Matt?
Yes, Hammer Down Boating has a lot more Facebook "Likes." And that is wonderful.

However, in terms traffic over any given period, speedonthewater.com has averaged between 70,000 and 80,000 visits per month since January according to Google analytics.

Facebook and Twitter are social media referral and marketing arms for the site, nothing more or less. Power to Hammer Down Boating for their higher number of "Likes."

As for the arm wrestling contest ... those guys are young! I'll surrender gracefully before I start.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by foxbat
Hammer Down Boating kicked ass covering Cocoa, on site. I've seen so much erroneous prose, misstated words and adjectives from sources all over the forums, write-ups, and FB that NO ONE is in any ivory tower to be criticizing others.

Now, back to business: M, WTF went on with the 1650's at Cocoa?
No ivory tower, just work. Here's our wrap-up story, the one that lead this thread, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...s-of-attrition. Get please get back to me when you have a moment regarding "all the erroneous prose," because from what I understand the racers are pleased.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-19-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
No ivory tower, just work. Here's our wrap-up story, the one that lead this thread, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...s-of-attrition. Get please get back to me when you have a moment regarding "all the erroneous prose," because from what I understand the racers are pleased.
well, if the shoe fits, wear it. since you asked for it, here's two exhibits from your article yesterday: http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-of-a-rollover

Ex 1:

Driver/owner Chuck Broaddus and throttleman Grant Bruggemann had been pushing hard in their Superboat-class 40-foot Marine Technology, Inc., catamaran, and they're work had been paying off.

i believe that s/b their, not they're

Ex 2: They caught and passed the WHM Motorsports Skater cat earlier in the lap and were headed for turn at the north end of the course.

headed for turn__? what? the turn, a turn, turn 1, turn 2??

everyone is imperfect, and acting like you ARE the ivory tower judge critiquing other ppls mistakes (real or perceived) is quite ridiculous.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

well, if the shoe fits, wear it. since you asked for it, here's two exhibits from your article yesterday: http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...-of-a-rollover

Ex 1:

Driver/owner Chuck Broaddus and throttleman Grant Bruggemann had been pushing hard in their Superboat-class 40-foot Marine Technology, Inc., catamaran, and they're work had been paying off.

Ex 2: They caught and passed the WHM Motorsports Skater cat earlier in the lap and were headed for turn at the north end of the course.

everyone is imperfect, and acting like you ARE the ivory tower judge critiquing other ppls mistakes (real or perceived) is quite ridiculous.
At first I couldn't find the errors you noted, and then I just noticed that we are talking about two different stories. I'll pass your corrections on to my editor at OSO. Thank you for those—they should have been caught in the copy editing process.

My initial comment had nothing to do with judging the quality of anyone's work, but simply about giving proper credit. Had someone thanked us, for example, for carrying the livestream, I would have said "You're welcome" and then thanked SBI for giving us access to it.

And yes, we are all imperfect. But if you think I live in an ivory tower, you're misunderstanding the concept. I'm a working journalist, every day. Do I have an education, training and some experience? Of course. But I'm not sure when those became negatives.

Obviously, you have choices as to what you read and where you get your coverage. We can only hope you choose us.

And on that note, I'm done. I have to get to work.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 05-20-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ex 1:

more salt please
Old 05-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Instead of worrying about grammar how about some racing talk? I'm still curious about Lucas oil racing TM and instigator. Is it another game of the rules don't apply to all? Build a new spec engine class and 2 guys build new engines and rerig there boats. Lucas oil decides not to and still gets points and gets to race?!?