Notices

Excursion sway bar

Old 09-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excursion sway bar

Thinking of adding one, and wanted to give the OSO family first chance. Any OSO'ers sell them, and which ones do you reccomend?
Old 09-10-2002, 10:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Not sure about the Excursions buti just got a set of Addco bars for my Jeep Grand Cherokee and WOW!! what a difference!! I'm takeing turns like it was a sports car now! makes a huge difference in how the truck leans and rolls! I think with any good brand name bar you should be good.
Addco and Hotchkins come to mind

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Hellwig in front and a F350 sway bar in the rear. I can measure the diameters tonight if you would like.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suspension Design

Ford designed the Excursion for a certain suspension set up. I am assuming you are talking about a rear sway bar. This can affect handling, although it may improve it. It will make the vehicle more SENSITIVE to steering input. If you put to large a bar on it may oversteer- but for a 6000lb vehicle it would have to be a BIG bar to do this. Bottom line when you change suspension components to something other than the original design be careful. This is the company that brought you Firestone fiasco.

Wannabe
Old 09-10-2002, 02:52 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

At least you can find a swaybar for your truck,, I have a Silverado 2500,,, they dont even make one for it !!!! they have one for the 1500, just not the 3/4 ton
Old 09-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wally is correct, Addco would be the preferred brand.

obnoxus....I think I can get one for your rig now. I think they just came available.

Chart.....if you're interested, pm me and I'll check a price for ya.

Buck
Old 09-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added air bags to our 2001 Excursion and WOW.

What an improvement it made. I did it only to pick the back up a little when the 36 was hooked to it.

But much to my surprise the RIDE & HANDLING were GREATLY improved in every day driving.

My wife who usually does not even notice things like this, had positive comments the first time she drove it.

Air bags are a MUST.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Not sure if you have a PSD or not; big difference in weight up front between the V10 and PSD, and the needs for upgrades are different- the suspension upgrades I have done on mine greatly improved its handling- it's a 2K PSD.

Front springs- change to 'U' codes P/N 1C3Z-5310-AH The PSD 'X" has only 1" or so between the stock front spring and bump stop. These wil give you 2.5+ and still keep a level vehicle.
Add Air-Rite rear bags if the tongue weight makes you sag.

Shocks- stock ones suck! Rancho 9000 adjustables all the way around. Cheapest and best improvement to handling and ride.

Rear sway bar- Helwig P/N 7643. Best price available is JC Whitney (believe it or not!) Front sway bar is adequate 'as is'

Replace the wimpy front steering stabilizer - Edelbrock, Monroe, Rancho, are all good units.

Too bad the Ford engineers didn't provide for a better suspension for a $46K truck out of the factory, but it can be rectified easily.
Jim
Old 09-11-2002, 12:35 AM
Registered

Try this link out.....a lot of good info. Wardey http://www.ford-trucks.com/
Old 09-11-2002, 03:18 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Buck,

Can you check on that for me? I am interesed in one. Thanks !!!

Quick Reply: Excursion sway bar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.