Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I propose that everyone who owns a mercruiser product gets...... >

I propose that everyone who owns a mercruiser product gets......

Notices

I propose that everyone who owns a mercruiser product gets......

Old 05-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Apparently you missed this one unless you think steel and salt water are a good combo.

"or the a-hole that decided trim pump and drive lube brackets should be painted steel, fk him!"
That's simply cost cutting, no engineers involved.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
Apparently you missed this one unless you think steel and salt water are a good combo.

"or the a-hole that decided trim pump and drive lube brackets should be painted steel, fk him!"
Originally Posted by Cole2534
That's simply cost cutting, no engineers involved.
This is the root of most the complaints in this thread so far. Nothing the engineers did, simply the bean counters that are worried about saving $.000001 over several thousand units.

The location of the water pump on the bottom of the engine is due to physics. Mercury didn't put the pump down there just to piss you off. You should be pissed at your boat manufacturer since they build the boat around the engine, not vice versa.

Last edited by davidwademarine; 05-26-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

I think there are a lot more Engineers then Bean Counters on this thread.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Had some electrical work done on a Sea Ray by the local marine electronics company some years ago and as the guy was crawling around on his back in the transverse bunk with the headlining pulled out and his arm stretching upward around a couple of 90 degree bends trying to get to a relay, I asked him if there's ever been a boat that is easy to work on and he said........ "Yes, but it's called a house!"

RR
Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Registered

Every engineer is a bean counter - engineering scope includes budget. Budget to build project = (Market Sales Price) - (company Porfit Margin)

Even the high end engines and drives (arneson, custom engine builders) follow the above rule. The difference in those cases is the market sales price.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Registered

I'm here to chew on some crow.

Was reading up on the wiring of the safety systems in the 502 Mag and the drive oil sensor, and the oil pressure sensor are wired normally open. That's plain stupid. Those sensors should be configured normally closed (NC) so that ANY failure triggers an alarm, not just their sense points. For instance, if one's oil pressure sensor switch were to break off in use, not only would the sensor not detect the failure it would actually lead to the conditions it's trying to prevent - oil starvation.

All warning systems should be wired NC, and safety systems should be wired for both conditions where possible. That would be known as fail safe.

EDIT - safety lanyard is wired NO as well. Dumb.

Last edited by Cole2534; 06-07-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
From all the reading I have done here I'm SHOCKED that the fabulous BRAVO DRIVE wasn't at the top of this list!
agree the TRS is actually stronger
Old 06-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cole2534
I'm here to chew on some crow.

Was reading up on the wiring of the safety systems in the 502 Mag and the drive oil sensor, and the oil pressure sensor are wired normally open. That's plain stupid. Those sensors should be configured normally closed (NC) so that ANY failure triggers an alarm, not just their sense points. For instance, if one's oil pressure sensor switch were to break off in use, not only would the sensor not detect the failure it would actually lead to the conditions it's trying to prevent - oil starvation.

All warning systems should be wired NC, and safety systems should be wired for both conditions where possible. That would be known as fail safe.

EDIT - safety lanyard is wired NO as well. Dumb.
The reason its done that way is to prevent a situation (wherever possible) where you may be near the rocky coast or on a dangerous bar crossing or something like that and your say oil pressure sensor breaks off. If it was NC youd be mostly f#$&ed. Washed on the rocks or turned over on the bar etc. At least NO you have a chance of driving to a place of safety. Yes, chances of doing real damage are increased but life is seen as more important (well, to some of us. lol). Ever noticed guardian will NEVER shut down the engine, just limit power output to try and prevent catastrophic damage, this is for that exact reason.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Registered

Good point on the oil.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My biggest gripe is the maintenance of the gimbal ring, upper and lower swivel pins. Not a big deal once you install the JR Marine kit, but the transom assy should have been designed with maintenance in mind. In silty environments, such as here on the Missouri River, those lower swivel pins wear out pretty quick and the dealers really take advantage of those customers by insisting engines be pulled to remove transom assy for repair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.